The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson and Edler? Do We Really Need Them?

vladimirpuck

I don't think it's a coincidence that since these guys were put back in the lineup the team has sucked. We might need Edler because of Tanev but I think a large pylon would be better than Edler right now. Right now Eriksson is no Virtanen which says a lot about how bad Eriksson is right now. Virtanen at least has speed and 2 more goals, I can't see how Eriksson can even score a goal with how he's playing. Looking at him tonight against the Sharks I just kept seeing...

a8deb5fd-daba-47e8-96dc-9a42a2a1d522_TVA

52 minutes ago, vladimirpuck said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that since these guys were put back in the lineup the team has sucked. We might need Edler because of Tanev but I think a large pylon would be better than Edler right now. Right now Eriksson is no Virtanen which says a lot about how bad Eriksson is right now. Virtanen at least has speed and 2 more goals, I can't see how Eriksson can even score a goal with how he's playing. Looking at him tonight against the Sharks I just kept seeing...

a8deb5fd-daba-47e8-96dc-9a42a2a1d522_TVA

Why don't you think it's a coincidence? Is it because you dislike them so much you insist that is the reason we lost?

We happen to have played 2 of the heaviest/best teams in the West on the road as part of a 5 games in 8 days. Both these players have come back from debilitating injuries.

Also if you had watched the last 5 games you would have noted that our play has been deteriorating well before the last 2 games. Even the Flames game should have been a Loss.

We are going through a bad patch. It happens to every team, unfortunately we have also had some unfortunate injuries which hasn't helped and in fact has upset the chemistry.

We (and this is just my opinion) also have to carry two ageing pros who have become hellishly slow and contribute little on the ice. We get away with it when everyone else is playing well but sadly that is not the case just now.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Why don't you think it's a coincidence? Is it because you dislike them so much you insist that is the reason we lost?

We happen to have played 2 of the heaviest/best teams in the West on the road as part of a 5 games in 8 days. Both these players have come back from debilitating injuries.

Also if you had watched the last 5 games you would have noted that our play has been deteriorating well before the last 2 games. Even the Flames game should have been a Loss.

We are going through a bad patch. It happens to every team, unfortunately we have also had some unfortunate injuries which hasn't helped and in fact has upset the chemistry.

We (and this is just my opinion) also have to carry two ageing pros who have become hellishly slow and contribute little on the ice. We get away with it when everyone else is playing well but sadly that is not the case just now.

At least we always have you for the excuses :picard:

I'm no fan of Eriksson, but he played pretty well vs. the Sharks.  I'm no fan of Edler, but he's a solid NHL d-man and he does stuff like winning puck battles, boxing opposing players out and laying the body better than any other Canucks d-man.  So to the question being asked, I'd say maybe we don't need Eriksson (would rather see Virtanen in the line up) and yes to Edler.

I think the question Canucks fans should be asking is: "Ben Hutton.  Do we really need him?".  I'd like to see Patrick Wiercioch (or Evan McEneny) play in place of Hutton, and make toothy wonder watch a few games from the press box.

28 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Sedins retire, buy out Ericksson, trade Edler - 25 million in space . Canucks win 1st OA 2018 and draft Dahlin

Sign Tavares at 11.5, Bailey at 5, Kane at 6.

Canucks win the cup 2019 (insert sarcasm) . Benning becomes a god 

Because you don't seem to know how buy outs work, we would still be paying Loui 5.5M for the first two years of buying him out. Then we would have to pay him $500,000 for the remaining 6 years. He also has a NMC this season and a NTC next. And also have to factor in signing bonuses. It's almost cheaper just to keep him around another year. That's how bad that contract is.

4 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Eriksson and Edler combined for 10 shots on net, 5 a piece. The most on the team. The problems run deeper than just 2 players. Too many people here have tunnel vision.

Weren't 4 of those 5 Edler shots - point blank off the knee pads of an opponent standing 1 foot in front of him?   (Edlers specialty !) 

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

Weren't 4 of those 5 Edler shots - point blank off the knee pads of an opponent standing 1 foot in front of him?   (Edlers specialty !) 

Is there a coincidence between these two players BIG MONEY long term deals and their now horrific (soft) play?  Maybe they get injured too, because they’re not training as hard as before the long term BIG MONEY contracts too?  They aren’t exactly high compete guys either.  

44 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Because you don't seem to know how buy outs work, we would still be paying Loui 5.5M for the first two years of buying him out. Then we would have to pay him $500,000 for the remaining 6 years. He also has a NMC this season and a NTC next. And also have to factor in signing bonuses. It's almost cheaper just to keep him around another year. That's how bad that contract is.

I can't imagine what possessed Benning to give Erickson such a contract. 

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

9rqK31N.jpg

Archived