The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson and Edler? Do We Really Need Them?

vladimirpuck

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is there a coincidence between these two players BIG MONEY long term deals and their now horrific (soft) play?  Maybe they get injured too, because they’re not training as hard as before the long term BIG MONEY contracts too?  They aren’t exactly high compete guys either.  

Agreed.  We've seen this many times in the past with players in their "sunset" years going through the motions after they get their last big contract and becoming parasites!

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

Agreed.  We've seen this many times in the past with players in their "sunset" years going through the motions after they get their last big contract and becoming parasites!

There are guys, like the Twins, who do everything to give 100% of what they have left, and train their hardest, and compete their best.  They just get old.  Then there are the “sunset/ retirement” guys, who collect the big money, and don’t really put in the effort to compete.  We’ve had more than a few of those types here over the years.  

IMO it is more important how the younger players are progressing rather than whether the vets will get it together. It is a process where vets can mentor younger players but at the end of the day it takes TOI and time. I said at the beginning of the year that there were to many vets. The priority had to be development, assessment, acquisition and a strong 2018 Drat day. Nothing has changed.

To the credit of the existing roster there is no quit. There was not under Desjardin and that continues under Green. The Twins are becoming popular targets for why the team performance is not what is hoped for. Most accept that they cannot perform as in the past. The issue is whether given their decline whether they can contribute in other ways to make their retention worth while. I am on record for not resigning them and stand by that. My reasoning is that their game suffers under the speed and size of the NHL game today. Their d-zone game has never been strong which does not help when allocating TOI. Horvat's line is taking the top defences on and there is no consistent secondary scoring to take advantage of that.    

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There are guys, like the Twins, who do everything to give 100% of what they have left, and train their hardest, and compete their best.  They just get old.  Then there are the “sunset/ retirement” guys, who collect the big money, and don’t really put in the effort to compete.  We’ve had more than a few of those types here over the years.  

Absolutely.  The first parasite that comes to mind is Matt Sundin (A.K.A. Door-Matt and another parasitic Sweedish "has-been").  But then we've had others like "SLO-MO' (Morrison), Bieksa (who only played hard his contract years and a host of others too many to list.  Too bad these contracts are not tied to performance!  Wouldn't that be something (but makes too much sense).

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMO it is more important how the younger players are progressing rather than whether the vets will get it together. It is a process where vets can mentor younger players but at the end of the day it takes TOI and time. I said at the beginning of the year that there were to many vets. The priority had to be development, assessment, acquisition and a strong 2018 Drat day. Nothing has changed.

To the credit of the existing roster there is no quit. There was not under Desjardin and that continues under Green. The Twins are becoming popular targets for why the team performance is not what is hoped for. Most accept that they cannot perform as in the past. The issue is whether given their decline whether they can contribute in other ways to make their retention worth while. I am on record for not resigning them and stand by that. My reasoning is that their game suffers under the speed and size of the NHL game today. Their d-zone game has never been strong which does not help when allocating TOI. Horvat's line is taking the top defences on and there is no consistent secondary scoring to take advantage of that.    

Yes, there is no quit in guys like the Twins.  They are super competitive.  They are older now though, so even trying their best just might not be good enough.  However, since we are likely to finish bottom five, it’s best to just struggle on this one more year until the crop of youngsters is more ready.  Then I see a lot of current roster guys being pushed out.  Except Errikson.  Don’t know what to do with that mistake.

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Absolutely.  The first parasite that comes to mind is Matt Sundin (A.K.A. Door-Matt and another parasitic Sweedish "has-been").  But then we've had others like "SLO-MO' (Morrison), Bieksa (who only played hard his contract years and a host of others too many to list.  Too bad these contracts are not tied to performance!  Wouldn't that be something (but makes too much sense).

Messier?  The NFL doesn’t have guaranteed contracts.  Their guys get a certain amount that’s guaranteed, but can be cut at any time. 

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

eh?  Much as I disliked Sundin when he wore the Laffs jersey - I wouldn't call him a parasite.  A parasite would be a player who took the option on the 2nd year of that deal.  Lucky for us (actually lucky for Gillis who was the guy that offered him that option), he wasn't Messier greedy & taken that 2nd year.

Was the guy like an eighty year old with severe health problems during the regular season with us?  Absolutely.  Was he one of our better forwards in the post-season (when it REALLY counts)?  IMHO, he was.

At the very least, we'll have this memory:

There's a VAST difference between the time Messier the puke was Canuck & Sundin as a Canuck. 

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

eh?  Much as I disliked Sundin when he wore the Laffs jersey - I wouldn't call him a parasite.  A parasite would be a player who took the option on the 2nd year of that deal.  Lucky for us (actually lucky for Gillis who was the guy that offered him that option), he wasn't Messier greedy & taken that 2nd year.

Was the guy like an eighty year old with severe health problems during the regular season with us?  Absolutely.  Was he one of our better forwards in the post-season (when it REALLY counts)?  IMHO, he was.

At the very least, we'll have this memory:

There's a VAST difference between the time Messier the puke was Canuck & Sundin as a Canuck. 

Thanks for sharing that vid.  That sure brings back memories.  I forgot about all the other parasites we used to have on the team like Dementia (Demitra) and Doughnut-Boy (Wellwood).   I guess things could actually be worse than they are after watching that!

Eriksson has been a disaster and now we're stuck with that albatross of a contract.  Vanek, Gagner, and Burmistrov all take turns mailing it in, we're lucky if any of them show up.  Then the Sedins who probably played their worse game in over 10 years last night.  If Boeser or Virtanen turned it over like Hank did on that shorty it would equate to a one way trip to Utica.  I hate this double standard where the vets get impunity no matter how bad they play while the young players have to constantly look over their shoulders.  

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Don't get me wrong, for the cap hit they are bad value players but they are far from the biggest problems this team has. We will have a plethora of salary cap off the books after this season so this should be the last year that it's an issue.

It's not a foregone conclusion that the twins will retire at the end of this season

6 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i nominated mysef to take erikssons place because im drunk af, i skate at like 2mph, i stumble a lot, even when im not drunk, and when i shoot a puck, it'll go into the crowd or at someones face, but you'll at least know that i'm trying to hit the net, but advantage us, if i take out some faces

Would you take $5.9M a year for 6 years?

Its an irrelevant question. We have them and neither is being traded. Loui actually was one of our better forwards last night but nothing is going to improve the Sedins together at this point, it is what it is. Its painful to watch the Sedin's together now. I wish management could get over the myth and treat them like any other two NHL players would be treated and split them up.

The team was heading this way before they came back the devils game the flames game - grossly out played, it was only a matter of time before this team came back to reality. 

Hard to blame the d men when the combine scoring for the last two games has been a whooping 1 goal. 

Eriksson is a good player and helps defensively, is he a 6mill player on this team or any team absolulty not but perhaps you didn’t notice the pk was actually pretty good with those two back.

Neither is going anywhere nobody will touch the louie contracts and edler said he won’t waive more than once. 

We don't really "need" anyone on the current roster except Horvat and Boeser. The rest of the roster can be built during our rebuild.  Don't get me wrong, I love many on our roster, but none are indispensable. Eriksson was a terrible signing and Edler is getting older and hasn't been durable since his back injury, so, no, we don't really need them.  I doubt Eriksson stays for the duration of his contract. 

Eriksson at least looks like he is interested in playing now....

Edler had half the net to shoot at and couldn't get it through...Gagner had half the net to shoot at and did the same.

I am hoping that Eriksson or Vanek or Gagner go on a roll for a few weeks and make themselves tradable by the deadline.

Edler is fine for a shutdown 5-6 D. man...he has gotten better at resisting the urge to pinch at the offensive blueline (which he is very bad at and should never attempt again)

Edler is good on the PK and in his own zone.

Jetison as many of those guys and Burmistrov at the deadline ...cal up Rodin and Goldy and give Gaudette some games at the end of the season.

Next year bring on Elias and Dahlen and maybe MacEwen.

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Dahlen / Pettersson / Goldy

Granlund / Sutter / Rodin

Gaunce / Gaudette/ Virtanen

MacEwen or Dorsett

Actually I think we trade Goldy as well and then Jake or Adam can take his spot on the 2nd line and MacEwen can play 4th line center.

That is what we need to do...I doubt management has the balls to do it though...

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Are you joking?  The Sedins stopped trying and started dialing-it-in at the beginning of last season.

Archived