The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring a top 3 D man (Right handed shot)

Rush17

Do you think  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know he's a left but I'd have a good look at Larssen in Anaheim. 20 year old, never going to crack that thick defence, and putting up some big AHL points already. The Ducks have been fantastic at drafting puck moving defenceman and Larssen is the next Shea Theodore/Vaatanen/Lindholm/Montour really.

I'd do Granlund for Larssen straight up, maybe they throw in a later pick to sweeten the deal. This kid is going to be a 40 point slick skating puck mover in a couple years time.

Hutton has been a disappointment and had far too high expectations heaped on him for a 5th rounder. He's going to be a bottom pairing D-man at best, and honestly wouldn't crack most NHL defences this season. Juolevi is looking like he's steadying his game but is still a while away. Pouliot looks fantastic, and MDZ will be with us for a while, but it'd be nice to have another decent young guy on the left side.

Could set us up nicely for this in the future

Larssen - 2018 1st round pick (Merkley would be lovely)

Juolevi - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Hutton

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know he's a left but I'd have a good look at Larssen in Anaheim. 20 year old, never going to crack that thick defence, and putting up some big AHL points already. The Ducks have been fantastic at drafting puck moving defenceman and Larssen is the next Shea Theodore/Vaatanen/Lindholm/Montour really.

I'd do Granlund for Larssen straight up, maybe they throw in a later pick to sweeten the deal. This kid is going to be a 40 point slick skating puck mover in a couple years time.

Hutton has been a disappointment and had far too high expectations heaped on him for a 5th rounder. He's going to be a bottom pairing D-man at best, and honestly wouldn't crack most NHL defences this season. Juolevi is looking like he's steadying his game but is still a while away. Pouliot looks fantastic, and MDZ will be with us for a while, but it'd be nice to have another decent young guy on the left side.

Could set us up nicely for this in the future

Larssen - 2018 1st round pick (Merkley would be lovely)

Juolevi - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Hutton

Another leftie?  hmmm.. we'd have to move hutton and hope pouliot doesn't garner top 4 money to afford that.  I think were pretty decent on the left side unless we can upgrade on one of the guys.  I like Larssen a lot though!  I have traded for him in NHL 17 for funzies lol. i like the type of player he becomes for sure.  Not sure if he's projected to be better then Juolevi tho. maybe but i have no idea.

If you look at our current team and our prospects, it is pretty clear that it's our D that requires the most work at this point.  We have some OK defensemen, but haven't really had that defenseman who can really put up points since... when... the Ehrhoff era around 2010 or 2011?  Our points from the back end are seriously lacking, and have been for some time.

Yet, we have an abundance of middle six prospects (or higher).  I think we can afford to send one of them off possibly along with another current defenseman if required to get a defenseman back who is likely to progress into a true PMD role for us.  Since ideally we would like that defenseman to come into his own around the same time our current prospects do, then we're looking for a guy who already has some pro experience, no younger than 20 years old and likely no older than about 22ish. 

But it may be best for Benning to wait until TDL as contending teams might be interested in some of the guys currently on the roster instead of us depleting the prospect pool again.  I can see guys like Edler or Sutter being of use in the playoffs, and of course our tradebait like Guddy and/or Vanek.

We definitely need to do something though.  If we make the playoffs or even want to prepare for doing so going forward, our back end scoring absolutely needs to be addressed. And while team toughness might be able to be distributed through the lineup, you really need star defensemen who can step up - especially on the PP.

Agree with the OP that D should be the focus (within limits obviously).  The right side is the real worry.  This is why I think that Benning will try to keep Guddy in the short term at least.  To this point, he's beginning to look like a 5/6 and not the 3/4 that Benning was looking for which means he should continue being paid in the $3.5M range.

Like Gilman suggested, Guddy wants much more, and would be offered much more on the open market.  I think it's ok if they get less back than they paid (McCann, 2nd).  It sucks but they need an asset rather than nothing.

They really need warm bodies on the right side.  Besides Guddy, there's Tanev (27), Stecher (23), Biega (29) and the not ready for prime time Chatfield (21).  I really don't think Subban (22) will ever play in the NHL (please don't flame, it's only an opinion).  I don't think anybody would argue but the depth here is thin.

On the other hand, the left side is good.  I really think that Juolevi will be fine.  The early indications are that Pouliot will turn into a real find.  The 25 year old Phillip Holm is looking strong in Utica.  Hutton, Briesbois, McEneny.  Edler could be effective for longer than people think.  I know that people are panting for him to be gone.  I'm just not sure that management would agree.  Del Zotto is only 27

Have we ever had a stud d-man? I mean like, one that we drafted? Seems to me that any stud d-man we've acquired were gotten via trade. And really only when the team was considered a playoff contender. Jeff Brown, Sammi Salo and the aforementioned Christian Ehrhoff All acquired from other teams. I guess you could call Harold and Garth stud d-men that we drafted. However, that was old time hockey. Different game now.

Maybe we'll get lucky and one of our players in the system will blossom. I'm high on Juolevi, but is he gonna be elite!!?!?!?! I dunno. Maybe elite is not what it's cracked up to be. Balance might be better. Better to have a good all around d-core rather than one elite stud and a bunch of so so dudes me thinks. I'm not gonna bring up Bourdon......Oh wait a sec. I just did!

Go Canucks Go!

22 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Mon-TOUR! ya that would lol  but if he scores? im game.  

I like Pouliot! sounds dope

I like Pouliot. 

That's 14 1st rounders including Gaunce and Pouliot currently on the team. Has there ever been a team with so many 1st rounders at once?

On 11/10/2017 at 10:01 AM, Warhippy said:

We'll have one in June.

He shall be named Boqvist or Merkley

We won't be in position to get Boqvist and Merkley's too one dimensional. Might as well, simply, give Subban his shot.

If we could get into the top 15, I'd like to grab Wilde. He has all the tools to be a premier defenseman and has intangibles Benning likes. 

Another option I'd like to throw out there is a prospect in the Tampa system. Erik Cernak. Big, physical, defensively reliable and can play on the PP. He takes few penatlies. He is also in the same age bracket to peak with our new core. Needs to work on his skating but would be a great piece in our top six.

Tampa is deep on the blueline and a spot for Cernak could be unrealistic.   

Regardless of regular season success, we are not a serious contender for a cup this year and a first round appearance, imo, would be counter productive.

Taking advantage of veteran value is the smarter play for long term success. Acquiring Cernak makes more veteran players available to teams looking for depth.

Tampa, for example, is a deep team. and really has it together this year. Adding a player like Dorsett solidifies their depth at the forward position. He's shown passion and strength to be a shutdown guy. His injury is, clearly, a thing of the past and is not a concern. He's cooled off on the offensive front but, if he can start putting pucks in the net again, his stock goes even higher. They have a player in Callahan that they'd, dearly, love to get off their books. With the Sedins contracts coming to an end, we could absorb that contract. Goldobin is very close to ready and is still on a very affordable contract. Depending on their desire, we could, maybe, even turn the Callahan contract into a package involving Cernak and a pick or two. A deal involving Dorsett for Cernak becomes realistic. Vancouver management could then look at trading other assets to move up in the draft to get Wilde.

When all's said and done. our defense looks something like this:

Hutton           Stetcher

Juolevi           Wilde

Pouliot            Cernak

Cederholm/Gunnarson

This is a core that, imho, is set up for years of success. It's effective in all three zones, it's dynamic and it's deep. The top six provide the big minutes with Cederholm or Gunnarsson (which ever proves the better player) providing penalty kill support and situational play. 

Is it going to happen? Of course not but it sure would be cool if it did.

I think we definitely need offense from the back end. I don't think we have anyone currently on our roster that fits the bill.

That being said you need gudbranson and tryamkin to play along side these offensive defensemen.

So do we need to make a trade? Sure but not gudbranson. What we need to do is upgrade. Stetcher maybe... Hutton maybe... trade as per maybe... quandary is stetcher and Hutton aren't horrible...

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Rush17 said:

Looking at how Gudbranson is playing in his contract year.  Being super inconsistent and truly not coming as advertised. I think we should replace him with a player who better fits Green's playstyle.  MDZ and Pouliot fit that style and we have seen significant improve on our puck movement.   I think we should flip Gudbranson along with a skilled forward for a skilled #3 D man (Right shot).

If we were to do something along these lines.  Who would be a good target for us to look at?  someone with speed, skill, and can contribute offensively?

In terms of needing his physicality. I don't think that should ever fall on one player and in our division we need a more collective physical presence.  He has failed to deliver and its sad when a guy a 1/3 his size in dorsett is more willing to engage and protect his teammates. I don't think he fits our team's mold and he has been extremely disappointing imo.

Who would you target?

Brandon Montour perhaps? whom else might fit that role? i think a bonafide #3 d man would be ideal.  

Please note this is not a hate guddy thread. I like him when hes engaged but I just don't think he has in him what we were hoping to get out of him.  Share who you would like to target?

Tyson Barrie perhaps? whom are you thinking?

Gudbranson, Hutton and Goldobin for Ekblad?

Archived