The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When can we extend Jim Bennings contract?

FijianCanuck

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I am a tanker, not a now type.

I want the pain. 

If anyone reading agrees with what quote content I was posting against; that JB has NOT done enough work this season to be rid of any skepticism on that front, then I think you are, coincidentally, the Millennial here... somebody too young to have a reference to what rebuilding entails or what those trades look like. 

Trading for Down and Pouliot are not nearly enough moves for this roster. I can wait for the TDL. I have for decades. Should I expect 5 trades on that day? Is that what your point reduces to, as you conceded that if he hasn’t made rebuild trades by then he won’t have a job...?

Every player on our current roster not named  Boeser or Horvat should be made available at the TDL this year.  

Any of them could / should be moved if the right offer is made. 

13 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I am a tanker, not a now type.

I want the pain. 

If anyone reading agrees with what quote content I was posting against; that JB has NOT done enough work this season to be rid of any skepticism on that front, then I think you are, coincidentally, the Millennial here... somebody too young to have a reference to what rebuilding entails or what those trades look like. 

Trading for Dowd and Pouliot are not nearly enough moves for this roster. I can wait for the TDL. I have for decades. Should I expect 5 trades on that day? Is that what your point reduces to, as you conceded that if he hasn’t made rebuild trades by then he won’t have a job...?

I'm saying that if JB doesn't do anything at the TDL, such as losing Vanek and Gudbranson for nothing, then he will lose his job (if it hasn't already been decided).  As long as he accumulates draft picks/prospects for those trades, that will be a good thing.  I don't know you personally to know how you feel about the club, but your comment made it seem like you wanted things done quickly.  I didn't know a prerequisite on this site was to read everybody's comments from all the threads to know where their views are.  I just commented on your previous quote.  I guess as a tanker you definitely don't want those trades, since you'd rather see the team lose more.

6 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I'm saying that if JB doesn't do anything at the TDL, such as losing Vanek and Gudbranson for nothing, then he will lose his job (if it hasn't already been decided).  As long as he accumulates draft picks/prospects for those trades, that will be a good thing.  I don't know you personally to know how you feel about the club, but your comment made it seem like you wanted things done quickly.  I didn't know a prerequisite on this site was to read everybody's comments from all the threads to know where their views are.  I just commented on your previous quote.  I guess as a tanker you definitely don't want those trades, since you'd rather see the team lose more.

As a tanker.   Many of us just want to see the club move older declining vets for younger players that still have upside / improvement.

We don't want to prop up the club with UFA's  to artificially  hurt our drafting position. 

9 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

And I said, trading for Dowd and Pouliot was not enough work to make me think JB is having a notable stretch, here. 

If he is waiting for the TDL to do something, anything, he must have his reasons, but still, why? Why wait? 

Tankers love high picks in each round. 

I love JB as a GM... a record setting stretch of top 6 picks. 

Keep him until they start placing above lotto contention! 

This is a god send, accidental or not. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

As a tanker.   Many of us just want to see the club move older declining vets for younger players that still have upside / improvement.

We don't want to prop up the club with UFA's  to artificially  hurt our drafting position. 

I understand the reasoning of tank nation.  I just don't agree with it, especially with the new draft system.  If it was the old system where worst team gets #1 pick, sure go all in for tank nation.  But with the lottery system in place now, tanking does nothing.  Propping up the club with UFA's can actually help gain more draft picks though, provided that you don't sign the UFA's to long term deals.  Wanting all the young players to play, instead of when the time is right, is basically tanking the future of the club also.  ie. Edmonton model.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

And I said, trading for Dowd and Pouliot was not enough work to make me think JB is having a notable stretch, here. 

If he is waiting for the TDL to do something, anything, he must have his reasons, but still, why? Why wait? 

Tankers love high picks in each round. 

I love JB as a GM... a record setting stretch of top 6 picks. 

Keep him until they start placing above lotto contention! 

This is a god send, accidental or not. 

You need a trading partner to make a trade.  That's probably why the wait.  Can't trade with yourself.  A lot of teams are probably still evaluating on what they're going to do at the TDL.

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

I understand the reasoning of tank nation.  I just don't agree with it, especially with the new draft system.  If it was the old system where worst team gets #1 pick, sure go all in for tank nation.  But with the lottery system in place now, tanking does nothing.  Propping up the club with UFA's can actually help gain more draft picks though, provided that you don't sign the UFA's to long term deals.  Wanting all the young players to play, instead of when the time is right, is basically tanking the future of the club also.  ie. Edmonton model.

JB is clearly really good at the draft, especially after round one.  Trading UFAs for picks is what he should do.  Are his hands tied by ownership though?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

JB is clearly really good at the draft, especially after round one.  Trading UFAs for picks is what he should do.  Are his hands tied by ownership though?  

I hope his hands aren't tied, and if they are, they should let him go.  I hope he gets good value for Vanek and Gudbranson at the TDL, like he did last year for Hansen and Burrows.  If he can manage a haul like that, I'd say give Benning another 4 year extension!

7 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

You need a trading partner to make a trade.  That's probably why the wait.  Can't trade with yourself.  A lot of teams are probably still evaluating on what they're going to do at the TDL.

If the TDL is ho-hum, the pitch forks are coming out, mine included.

Enough uneventful deadlines have passed under his nose to finally decide on his tenure here. He can go back to scouting. 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

If the TDL is ho-hum, the pitch forks are coming out, mine included.

Enough uneventful deadlines have passed under his nose to finally decide on his tenure here. He can go back to scouting. 

If the TDL is uneventful, you know that JB had his hands tied, and will be gone by season's end.  No need for the pitch forks, the writing will already be on the wall.

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

If the TDL is uneventful, you know that JB had his hands tied, and will be gone by season's end.  No need for the pitch forks, the writing will already be on the wall.

Amen to that.

With the noise right now about his interview, it reads like we are watching the writing in real time. 

I’d keep JB over Linden, if it came down to it. 

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎26 at 9:51 PM, appleboy said:

Are they trying to build on the fly or just trying to keep a buffer of vets around their kids. Edmonton ruined a lot of players by putting them in charge of the team. Let's face the facts. We have been in the bottom of the league anyway. A few extra picks versus better development. Lots of mixed feelings about what was the right thing to do.

Here we go with "if we did things differently we'd be Edmonton."  Toronto was led by kids last year and did just fine.  It's a stale argument from 2 years ago that if you have a bad team it'll ruin your prospects and you'll be Edmonton.  Boeser & Horvat have developed just fine on absolutely garbage teams.  

It's a rebuild.  I'll take the draft picks over old vets thanks.  

On 1/26/2018 at 9:15 PM, Warhippy said:

Read this on HF...absolutely disgusting the kind of comments they lobbed over there about his family/personal life.

We may be pretty awful here at times but glad to see nearly to a poster we're head and shoulders above HF

Posters on the HF boards are pathetic scum. I'm glad that CDC has a modicum of tact. I hope to Benning running the show here for four more years. He's earned it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived