The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When can we extend Jim Bennings contract?

FijianCanuck

18 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Too much truth in your post for the choir. Amen !   Post of the week! 

P.S.: Next time try not to put so much fact in one single post so don't overload "the Benning Lemming's".

If you got the Canucks GM job in a parallel universe and You did absolutely nothing. Didn’t make a single trade. Just picked your picks signed the next UFA who wants to prove he can still play in the NHL where you come short and did interviews, gelled your hair, ect. IMHO this team would have had a similar journey to this point standing wise with an extra lottery pick instead of Boeser. We would have a bigger and possibly better prospect pool (McDavid?) like $20M in capsace and respect from other GM’s. 

53 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

Jim Benning. He either hits a homer on the draft floor or pulls down his trousers and takes a crap on it. With how Quickly 1st Rnd picks are making an impact in this league. He pretty much blew it on Virtanen and Juolevi which are critical mistakes. Anyone who can look you in the eye and tell you this team wouldn’t Any better than it is today if we didn’t just listen to like Bob McKenzie or whoever for at least 1 of those 2 picks is frozen in a state of denial. I’ll give Jim credit where credit is due but for a guy who has finished at the bottom of the leaugue with a full cap hit and 2 franchise defining draft picks farts that will probably set us back another 5 years. He sure has a loyal following. 

Ya, we are better off today than we were before he came but how can one honestly hail him as a god when it’s impossible to know what someone else would have done under the exact same circumstances. 

thats interesting, we'd have Alexander Nylander instead of Juolevi. I'll leave it to you to research just how bad that would be for us. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes, yes it could. 

It doesn’t matter, I could sit here and cry all day about who we should have picked, it’s meaningless.

The point I’m trying to dive homer here is that for this demigod Scout to pick Jake Virtanen and Oli Juolevi with players in direct reach who are clearly impactful in the NHL today and even yesterday is totally unforgivable. His arrogance betrayed him. 

Somebody please kidnap Jim Benning and sedate him from the last pick of the 7th round to the 1st pick of the 2nd round the following year. We would be so much better off. 

9 hours ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

It doesn’t matter, I could sit here and cry all day about who we should have picked, it’s meaningless.

The point I’m trying to dive homer here is that for this demigod Scout to pick Jake Virtanen and Oli Juolevi with players in direct reach who are clearly impactful in the NHL today and even yesterday is totally unforgivable. His arrogance betrayed him. 

Somebody please kidnap Jim Benning and sedate him from the last pick of the 7th round to the 1st pick of the 2nd round the following year. We would be so much better off. 

it might be easier if you sedate yourself. 

the fact is tho the Canucks now have the best prospect pool its ever had. Boeser, Pettersson, Lind, OJ, Gadjovich, Dahlen, Goldy, etc etc. Future looks bright. Could it be better, sure it could. Could it be worse, oh yes, very much worse.

you seem fixated on Jake so lets look at that. the only other two picks within reason would be Nylander and Ehlers (I'm not counting Larkin as no one drops 6 to 15, even you'd agree with that). Ehlers was a mini-me, a total smurf. Nylander had a good year in MODO but was also pretty slim, even Bob McKenzie had him 9th. Lots of scouts had Jake higher (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/) and some lower. It wasn't really a consensus year after Draisaitl.

So yeah, you can moan about Jake and we may be better off with Ehlers or Nylander, but your idea that we'd be better off without Jim's picks is pretty weak. 

9 hours ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

I agree with your idea that JB is arrogant about his talents to "out draft" the other GM's, even given fewer picks.  That's evidenced by his trading away picks, rather than acquiring them, even during a rebuilding phase.  

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it might be easier if you sedate yourself. 

the fact is tho the Canucks now have the best prospect pool its ever had. Boeser, Pettersson, Lind, OJ, Gadjovich, Dahlen, Goldy, etc etc. Future looks bright. Could it be better, sure it could. Could it be worse, oh yes, very much worse.

you seem fixated on Jake so lets look at that. the only other two picks within reason would be Nylander and Ehlers (I'm not counting Larkin as no one drops 6 to 15, even you'd agree with that). Ehlers was a mini-me, a total smurf. Nylander had a good year in MODO but was also pretty slim, even Bob McKenzie had him 9th. Lots of scouts had Jake higher (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/) and some lower. It wasn't really a consensus year after Draisaitl.

So yeah, you can moan about Jake and we may be better off with Ehlers or Nylander, but your idea that we'd be better off without Jim's picks is pretty weak. 

This is how the NHL works now. You have a salary cap so you build and develop players through the draft. 

When you smear a bottle of dippty-doo in your hair, waltz into the press conference of your hiring and spend like 45 mins telling everyone how you are a scouting god and how you are going to draft a franchise player with the 6th pick you need to be held accountable. 

If I look at some of the glorious turds on our roster that simply don’t play to their contracts and aren’t expressing their value in what we exchanged them for I see a dud pulling the strings. I don’t care how serviceable Suter or LE are, their equivalents can be acquired  at a 75% discount to what we are paying. Hell we probably already have those guys floating around in our system.

Everyone’s prospect pool is better now than it was 10 years ago. The teams that are +\- in the same tier as us anyway. What he has done is nothing special. How can you say with absolute certainty another GM couldn’t have built something comparable or better? 

Benning is as overrated as Kelowna. 

Just now, Snidely Whiplash said:

This is how the NHL works now. You have a salary cap so you build and develop players through the draft. 

When you smear a bottle of dippty-doo in your hair, waltz into the press conference of your hiring and spend like 45 mins telling everyone how you are a scouting god and how you are going to draft a franchise player with the 6th pick you need to be held accountable. 

If I look at some of the glorious turds on our roster that simply don’t play to their contracts and aren’t expressing their value in what we exchanged them for I see a dud pulling the strings. I don’t care how serviceable Suter or LE are, their equivalents can be acquired  at a 75% discount to what we are paying. Hell we probably already have those guys floating around in our system.

Everyone’s prospect pool is better now than it was 10 years ago. The teams that are +\- in the same tier as us anyway. What he has done is nothing special. How can you say with absolute certainty another GM couldn’t have built something comparable or better? 

so sticking to the idea of drafting, yes of course Jim needs to be held accountable. Is Jake a "bust" no not yet, but if he does end up that way I'd actually say its more a failure of development than drafting if anything. I do think he'd be scoring more away from the Sedin line but again thats a coaching issue. As far as his draft position goes, again there were a lot of really sound hockey minds with Jake in and around the #6 spot, it wasn't just a Benning thing. He didn't go off the board to get him so your argument doesn't really hold up. But yes for sure I would like to see Jim held accountable if Jakes development is a bust.

No everyone's pool isn't better - we actually now have players at or near the top of Euro, NCAA, OHL, WHL and AHL standings, not every team has that by any stretch, but of course some do too.

I'm sure there are GMs who could have teased out a few more good players, but in what world would we have been able to hire them? I don't see who else we could have hired that would come to this market that would be better. It would have been great to get Lombardi but the timing wasn't right. 

11 hours ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

With how Quickly 1st Rnd picks are making an impact in this league. He pretty much blew it on Virtanen and Juolevi which are critical mistakes. Anyone who can look you in the eye and tell you this team wouldn’t Any better than it is today if we didn’t just listen to like Bob McKenzie or whoever for at least 1 of those 2 picks is frozen in a state of denial.

10 hours ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

Here's where you're making your mistake. Benning didn't draft players he felt would have the quickest impact, he drafted who he felt would be the best players long term.

It really has very little to do with making the team better now and far more to do with what the team looks like in 2+ years. Neither Nylander or Tkachuck makes this team a contender right now but they would arguably push us closer to mediocrity/playoff position and a higher pick which all the tankers on here would argue is counterproductive :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so sticking to the idea of drafting, yes of course Jim needs to be held accountable. Is Jake a "bust" no not yet, but if he does end up that way I'd actually say its more a failure of development than drafting if anything. I do think he'd be scoring more away from the Sedin line but again thats a coaching issue. As far as his draft position goes, again there were a lot of really sound hockey minds with Jake in and around the #6 spot, it wasn't just a Benning thing. He didn't go off the board to get him so your argument doesn't really hold up. But yes for sure I would like to see Jim held accountable if Jakes development is a bust.

No everyone's pool isn't better - we actually now have players at or near the top of Euro, NCAA, OHL, WHL and AHL standings, not every team has that by any stretch, but of course some do too.

I'm sure there are GMs who could have teased out a few more good players, but in what world would we have been able to hire them? I don't see who else we could have hired that would come to this market that would be better. It would have been great to get Lombardi but the timing wasn't right. 

The only reason Virtanen was ranked 6th ish was because everyone knew we would be taking him at 6th because he is a big fast PF from Abbotsford. Crag Button had none of that. Said he was toilet material. 

I define bust as a player drafted sooner than his actual PROformance suggests. How does JV not clearly define this? If he was selected in the 2nd round, there would be no issue whatsoever with his development.

Super Scout took a crap on the draft floor, nothing wrong with being aware of ones surroundings enough to be able to identify that. And Juolevi. Same thing. 2nd round = ya Juolevi!!!! 

1st round = OMG why Juolevi?!!?. 

9 minutes ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

The only reason Virtanen was ranked 6th ish was because everyone knew we would be taking him at 6th because he is a big fast PF from Abbotsford. Crag Button had none of that. Said he was toilet material. 

I define bust as a player drafted sooner than his actual PROformance suggests. How does JV not clearly define this? If he was selected in the 2nd round, there would be no issue whatsoever with his development.

Super Scout took a crap on the draft floor, nothing wrong with being aware of ones surroundings enough to be able to identify that. And Juolevi. Same thing. 2nd round = ya Juolevi!!!! 

now you're just making stuff up. Button had him at 6th, if he thought he should be lower or higher he would have ranked him there, Button was the first guy to have Makar in the top 5, he's not afraid to speak his mind and doesn't go off hypothetical GM picks. 

why not Juolevi?

1 minute ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

If you think he is one of Benning’s best picks then you might be a White Oakley sunglass wearing, jacked up Diesel driving, Tapout shirt wearing, Albertan who cheers for both Calgary and Edmonton for the good of Alberta.  

tumblr_inline_osgqdaQkqZ1tjaxos_540.gif.375293ee6d609a0a88849d267cae0554.gif

1 hour ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

you're sounding more and more like a laffs fan:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

now you're just making stuff up. Button had him at 6th, if he thought he should be lower or higher he would have ranked him there, Button was the first guy to have Makar in the top 5, he's not afraid to speak his mind and doesn't go off hypothetical GM picks. 

why not Juolevi?

If you'd like some more laughs, head over to the Gudbranson Rumours thread. Apparently Dorsett's now a top 6 player who should command $5m+ on his next contract.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you'd like some more laughs, head over to the Gudbranson Rumours thread. Apparently Dorsett's now a top 6 player who should command $5m+ on his next contract.

Well, a little humor can be fun.... Reminds me of C-tron and his sidekick Arty57 from over on Sportsnet.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:
3 hours ago, Snidely Whiplash said:

why not Juolevi?

No he isn't, Virtanen WAS listedd at #6 on a few, very few draft rankings lists but he probably average around 11 to 16 on most. I looked at 10 lists I think it was, the end of season lists are still available on the net.

OJ? Well that goes to the other thread, if the team had not gotten rid of Forsling then they could have drafted the next BPA, Tkachuk instead and had two potential power forwards and a drafted dman playing in the NHL now, not MAYBE in another 2 years. Forsling has the skills Benning etal described the team needs/needed.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

One aspect of the prospects has to do with the existing team and perspective.

On a poor team players MAY make the team that wouldn't on a cup contender. Could you honestly say that Guance would have made the 2010 Canucks?

That is just an example  but it runs through the entire line up, soon there should be 4 to 6 prospects that can play better than the Sedins, but then there may be 500 to 600 NHL players that can play can play better than them as well.

This is NOT being negative, it is simply this is still a "bottom of the league" team, moving up, but still closer to the bottom than the top and as such easier to make the team.

And

That is not saying that these prospects won't be NHLers' but maybe not as great as hope would want, until they play in the NHL it is still a crap shoot. There have been 1rst overall picks that bomb and guys like Benn that come out of the wood work, until in the show they are window dressing.

Archived