The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Yute-Blockbuster..would U?

Hard pass for me. 

Demko has the makings of an elite goalie and that alone is enough for me to say no. 

Gaudette is fairly unproven but he possesses a lot of skills that are invaluable to having a successful NHL career. If he can translate that same skill set the Canucks are going to have one helluva player to help bolster the roster.

Ideally, when coming up with a trade idea it works best to focus on what we need and what we have to trade away without a huge detriment to our team, if possible.

Barzal looks to be really, really good. This season in particular he's playing a *very* high level of hockey and one could say he could slot in as our #1 center pretty much immediately.  But is that what we need? We may already have a 1st line center in Pettersson.and while he won't be ready for that position for a 2-3 years, the rest of our team won't be ready to contend until then as well so it's all good.

So we don't really need another center, until such time as it turns out Pettersson isn't going to be as good as we all believe.  But at this point, 3 top six centers is not at all what we need.  We need perhaps an elite scoring left winger, and absolutely an elite defenseman.

But to top it off, you want to give up a goalie we've been grooming to be our #1?  Then who's going to man the net... Markstrom?  Sorry - while he looks better this season I don't believe he's the goalie we need if we are vying for the cup.

So no to the proposal.  Not necessarily due to unbalanced value (which it may be), but just because it doesn't meet our needs. And I'm going to guess it probably doesn't meet theirs either.

I'd take the deal. There's a good chance one of the Flames or Islanders miss the playoffs. Demko has looked great but Barzal is a 20 year old center and is near a point per game. Having Barzal gives insurance in case Petersson doesn't work out. If he does work out, it gives the Canucks incredible center depth and allows them to move one to the wing until injuries occur.

Gaudette has looked good but at this point is still a big question mark. He could be a Kesler level 2nd line center or he could struggle in the nhl and be stuck as a 4th line center. Demko has looked great but once upon a time Markstrom looked like he would be a top nhl goalie. Goldobin may end up a second line wing but the odds of him busting at this point are still fairly high.

If all the Canuck players all reach their potentials then we'll lose this trade. The odds of that happening is quite low.

A 20 year old 2nd line center center with top line potential and an unprotected first round pick is worth it imo.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Starting to wonder Jimmy, if we might already have an elite tandem?

well.. could be. If we're going to move Demko though we'd have to see Marky/Nilsson take on a decent playoff run (2nd round maybe) before making a move on Demko, and in the meantime if Demko continues to tear up the AHL he just gets more valuable. It just doesn't feel like the right time to move him to me. 

2 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

I'd take the deal. There's a good chance one of the Flames or Islanders miss the playoffs. Demko has looked great but Barzal is a 20 year old center and is near a point per game. Having Barzal gives insurance in case Petersson doesn't work out. If he does work out, it gives the Canucks incredible center depth and allows them to move one to the wing until injuries occur.

Gaudette has looked good but at this point is still a big question mark. He could be a Kesler level 2nd line center or he could struggle in the nhl and be stuck as a 4th line center. Demko has looked great but once upon a time Markstrom looked like he would be a top nhl goalie. Goldobin may end up a second line wing but the odds of him busting at this point are still fairly high.

If all the Canuck players all reach their potentials then we'll lose this trade. The odds of that happening is quite low.

A 20 year old 2nd line center center with top line potential and an unprotected first round pick is worth it imo.

Whoa! Up steps the contrarian..even Monty Hall is taken aback! Interesting answer/reasoning..thanks

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well.. could be. If we're going to move Demko though we'd have to see Marky/Nilsson take on a decent playoff run (2nd round maybe) before making a move on Demko, and in the meantime if Demko continues to tear up the AHL he just gets more valuable. It just doesn't feel like the right time to move him to me. 

Interestingly, the Isles could apply the same uncertainty to Barzal vs Gaudette.

The longer the deal is delayed, the closer you'd be to knowing the value of all the 2018 potential 1st rounders. I'd say a decent lawyer could argue pros & cons of this one for a bit...

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Interestingly, the Isles could apply the same uncertainty to Barzal vs Gaudette.

The longer the deal is delayed, the closer you'd be to knowing the value of all the 2018 potential 1st rounders. I'd say a decent lawyer could argue pros & cons of this one for a bit...

well since you put it that way, ok. Whats missing from the deal is the biggest piece we really need - a true puck moving PP QB D. Sami Salo type shot. If thats what Barzal was I'd probably really consider this. but Demko and Gaudette could quite easily be as valuable to the team as Barzal, and we also have Pettersson on the way. 

So I suppose a lawyer might say come back to the table when you have that D in play :P

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well since you put it that way, ok. Whats missing from the deal is the biggest piece we really need - a true puck moving PP QB D. Sami Salo type shot. If thats what Barzal was I'd probably really consider this. but Demko and Gaudette could quite easily be as valuable to the team as Barzal, and we also have Pettersson on the way. 

So I suppose a lawyer might say come back to the table when you have that D in play :P

Yet top young D-men are almost never put in the shop window. Nashville had an embarrassing surplus, when swapping Jones for RyJo. Bergevin likely has incriminating photos of him(w/ livestock?) floating around to explain his squandered D-men.

I think we've gotta' grow our own, in that dept. JB's been patching that up a bit(on the sly, as it were)

But yeah, that's where having TWO 2018 1st's would come in. Supposedly quite the yr to draft D.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

But yeah, that's where having TWO 2018 1st's would come in. Supposedly quite the yr to draft D.

agreed on this - I do think we might be able to get that with fewer pieces tho, either one of Tanev or Guddy should bring that. I'd prefer to lose one of them than both Demko and Gaudette. Plus if we moved Demko and he ended up being a beast somewhere else winning cups I don't think I could handle it. May have to switch to rugby or sumo. 

I honestly think if you offered this proposal to Islanders fans they'd laugh. Not because it isn't a fair trade but because Gaudette and Demko don't have massive attention throughout the league and they'd see it as heavily lopsided against them. 

Remember how valued Horvat was during his second season and third season? There was no way we would trade him for question marks. We would have wanted a sure fire top young defensemen coming back. A goalie or a winger wouldn't have cut it, never mind a prospect.

Islanders have to be looking at Barzal right now thinking the same thing. The Islanders are throwing an unprotected first on top of this.

As good as Demko and Gaudette are, they are still question marks 

Not sure the ripping on this is really needed.  Not a bad trade IMO, Barzal is projecting as a future star first line center and could make resigning Tavares less important if the price is too high, Demko's hasn't played a game yet in the NHL.  Yes he's predicted to be a first string goalie, no we don't really know how good he will be yet or if he will be elite.  NYI would look hard at doing this given their continued inconsistencies in net, Vancouver still lacks a front runner current first liner.  This trade does have some merit.

This is a good trade proposal, although Canuck fans would see it as risky.

Barzal will likely be a 1C in the near future and acquiring another (mid level or better) 1st rounder in the upcoming draft would be a fantastic deal for the Canucks.  If NYI don't think they can re-sign Tavares, this trade is dead in the water.

Historically, the Canucks have had success in developing very good goalies, but always seem to struggle with scoring in the important games.  Imagine   Pettersson  -  Barzal  -  Boeser

Baer/Dahlen - Horvat  - Goldy/Lind

That's a lot of scoring in the top 6.

Replacing Demko would be tough, but not impossible.  Trade, college ufa, or maybe a Dubnyk comes along.

Gaudette for a 1st round pick is a pretty good deal.

Canucks win this trade.

Archived