FijianCanuck

When can we extend Jim Bennings contract?

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, iceman64 said:

The usual suspects aren't really fans anyway...  cough cough "bandwagon" cough cough.... 

The Canucks under Benning had 2 of their worst seasons in franchise history.  You should google what a bandwagon fan is.  
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I was braying like a donkey or a 1040/CA/HF Boards fool and you knew that but I couldn’t help myself to the open door. Sorry.

you shoulda never gone through that door ;)

14 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

But but losing Corrado for nothing was bad asset management and we could lose Gudbranson for nothing too!

JB has had his wins and fails - on balance I am fairly pleased with the direction of our favourite team and think he deserves an extension.

Corrado sucks. He wasn't making the team, and anyone upset about that late of a pick not being good enough is just silly. 

Also, we COULD lose Guddy for nothing, we won't, but sure we could.  

Benning has been learning as he goes.  He seems to be figuring out the market and what he will get hung up for.  

He missed on trading hamhuis. He got ripped up for it too.  

He made right on Burrows and Hansen. 

He won't be letting Guddy go for nothing. 

Either he gets resigned, or we get a decent return on a valuable asset

Edited by drummerboy
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Corrado sucks. He wasn't making the team, and anyone upset about that late of a pick not being good enough is just silly. 

Benning has been learning as he goes.  He seems to be figuring out the market and what he will get hung up for.  

Agree. Was being sarcastic about Corrado and Guddy. 

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

100% agreed. Benning should get an extension.

No rush. Wait till we win the cup this year and give him that fat raise.

• Hydration 1

17 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gudbranson trade ain't looking so good.  Despite injuries on the blueline, his minutes really haven't increased that much.  Course it's still early in this season.

joqmja0vcavbrxmznblj.jpg

• Hydration 2

23 hours ago, iceman64 said:

The usual suspects aren't really fans anyway...  cough cough "bandwagon" cough cough.... 

If they are the "usual suspects" that means they've been around consistently enough to be labelled "usual", which means they haven't jumped off the wagon, they just don't like the direction it's heading.

Good try, though.

As for Benning, I wouldn't be surprised if he was extended and at this point I don't really think it matters. We're finally on the right path and it doesn't really matter who steers the ship over the next couple years 'cause it's not like we're going to contend anyway. IMO, he should have already been fired for past transgressions but as long as he doesn't do something stupid again like sign Gudbranson to a crippling Eriksson-like deal, I wouldn't be horrified if he stays. Just don't start trading picks and prospects for older players like he did in his first 2.5 years and it's all good.

Edited by kanucks25

10 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:
The Canucks under Benning had 2 of their worst seasons in franchise history.  You should google what a bandwagon fan is.  

You can't fault that on benning. Look at the  contract structure in the line up and look at the dismal drafting leading up to those years. That was more the previous regime loading up in the prime years with no vision for the future.

6 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

You can't fault that on benning. Look at the  contract structure in the line up and look at the dismal drafting leading up to those years. That was more the previous regime loading up in the prime years with no vision for the future.

He tried to win.

Anybody ever play texas hold'em? Benning went all in with a 2-7 off-suit without even seeing the flop.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He tried to win.

Anybody ever play texas hold'em? Benning went all in with a 2-7 off-suit without even seeing the flop.

And made it to the playoffs in his first year.. greatly over achieving

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Yeah, that worked out great. Surprised we didn't have a parade.

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Yeah, that worked out great. Surprised we didn't have a parade.

Lol anyway. Benning has done a great job re stocking the cupboard as well as filling in spots with players from the missed drafts of before like Sutter Granlund Baertschi etc 

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Sedins both in the top ten in the league in points, Willie's coaching (I'm talking about the regular season only) keeping the team fairly fresh down the 'home stretch' in the regular season and solid goaltending (from both Miller & Lack) had something to do with it.

8 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Ironically though Benning didn't give Willie the same benefit of the doubt over the player/prospect circumstances. 

I like Benning but at the end of the day, like Gillis he fired a coach to save his own ass. The difference imo is Benning has the makings of a good GM while Gillis had completely lost all power of judgement he may have had.

Edited by alfstonker

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Ironically though Benning didn't give Willie the same benefit of the doubt over the player/prospect circumstances. 

I like Benning but at the end of the day, like Gillis he fired a coach to save his own ass. The difference imo is Benning has the makings of a good GM while Gillis had completely lost all power of judgement he may have had.

Difference to me is that Benning while has all the makings of a good GM, it's still up in the air at this point (where some things might not be in his control).  Gillis 'lost his way' BUT was still a solid GM in the eyes of his own peers *at one time*.

Yeah GIllis fired AV to save his own job in the end; but don't forget he resisted the strong pressure to can him during his 1st year as GM (during that prolonged losing streak).  AV acknowledged it I think himself.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2