The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When can we extend Jim Bennings contract?

FijianCanuck

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

They're running low on valid arguments these days.

But but losing Corrado for nothing was bad asset management and we could lose Gudbranson for nothing too!

JB has had his wins and fails - on balance I am fairly pleased with the direction of our favourite team and think he deserves an extension.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He's certainly earned a few more yrs with this, at least.

Then check out the 'Nuckin-doomers over at Van's HFboards page..should be uplifting.

Man, I've never really ventured into the Canucks HFBoards until you mentioned this. I guess if we have another winter like last year, the Canucks HFBoards page definitely has enough salt for the entire province of BC. 

Maybe it depends on how the Nux finish this year? 

I think JB deserves the extension given how nicely our prospect pool has come around in the last few years. However, Aqua might be demanding playoffs for an extension, you never know...

I like what JB's done (big picture), there are a few blemishes on his record like the Eriksson contract and trading for Clendenning (I know we were in a pinch, but Forsling though.. Damn). 

The haters will still bang on the "bad contracts" like Sbisa, Sutter and Dorsett, which aren't really bad contracts. (Loui's is actually fricken terrible, unless he can totally turn things around, it's the worst thing JB's done) they'll also question drafting Virtanen and Juolevi.

But the haters can't deny JB's completely revitalized the Canucks through trades and the draft while signing a few UFAs to keep us competitive. The cupboard is in real Gud shape compared to the paltry pantry he inherited.

We actually have hope for the future now and JB's the man to thank. "Torts' stale bread" (MG's)is all but a few crutons now and Green is okay to eat around them.

5 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Man, I've never really ventured into the Canucks HFBoards until you mentioned this. I guess if we have another winter like last year, the Canucks HFBoards page definitely has enough salt for the entire province of BC. 

There's so much nasty pettiness, I've long assumed it's newsworthy info, on par with CNN-tripe.

Prob some Van-haters claiming they back a franchise that they actually detest.

40 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

But but losing Corrado for nothing was bad asset management and we could lose Gudbranson for nothing too!

JB has had his wins and fails - on balance I am fairly pleased with the direction of our favourite team and think he deserves an extension.

Agreed. I'm digging our prospect pool, and he should be re-signed for that alone given the drafting record of previous GM's. Of course he isn't perfect, but he's in the process of digging us out of the basement without a top 3 draft pick. I'll see some more.

46 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Since we let go of Carrado in the 14/15 season he has managed 50 games between 2 teams, a minus 14 or so rating, and 6 points. At the time it looked like poor asset management, long term it was a good call. Carrado is not a blemish on JBs record.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

There's so much nasty pettiness, I've long assumed it's newsworthy info, on par with CNN-tripe.

Prob some Van-haters claiming they back a franchise that they actually detest.

It definitely sounds like it, there's a tank thread in there and posters were actually legitimately upset when the Canucks came back to win last night's game. Such a toxic place, almost makes you embarrassed for them. 

14 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

It definitely sounds like it, there's a tank thread in there and posters were actually legitimately upset when the Canucks came back to win last night's game. Such a toxic place, almost makes you embarrassed for them. 

I just checked out the hfboards and I feel like I just discovered the dark part of the internet. 

10 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Oh man I had to scope out their reaction to Aqualini’s comments. My face hurts from smiling.  

25 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Since we let go of Carrado in the 14/15 season he has managed 50 games between 2 teams, a minus 14 or so rating, and 6 points. At the time it looked like poor asset management, long term it was a good call. Carrado is not a blemish on JBs record.

I was braying like a donkey or a 1040/CA/HF Boards fool and you knew that but I couldn’t help myself to the open door. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Agreed. I'm digging our prospect pool, and he should be re-signed for that alone given the drafting record of previous GM's. Of course he isn't perfect, but he's in the process of digging us out of the basement without a top 3 draft pick. I'll see some more.

Really loving the job we at the most recent draft especially.  Virt's starting to show his potential now that we have a real coach, Boeser is a steal, Pettersson is a stud, and Juolevi will prove doubters wrong if we're patient with him.

I'm hoping he gets to finish the outstanding job he's done cleaning up Gillis' mess.

Guess I struck a nerve on my Guds comment....that's alright, I was wrong about Granlund before (as I've been wrong about a number of things).  Just my opinion (not stating it as fact).  In the end, I want what's best for the club (even if it makes my comments look bad in retrospect).  Note that I'm making a distinction between not liking a trade vs not liking a player.

11 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

An entire message board consisting of that super negative guy you don’t want to get stuck talking to.

They had a 'fire Green' thread after the first 6 games.  Actually, I find them amusing at times, but also kind of sad.  It will be like a bomb dropping on that site when JB gets a new contract.

Archived