The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Gudbranson to FLA for 1st Round Pick

Rush17

Trade  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who here would entertain the idea of trading Erik Gudbranson back to FLA for their 1st round pick (with top 5 trade protection for FLA).  Florida is currently dead last in their division and are struggling horribly on defense.  We obviously lost some value on McCann and 2nd for Gudbranson.  But if FLA is to finish in the 5-10 range which is conceivable with their slow start.  Would the value of McCann and a 2nd in Gudbranson be worth moving for that price tag?  It would free of us possibly losing him in free agency and it would reunite Gudbranson to his former team.

Share your thoughts?  If the pick was a top 5 pick and differed to 2019 what type of condition should be added?  An extra 3rd in 2019 for the time delay?  Tell me what you think!

Hell no to trading Gudbranson. Gudbranson's physicality and presence on the blueline is really needed. We have no one on this team that can 1. protect players, 2. physical. 3. instill fear to the opposing teams. 

Gudbranson when paired with a capable defender is a really good defender. I really hope we re-sign him.

Gudbranson brings an element that we lack. But if he's looking for big money, he needs to be moved. I can live with anything under 4 million cap hit.

I don't think that's a price FLA would pay. Best case scenario a sign and trade happens and we get more value than a rental

26 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Who here would entertain the idea of trading Erik Gudbranson back to FLA for their 1st round pick (with top 5 trade protection for FLA).  Florida is currently dead last in their division and are struggling horribly on defense.  We obviously lost some value on McCann and 2nd for Gudbranson.  But if FLA is to finish in the 5-10 range which is conceivable with their slow start.  Would the value of McCann and a 2nd in Gudbranson be worth moving for that price tag?  It would free of us possibly losing him in free agency and it would reunite Gudbranson to his former team.

Share your thoughts?  If the pick was a top 5 pick and differed to 2019 what type of condition should be added?  An extra 3rd in 2019 for the time delay?  Tell me what you think!

How is that "obvious"? McCann isn't better than anything we already have, nor is Asplund. We have lots of players in the system that can do what these guys can. We have no one that can do what Guddy does. 

Now having said that an unprotected 1st would be a nice return for either Guddy or McCann+Asplund given how deep the D talent is this year. But FLA knows that so they probably keep the pick. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

How is that "obvious"? McCann isn't better than anything we already have, nor is Asplund. We have lots of players in the system that can do what these guys can. We have no one that can do what Guddy does. 

Now having said that an unprotected 1st would be a nice return for either Guddy or McCann+Asplund given how deep the D talent is this year. But FLA knows that so they probably keep the pick. 

Lost value as in "lost mccann a late 1st and a good 2nd"

florida would not do that trade

a 3rd overall pick was used to select him originally

he is a 4 - 6 dman with a limited game

he is a useful hard big body

but he will be a free agent this summer

and gud already know florida wants him back

i think florida would be prepared to over pay a bit of cash to get him back as a free agent

but doubt they'd throw much asset value at a deal to reacquire him sooner

particularly since they are in the basement out east

with slim playoff prospect

cdc seems infatuated with florida's apparent interest in gud

that does mean they will pay much for him though since he'll be free in 8 months

edit:  remember vancouver paid mccann.. an uncertain prospect, with character and on ice inconsistency issues, and a 2nd, to get gud with 2 years control over him to resign or assess him . that has value.. . trading him now is with no control.. he is free very soon.. that diminishes whatever asset value you can get in return - he is simply a rental now

Would think Florida would want to send salary back in a deal? They usually are a budget team

Would we have any interesting in trying to get Bjugstad? Would have to be a sign and trade maybe we would have to add also?

They are same age, bjugstad has a few yrs @4.1m left on his deal.

33 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Lost value as in "lost mccann a late 1st and a good 2nd"

But we already "lost" the McCann value in how he's turned out, average, maybe. If we had hung onto him he may be in Utica right now. And the 2nd was in a poor draft year? Don't see Asplund as the game changer either.  I dunno, seems like a good deal to me but I also think most nights Guddy has contributed. 

If Jim figured McCann would never reach higher than a 7-9 F (which looks to be pretty accurate today) then it was well worth the risk to try for a guy like Guddy. He's the kind of player tho that needs a good  complimentary partner. When he was with Campbell in FLA e.g., he did his best work. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But we already "lost" the McCann value in how he's turned out, average, maybe. If we had hung onto him he may be in Utica right now. And the 2nd was in a poor draft year? Don't see Asplund as the game changer either.  I dunno, seems like a good deal to me but I also think most nights Guddy has contributed. 

If Jim figured McCann would never reach higher than a 7-9 F (which looks to be pretty accurate today) then it was well worth the risk to try for a guy like Guddy. He's the kind of player tho that needs a good  complimentary partner. When he was with Campbell in FLA e.g., he did his best work. 

I can respect that.  Would you take a 1st for him though?

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Benning didn't want to give up McCann but he had to since he wasn't going to part with a 1st.  At the time he felt that the deal was fine since McCann would be much easier to replace than the asset they were getting back; Gudbranson.

Looking back, all that I said above is true.  The thing is, Gudbranson doesn't look like the solid 2nd pair D that Benning was sure he was getting.  He's still a useful 6 and is very hard to replace even at that.  I'd take him any day over Pedan for example.

I still think that Benning is watching until Christmas and will decide what to do after that.  I'm sure that GM's around the league are well aware of the situation and are watching too.  They are hoping for the price to be less than market value because who ever has Gudbranson is going to have to sign him.  Guddy would be no more than a rental at the TDL.

Myself, I wouldn't want to pay him any more than he's getting right now.  My guess is that he ends up on the market at the trade deadline.  Just don't expect a home run return.  

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning didn't want to give up McCann but he had to since he wasn't going to part with a 1st.  At the time he felt that the deal was fine since McCann would be much easier to replace than the asset they were getting back; Gudbranson.

Looking back, all that I said above is true.  The thing is, Gudbranson doesn't look like the solid 2nd pair D that Benning was sure he was getting.  He's still a useful 6 and is very hard to replace even at that.  I'd take him any day over Pedan for example.

I still think that Benning is watching until Christmas and will decide what to do after that.  I'm sure that GM's around the league are well aware of the situation and are watching too.  They are hoping for the price to be less than market value because who ever has Gudbranson is going to have to sign him.  Guddy would be no more than a rental at the TDL.

Myself, I wouldn't want to pay him any more than he's getting right now.  My guess is that he ends up on the market at the trade deadline.  Just don't expect a home run return.  

I agree that Guddy is gonzo.  It’s too bad though, because we really (like you say) need him as a 5/6.  It’s just the amount of money he wants (and will likely get as a UFA) is too much for that role.  Hopefully, JB is working to trade Guddy now, and not get hamstrung by leaving things too late.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jb stated he felt McCann was going to be a top 6 player. He said that’s why it was hard to trade him. If we hung on to him he’d be on our roster right now and we likely wouldn’t have signed burmy or gagner. He put up 5 points in 8 games this year before getting injured. 

Also that second we gave up. jb stated that dahlen was the guy they were interested in and that’s why he targeted him in the burrows trade. 

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

There's no way Florida parts with their pick. Perhaps for a high end prospect like Borgstrom and whatever is remaining of Petrovic's contract.

i Shall look into this Borgstrom character. that is an idea.  id love a blockbuster but a high end prospect could be fun too.  Is he a righty?

Some people on here really over value Gudbranson. He's a rental at this point and likely worth a late second at that

Puck possession and speed have become mighty important from the back end and Gudbranson is a black hole in both departments. He's a decent 5th or 6th defensemen that will be overpaid on his next contract

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Interesting story by Kuzma on this topic just today: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-canucks-see-value-in-erik-gudbranson-others-see-trade-bait

It sounds like Gudbranson does want to find a home here. Kuzma mentions Karl Alzner as a comparable at 4.65 mil, and thats probably the high end of the comparable list. Low end what he's making now. I'd be fine with anything between those two numbers, as I do think leadership and toughness matter a lot in the playoffs. 

I'm not trying to trash McCann, just point out that in terms of trade value its was actually a decent move to replace his skill set with Guddy's. McCann probably wouldn't be the offensive disappointment Gaunce is (although I like the transformation to him as a checking line guy but still, he's a 1st rounder). We have amassed a lot of guys that could turn into NHL scorers like Dahlen, Golddy, Lind, Pettersson so is McCann an upgrade on any of these? Probably not. But there really isn't anyone in our system like Guddy. 

He's also just 25, he seems a lot older and he has room to improve. Look at Sbisa - he went from a guy expected to provide offence to well, what he his now a #5 that can sometimes be a #4 and plays a much more responsible game over the last 2 years. I can certainly see Guddy being a #5, occasional 4 as well. 

Archived