The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ray Breaks Down the PP (its makes you want to poke your eyes out)

Rush17

pp change  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/ferraro-canuck-pp-makes-you-want-to-poke-your-eyes-out-1.914520

listened to this in the shower this morning.  Ray Ferraro talks how he would change the PP and it includes splitting the Sedins.  

maybe we should hire ray to be our pp coach lol.   what he suggests is actually really interesting.  please give it a listen and share your thoughts if u think it would work!

That was something we should have been trying from the start of the season or at least moved to it quickly once we saw they weren’t working well together anymore.

There is a risk of making more lines worse, but there is also an upside of maybe leveraging their playmaking skills on two lines.

Since Daniel stopped shooting, there is no finish to their line. 

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

That was something we should have been trying from the start of the season or at least moved to it quickly once we saw they weren’t working well together anymore.

There is a risk of making more lines worse, but there is also an upside of maybe leveraging their playmaking skills on two lines.

risk? you mean they might not score on the power play

that would be a devastating change :wub:

the sarcasm is not directed at you .. but at the long standing power play problems and ineptitude

edit: and it is hard to imagine one risk is that they could give up even more short handed goals ????

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wouldn't bother me to see them split up. @Art Vandelay has a point. Furthermore, it's not like we can get much worse from making changes so... 

The only thing I'm not sure about is putting Daniel in front of the net as he's no Dino Ciccerelli, but there's not much to lose.

The Sedins can never be effective without a good shooter on the point. There's no reason for teams to even bother keeping tabs on our defencemen on the powerplay so the Sedins just get cornered easily. Really the reason why we need to pushing hard to land John Carlson this offseason. 

41 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/ferraro-canuck-pp-makes-you-want-to-poke-your-eyes-out-1.914520

listened to this in the shower this morning.  Ray Ferraro talks how he would change the PP and it includes splitting the Sedins.  

maybe we should hire ray to be our pp coach lol.   what he suggests is actually really interesting.  please give it a listen and share your thoughts if u think it would work!

Makes me want to goague my ears out, hate it when sites autoplay 

Just listened to Todd Bertuzzi's sportsnet 650 piece.  He articulated the same sentiment of splitting the Sedins or removing them entirely off the PP.   He said they were 1000 point players but now they are not.  

here is the link someone shared in game day chat with bert.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/bertuzzi-talks-negative-media-latest-hall-famers-canucks-weak-power-play/

For reference on my comment about our D not being able to score, miss the days of Sami Salo and Christian Ehrhoff:

2017-18 0 goals from defence on the powerplay, 10 total, 28th in PP% in the league
2016-17 5 goals from defence on the powerplay, 32 total, 29th in PP% in the league
2015-16 6 goals from defence on the powerplay, 39 total, 27th in PP% in the league  
2014-15 11 goals from defence on the powerplay, 46 total, 9th in PP% in the league
2013-14 12 goals from defence on the powerplay 39 total, 26th in PP% in the league
2012-13 10 goals from defence on the powerplay, 26 total, 22nd in PP% in the league
2011-12 16 goals from defence on the powerplay, 57 total, 4th in PP% in the league
2010-11 15 goals from defence on the powerplay, 72 total, 1st in PP% in the league
2009-10 16 goals from defence on the powerplay, 68 total, 4th in PP% in the league
2008-09 18 goals from defence on the powerplay, 67 total, 17th in PP% in the league
2007-08 17 goals from defence on the powerplay, 63 total,  18th in PP% in the league

My take on our power play woes are quite similar to Ray's.

1. We need to gain possession from the face-off in the other team's end more often than we currently do. My guess is we do not win more than 30 - 40% of the draws to start our PP's and, even when we do win the face-off, we don't gain puck possession and the puck is quickly sent down the ice into our zone.

2. The reason we have to be better in the dot is because our zone entry is just atrocious. Teams simply line up at the blue line and we can't carry the puck into the zone. We need to find a way to have more speed through the neutral zone to gain entry or perhaps start shooting the puck in with better puck retrieval.

3. When, and IF, we finally do get set up in the offensive zone we still have glaring issues. We do not move the puck nearly quick enough and lose too many of the board battles for the puck. The distributor on the side boards, particularly Henrik; pose no threat to the other teams whatsoever as they literally stay glued to within 5 feet of the boards and make no attempt to take the puck towards the net and actually be a threat to shoot the puck.

4. We do not have a d-man that can QB the PP or be a real threat with his shot. Pouliot is probably the closest we have to fitting the role but he still has a ways to go. Without this key element our PP just can't be very successful.

It is quite easy to critique/criticize their PP but it is going to be a lot more difficult to come up with a solution. Given their current roster, I am not certain there is a solution that will significantly improve our PP.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think they should just keep doing what they have been doing for the last 4-5 years. I see a lot of potential in that. 

They have shown in the past that they can get it done. It's just a matter of time...

1zdw22.jpg

3 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Nobody likes a quitter but I'll defer to Vaas again:

5f474fa6cda4bf03d582b2fbddda9ea4--defini

You can't really apply the definition of insanity to the PP, since the variable it doesn't account for are the circumstances that each PP finds itself up against. Bad games by key guys, different opponents, different systems etc. EVENTUALLY if you keep doing the same thing then an opportunity will arise where what you're doing will work. It's just, well that's not really a recipe for success in the NHL.

The bottom line is this: The Canucks at this stage just simply do not have enough guys capable of executing at a high enough level to allow the systems to work. It legit may not be the system, just the personnel is incapable of executing effectively.

Now, I happen to personally believe that its a mixture of both. Why they do not make Boeser on PP1 and Vanek on PP2 the focal point shooters for one timers off the left hand half boards is beyond me.

2 hours ago, TheHitman said:

For reference on my comment about our D not being able to score, miss the days of Sami Salo and Christian Ehrhoff:

2017-18 0 goals from defence on the powerplay, 10 total, 28th in PP% in the league
2016-17 5 goals from defence on the powerplay, 32 total, 29th in PP% in the league
2015-16 6 goals from defence on the powerplay, 39 total, 27th in PP% in the league  
2014-15 11 goals from defence on the powerplay, 46 total, 9th in PP% in the league
2013-14 12 goals from defence on the powerplay 39 total, 26th in PP% in the league
2012-13 10 goals from defence on the powerplay, 26 total, 22nd in PP% in the league
2011-12 16 goals from defence on the powerplay, 57 total, 4th in PP% in the league
2010-11 15 goals from defence on the powerplay, 72 total, 1st in PP% in the league
2009-10 16 goals from defence on the powerplay, 68 total, 4th in PP% in the league
2008-09 18 goals from defence on the powerplay, 67 total, 17th in PP% in the league
2007-08 17 goals from defence on the powerplay, 63 total,  18th in PP% in the league

I think this pretty much sums it up with no point threat on the PP why even bother covering them tight, take time and space from the forwards and watch the D fumble the puck. My 2 ideas are running a 4 or 5 forward PP on both PP1 and PP2 obviously our Dmen can't shoot or get shots through to the net.The other is to give an unconventional player some PP time, look at Mark Letestu on Edmonton last year he played 4th line but was on the PP and scored 11 goals. 

Archived