The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Markstrom + Hutton = ?

I wonder what this combo would land us.  Now that Markstrom has started 9 games in a row and posted good numbers.  Every commentator seems to rave about him.  He probably has some value to Arizona, Winnipeg, Colorado, Calgary, etc...

Hutton is still young top 4, skates really well.  A scout looking at him for a couple of games is always going to come away with solid reviews. 

Why trade them?  Markstrom is very clearly mentally fragile with this first shot first goal thing that's been going on his whole career.  Definitely not a playoff player.  Nilsson is a great stop gap to Demko in any case.

Hutton is inadequate defensively.  He can't shot the puck with any kind of power.  His playing style (smooth skating, wrist shot first defenseman with size) reminds of Bieksa without the amazing personality and physical play.  If the defender isn't physical like Gudbranson or Edler we need them to be able to shoot the puck.  Our powerplay is a abysmal and with the pressure fore checking game it would be a game changer to have a cannon at the point.

I am also happy to throw in Goldobin, a 2nd round pick, Gaunce or one of the vetran players Gagner, Vanek, Eriksson. 

I wonder what we could get for that?

Maybe Sam Bennett for Markstrom and Gaunce?

Maybe Ekman-Larsson for Markstrom, Hutton, Goldobin and 2nd round pick (probably not enough)

Maybe Jacob Touba for Markstrom and Hutton

Maybe Landeskog for Markstrom and Hutton and Goldobin, (steep but Sakic really isn't open for business for less)

Sorry,  disagree on both. 

Markstrom proved in Utica he could carry a team on his back in both the regular and post season.   He's now working with a coach known for his mental toughness. He hasn't reached his prime yet.   JB/Green need to see what he's fully capable of imo and that's what it looks like they're doing - correctly so in my view. 

Hutton is still developing into a prototypical mobile defenceman perfectly suited for today's NHL.  At 24yo he's nowhere near his prime and could be a consistent ~ 40pt guy in the right system with the right coaching/deployment. 

Keep both.   If they develop as hoped reassess as per organizational needs/market value at that time - but now's not that time. 

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Why trade them?  Markstrom is very clearly mentally fragile with this first shot first goal thing that's been going on his whole career.  Definitely not a playoff player.  Nilsson is a great stop gap to Demko in any case.

Doesn't Marky bouncing back with a solid performance after an early goal actually prove he's NOT mentally fragile?

Ben Hutton is the scapegoat and under rated 

avg TOI 22min +4 compare to mdz 24TOI and -7 

markstrom is good enough to carry this club for a couple more poor seasons trade the Vets keep the picks and prospects 

and younger players. Don’t rush demko. 

They say Trade from a position of strength so currently we have none just low value vets and third/4th liners or fringe nhlers.

once again goal scoring is the problem 28th comparied goals allowed 8th 

Goldie should be called up and given a chance to score in the nhl 

virtanen should be on the ice not vanek gagner eriksson 

clear some aged dead weight so the youth and actual future can have roster space. 

11 minutes ago, combover said:

Ben Hutton is the scapegoat and under rated 

avg TOI 22min +4 compare to mdz 24TOI and -7 

markstrom is good enough to carry this club for a couple more poor seasons trade the Vets keep the picks and prospects 

and younger players. Don’t rush demko. 

They say Trade from a position of strength so currently we have none just low value vets and third/4th liners or fringe nhlers.

once again goal scoring is the problem 28th comparied goals allowed 8th 

Goldie should be called up and given a chance to score in the nhl 

virtanen should be on the ice not vanek gagner eriksson 

clear some aged dead weight so the youth and actual future can have roster space. 

If you are going to sit 8+ million with term in Gagner and Eriksson..why did you sign them in the first place.

We clearly have an abundance of veterans that are creating a log jam, so I would much rather see some of that cleaned up first..........

I understand your thoughts regarding moving Markstrom, and I wouldn't mind moving a goalie when the time is right, probably not just now, and I think it will Nilsson

But as per the veteran forwards........I think?, that Benning is hoping to build some value in them before moving them, and now he is caught between a rock and a hard place, because the only one that is scoring is Vanek, who is playing pretty good.....I am pretty disappointed in Gagner so far

I think Edler may be on his way out, and Del Zotto is probably the catalyst behind it......Hutton does his job (pretty big minutes don't you think?), but if Pouliot keeps on improving, Benning will have to makes some decisions, later rather than sooner (closer to the TDL)....something has to give...has to

But on the other hand...............if Nilsson can hold down the fort..............................Pittsburgh needs a back up, so does Toronto...............value a later 2nd and a 3rd

Edler a later 1st and a 3rd or 2 - 2nds and a 3rd

Nilsson and Edler are both replaceable ............................sorry! to say other..........but, Markstrom and Hutton are not right now

Markstrom is not an elite goalie. This fan base has been spoiled with some of the best goalies to ever lace em up for the past decade.

Markstrom has played very well. He lets in his bad goals but he always comes back afterward with inspirational saves. I think we can win with Marky Pitty won all those cups w Fleury after all.

I simply cannot see a benifit to trading him until Demko forces JB's hand.

Goalies dont garner much of a return nowadays, much less below average goalies which statistically Markstrom is. I mean the guy is up to 109 career starts now and has not 1 single clean sheet, which in today's NHL is remarkably dubious.

Hutton at the moment probably carries negative value but I think he could still improve, but for now a package of the two in a trade would probably net us next to nothing.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

So OP takes the time to point out these guys' weaknesses and outline why they're so 'meh' yet JB is supposed to miraculously turn both of these guys into blue-chip core pieces?

Yup,  CDC alright! 

Value is all about perception.  There is a lot of people on here that seem to think trading both wouldn't be in the best interest of the team.  So I am not sure what you mean?  It is very very rare for two obviously good to everyone players to get traded for each other.  I don't value them all that much, and they have perceived value; so I would rather trade them to someone that sees them as more valuable.  No miracles here just common sense...

Archived