The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks talking to Montreal? - *warning - Eklund*

Podz92

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, confirmed we're not in on Galchenyuk. Got it.

You know, Eklund is actually a really good source. His "rumors" are basically confirmation that something definitely isn't happening.

every clock hits 12 twice a day! 

he could be on to something!

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

MTL's holes are too big to talk about moving Galchenyuk. I mean I could see us moving an excess D, but can MTL afford to lose a scorer? Can we afford to pick another up, given we have so many forwards. 

I think the only trades that make sense for the Canucks right now are those in which we package depth for a single player. Is there a trade to be had for that?

defense leads to good offense? maybe lol just maybe berg could get away with saying that!

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Well, Galchenyuk makes sense considering that we're pretty short on young, high end left wingers. After Bear Cheese we're either talking about guys playing on their off wing or prospects like Gadjovich, so inquiring does actually make a lot of sense to me, especially considering that the likelihood of Buffalo resigning Kane (making him unavailable to us) seems to be going up with each passing day.

dahlen likely will fit that role.  my question mark is on the right side behind boeser.  is goldie gonna rock the rw or should we acquire another guy? is lind a righty or a lefty?

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Eklund rumours can't be counted on, but it is an interesting idea.

Hutton and Goldobin for Galchenyuk?

Galchenyuk - Horvat - Boeser

looks good

i would hate to lose goldie with hutton for him. if hansen signed back in van though i might be on board.

2 hours ago, Brobidus said:

I like Goldobin, don't want to get rid of a nice prospect.
How about Hutton, Baertschi and say a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

But yeah, this would make no sense for Montreal. I think the question is whether there is a trade out there that would make sense for the Canadiens? All they have are good players not worth moving and depth players not worth much in a trade.

baer-cheeeseee are you mad?????

51 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

You may want to review what the Hab GM has done the last 3 years or so.If anything , there is always a possibility it the GM has the Will to make a deal.

For me I see Granlund as a deal maker as he is more versatile player.

Galchenyuk playing style would be a complement in western conference play , he needs a change of address now it would seem he is the target .

no more than a third pick going to Montreal an throw in the undersized French D stuck on our farm .

granlund + hutton i would entertain if we got a late pick back.

Oh Eklund LOL

However, I do think theres some merit in thinking that Vancouver could be a buyer.

You just have to look at the system and current roster, and start seeing that there are a few assets that maybe arent a fit for the teams future.

My top 5 movable pieces:

Erik Gudbranson - Obviously a UFA at seasons end.  Low event hockey player.  Doesnt really fit the new NHL, as far as being a mobile puck mover.  He has value as a bruiser, which generally shows far more important during the playoffs, but for what he may cost to keep he's clearly a top candidate to be moved.

Ben Hutton - All of a sudden, he's finding himself bumped down the left side depth chart behind Edler, MDZ, and Pouliot.(even though Pouliot is currently filling in on the right which will change once Stecher and Tanman return).  Having defensive depth is never a bad thing, but with Juolevi on route it would seem like Hutton would be a piece that could be moved for some return value, as he does skate very well and is still a younger developing Dman, he should have some league interest.

Jake Virtanen - Im not sure where or how he fits onto this roster long term.  Hes got some good tools and has shown some good signs, Im just not sure that the coaches or management are believers and could cut bait should the right offer come along.  Good chance guys like Gaudette and Gadjovich can fill similar roles moving forward.

Nikolay Goldobin - Similar to above, but with Petersson and Dahlen expected to absorb offensive roster spots in the not so distant future, Im not sure that he has a spot on the group thats being formed.  This may be a reason we wont see him in a regular season game for a while.  Letting him continue to score and develop in the A and he should continue to garner some interest.

Thomas Vanek - UFA at seasons end, but imo the Canucks have really liked what he brought this season and I honestly think they could look to extend him.  Hes one of the very few guys on the team that can score from out of nowhere, and he plays the right side behind Boeser and Eriksson, which also add to speculation that one of Virtanen or Goldobin could be moved.

I think theres definite potential for a package deal to upgrade the roster in some aspect here.   3 younger players with different levels of skill and potential, and a couple UFA Veterans...  If theres a team looking to add depth and youth, while unloading a plug and play player under the age of 25, I can see why the Canucks would have interest in consolidating "redundant" assets for an upgrade... 

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Exactly. We're short on LW, which is why I don't really get why people are saying targeting Galchenyuk "makes no sense".

No, not exactly. 

Baertschi is on pace for 59 points this season.  That betters every single one of Galchenyuk's seasons (and especially this one) and is also playing alongside Horvat - who is admittedly good, but is also not exactly an elite playmaker at this point in his career either.

So we already have one solid 2nd line left wing perhaps with an outside chance of being 1st line level.  But in addition to that, we have the following players with who can also play left wing on the roster right now:
Virtanen
Eriksson

Gaunce
Gagner
Granlund
Dorsett
D Sedin (for this season anyway)
Vanek (until the deadline anyway)

Many of those guys are 3rd or 4th liners - although I see potential in Virtanen to be a bit better or Eriksson to gain back his game.

...and our prospects who can play LW:
Pettersson
Dahlen
Goldobin

Gadjovich
Palmu

Out of these, I see two likely 1st liners (though I imagine we would play Pettersson at center), a likely 2nd liner or possibly first liner in Goldobin, and a couple of outside chance top-six guys in Gadjovich and Palmu.

So while I admit our obviously high end left wingers are few, we have an abundance of guys who can play 3rd or 4th line and potentially even the 2nd line as well.  If we were to go after anyone for the left wing, it would only to be for our first line and would only some sort of insurance in case both Dahlen doesn't pan out AND we do need Pettersson for that first line center position.  In short, we're actually in decent shape on the left going forward and we just don't need Galchenyuk.  If he was a 65-70 point guy, I would reconsider my position.  But he isn't.

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

especially considering that the likelihood of Buffalo resigning Kane (making him unavailable to us) seems to be going up with each passing day.

They aren't going to have the cap space and I get the feeling he's going UFA and won't be re-signing their for as cheap as they'd need him to be.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

He's playing on a line with Drouin now and looking much more dangerous.  There's no reports of him being a locker room issue. The issue Julien has had with him is his defensive play. I don't see a team that struggling to score goals taking a bath on one of their most skilled offensive players just to "get him out of the room". They arent desperate to move him. If they do it will be a legit hockey trade. 

legit hockey trades only seem to happen in the summer , mtl needs to do something now

quantity for quality is what i expect for a player that has turned into a project at this point

would be nice if the canucks are the ones to make that deal tho :-)

Just now, Kelly Green said:

legit hockey trades only seem to happen in the summer , mtl needs to do something now

quantity for quality is what i expect for a player that has turned into a project at this point

would be nice if the canucks are the ones to make that deal tho :-)

Montreal has been playing significantly better lately.  They got off to a terrible start but have looked better the last couple weeks.  I don't actually think they're going to make any sort of panic move. 

I actually think he's telling the truth about:

• the Canucks have talked to the Habs at some point in time and mentioned Galchenyuk
  • the Habs and a few other teams have talked to the Canucks at some point in time and mentioned Hutton
  • somebody in the Canucks organization has talked to the Habs organization in the past month and the talk was on something interesting

:P

Archived