The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN finally showing some respect with "Core 4" rating

Rollieo Del Fuego

2 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Not a big fan of Kane..

I especially don't want to rely on him to get first line minutes.  Sure he's a point a game player in his contract year now, but

1) I expect that to reduce over the season

2) His best season by a large margin he got 57 points.  On average, he gets about a point every .6 games.  That's firmly 2nd line level scoring.  Not to mention he hasn't had a single fully healthy season.

Not high on Kane.  Especially not considering the accompanying drama.

1 hour ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Yah leading goal scorer 5v5 in all NHL in past 2 years. Hits. tenacious, speed & will drop the mitts if needed. 

Not much to like there.  :huh: :rolleyes:

I value heart over skills. Sure Kane's got the hands and gifted physical aspect of his game.

But he obviously has had maturity issues in the past and as a fan, I think I have a right to express opinion :) 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Well I wouldn't give TSN too much credit - they basically threw in the Canucks as an afterthought and made certain readers knew their inclusion was based heavily on 'projection' just to slightly dilute their COMPLETE toronto bias. 

What would make you think TSN (aka Toronto Sports Network) would have any kind of Toronto bias?:P

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I especially don't want to rely on him to get first line minutes.  Sure he's a point a game player in his contract year now, but

1) I expect that to reduce over the season

2) His best season by a large margin he got 57 points.  On average, he gets about a point every .6 games.  That's firmly 2nd line level scoring.  Not to mention he hasn't had a single fully healthy season.

Not high on Kane.  Especially not considering the accompanying drama.

I am not a huge Kane fan either, but only because of his off ice issues. As far as his production goes, I don't follow you. I assume you mean 0.6 points per game for his career average, which projects to about 50 points per 82 game season.

This would put him about 85th in the NHL among forwards last season, but if you only count wingers, he would be about 40th in the NHL. That is unquestionably a first line scoring pace.

33 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I value heart over skills. Sure Kane's got the hands and gifted physical aspect of his game.

But he obviously has had maturity issues in the past and as a fan, I think I have a right to express opinion :) 

We're all here giving opinions. It's all cool.

I hear what you're saying but sometimes people make mistakes & learn from them & move forward & mature. I follow Kane somewhat & all signs indicate he's on the right path including his elite level hockey shift in & shift out which proves he's going in the right direction in my humble opinion. :)

10 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The Canucks could easily be as high as 4 on that list but TSN really pays very little attention to this team.

Considering 2/4 guys that they chose for us haven’t played a game in the NHL yet, I consider this a fair assessment. But once Demko is shutting the door and Pettersson is lighting it up at the NHL level, we can go as high as #1 (if they both play as well as we think they can).

38 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I am not a huge Kane fan either, but only because of his off ice issues. As far as his production goes, I don't follow you. I assume you mean 0.6 points per game for his career average, which projects to about 50 points per 82 game season.

This would put him about 85th in the NHL among forwards last season, but if you only count wingers, he would be about 40th in the NHL. That is unquestionably a first line scoring pace.

Maybe so, but you are assuming an 82 game season, which most players don't actually play and he certainly does not.  He's a decent player, but durability factors into it too and I imagine it is his playing style that has kept him from playing 82 games even once.  He seems to average 10-15 games off a season so that works out to perhaps 42 points at best - and that's simply *not* 1st line scoring.

Point being - we just don't need him.  We have such players now, and will have an abundance of them shortly.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Maybe so, but you are assuming an 82 game season, which most players don't actually play and he certainly does not.  He's a decent player, but durability factors into it too and I imagine it is his playing style that has kept him from playing 82 games even once.  He seems to average 10-15 games off a season so that works out to perhaps 42 points at best - and that's simply *not* 1st line scoring.

Point being - we just don't need him.  We have such players now, and will have an abundance of them shortly.

Of course we do! You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, but think about it this way..............

Where do you ever get a free top end guaranteed talent for free? One that knows and likes the West Coast, that can play 5 on 5 hockey and stand up for himself, and others.

I don't see the problem, if he signs for the right price...........

I think we would be ranked higher if they included the talent that will surround the core players. We have Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, and good depth players like Beartschi, Granlund and Virtanen to round out our foward group. I don't think scoring will be a problem in the future. ^_^

10 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I think we would be ranked higher if they included the talent that will surround the core players. We have Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, and good depth players like Beartschi, Granlund and Virtanen to round out our foward group. I don't think scoring will be a problem in the future. ^_^

I don't think TSN ever heard of any of these players. Well, maybe Dahlen because he was an Ottawa prospect, and maybe Jake because they like to belittle the Canucks first round picks.

33 minutes ago, kloubek said:

We have such players now, and will have an abundance of them shortly.

We don't actually have such players let alone an abundance. A guy with size/grit, speed, can shoot and score like that playing in the top 6? Closest we have is Virtanen and he's far more likely middle 6 than top 6. Gadjovich doesn't have the skating and is still likely years out (and is also far more likely bottom 9).

We have nobody with his skill set/ability on our roster or prospects. 

I'd sure love to have all three of those guys sprinkled throughout our lineup though B)

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That could be such a good group of four players, it's delicious. Now if only we had a stud defenseman in the works...

Seems like Juolevi is doing well in Finland so there is yet still hope for him.

Real glad Juloevi is working with Salo 

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

who's in their top 4?

Matthews, Marner, Nylander and whom?

we may pass them next season if pettersson is in the nhl bringing the pain .

Reilly

No way TSN would ever let Canucks pass the leafs as long as Matthews is under 24.  He is god in their eyes.

Just now, Winter Soldier said:

That's a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

Probably. I was disappointed with his pre-season and have begun to lose hope that he'll be the star we want. His good start to the season this year has rebuilt my hopes somewhat.

Archived