The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 5 tradable Assets (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

So your guess is as good as mine in determining who actually gets traded, but I invite you to put your list up and defend it, if need be........

The first thing you might notice is that I may have the order somewhat wrong.........but hopefully close, for the purpose of this discussion it will be close enough........

Those in BOLDED CAPITAL SHOULD BE CONSIDERED CORE pieces until proven otherwise, for the purposes of this discussion

Consider the Sedin's and Eriksson are not to be traded for this discussion

Canuck Depth Chart

LW      Baertschi   D. Sedin     Dorsett         Vanek        Gaunce         --------          DAHLEN       Goldoblin       Gadjovich     LaBate

C         HORVAT       H. Sedin     Sutter           Burnistrov                    --------         PETTERSSON      GAUDETTE      MacEwen

RW     BROESER      Eriksson     Granlund      Gagner                       --------         VIRTANEN    Rodin    Lind    Lockwood

LHD    Edler     MDZ      Hutton    Pouliot   Wiercioch                         --------          JUOLEVI     McEneny

RHD   TANEV    Stecher     Gudbranson     Biega                             --------          Chatfield

G        Markstrom      Nilsson                                                               --------           DEMKO     DiPietro

Have fun and don't take it  too seriously!

My Top 5 Tradable Assets

1. Vanek..................................I hope he continues to shine...........he was brought in to trade IMO.........I hope Benning keeps his nerve

2. Edler...................................We have at this time 7 NHL calibre LHD, all that can't score, and 2 that have carried Edler's minutes.........it is time!

3. Baertschi.............................So much talent behind him, and he has reached his ceiling, and we need more out of a #1 LW........here comes KANE

4. Gudbranson........................Don't want to loose him, but if the price is right, lets look at it at the TDL.........If Pouliot continues to improve......also think we are drafting a RHD

5. MDZ....................................He has shown well with heavy minutes......if Edler doesn't go......MDZ should....

1) Ben Hutton.  The ascension of Derrick Pouliot, and pending Olli Juolevi's development, Hutton is likely to be one guy to be used to upgrade either finding another top six forward or a legitimate top 4 dman

2) Thomas Vanek. Veteran scorer, and Vanek brings experience, and scoring prowess, but can that scoring continue after the regular season ends?

3) Erik Gudbranson. Team loves a RHD, who can skate well and provide physicality.  He is the Ron Hainsey type of guy that helps solidify a Dcore.

4) Sven Baertschi.  I still honestly don't think he is a legitimate top six scorer, good tweener, who honestly is best served at best as a 2nd line LW.  Maybe even better as a 3rd line LW.  

5) Alex Burmistrov.  Teams come the trade deadline love having a versatile player that can play up and down the lineup, and will probably cost less for teams looking for a relatively cheap option contractually. 

these are the 5 guys I legitimately believe might be dealt this season or by the summer. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

In three years those guys you left out of the next core (the non bolded names) will all be gone.  Considering that likelihood, hopefully JB gets assets (picks please) for them, instead of just letting them walk.

I agree Alf

After reading the top 4 Core under 25 post.....that is what struck me.....hence the post...what is your list?

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree Alf

After reading the top 4 Core under 25 post.....that is what struck me.....hence the post...what is your list?

My list is very similar to yours.  I just see a core as a smaller group than you do.  I have your guys, minus Dahlen and Virtanen.  

Just now, Alflives said:

My list is very similar to yours.  I just see a core as a smaller group than you do.  I have your guys, minus Dahlen and Virtanen.  

yup, I can understand that.....kind of wrestle with those 2 myself.......I just asked myself would I want either of those traded.

Can't say I do, so Core for now......we will see! I don't disagree.....I just was a little more liberal

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

yup, I can understand that.....kind of wrestle with those 2 myself.......I just asked myself would I want either of those traded.

Can't say I do, so Core for now......we will see! I don't disagree.....I just was a little more liberal

I don't want to see those two traded (now) either.  Hopefully, our next group is really good, so there will be guys fighting to stay here, and be part of a winner.  The best stay, and the others go for picks.  Kind of like what the Hawks did to keep their key pieces.  

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

So your guess is as good as mine in determining who actually gets traded, but I invite you to put your list up and defend it, if need be........

The first thing you might notice is that I may have the order somewhat wrong.........but hopefully close, for the purpose of this discussion it will be close enough........

Those in BOLDED CAPITAL SHOULD BE CONSIDERED CORE pieces until proven otherwise, for the purposes of this discussion

Consider the Sedin's and Eriksson are not to be traded for this discussion

Canuck Depth Chart

LW      Baertschi   D. Sedin     Dorsett         Vanek        Gaunce         --------          DAHLEN       Goldoblin       Gadjovich     LaBate

C         HORVAT       H. Sedin     Sutter           Burnistrov                    --------         PETTERSSON      GAUDETTE      MacEwen

RW     BROESER      Eriksson     Granlund      Gagner                       --------         VIRTANEN    Rodin    Lind    Lockwood

LHD    Edler     MDZ      Hutton    Pouliot   Wiercioch                         --------          JUOLEVI     McEneny

RHD   TANEV    Stecher     Gudbranson     Biega                             --------          Chatfield

G        Markstrom      Nilsson                                                               --------           DEMKO     DiPietro

Have fun and don't take it  too seriously!

My Top 5 Tradable Assets

1. Vanek..................................I hope he continues to shine...........he was brought in to trade IMO.........I hope Benning keeps his nerve

2. Edler...................................We have at this time 7 NHL calibre LHD, all that can't score, and 2 that have carried Edler's minutes.........it is time!

3. Baertschi.............................So much talent behind him, and he has reached his ceiling, and we need more out of a #1 LW........here comes KANE

4. Gudbranson........................Don't want to loose him, but if the price is right, lets look at it at the TDL.........If Pouliot continues to improve......also think we are drafting a RHD

5. MDZ....................................He has shown well with heavy minutes......if Edler doesn't go......MDZ should....

Why do you say this about Bear?   He is JUST starting to reach that potential that had him as one of the most highly touted junior offensive starts in entire CHL his draft plus one year....Calgary messed up his development and now is just starting to blossom and you want to write him off as "hit his ceiling?".   The guy can fly, scores in dirty areas, has a great shot, loves dogs, seems like a great teammate and continues to improve his offensive goals/points per game.....

Bear is highly underrated on this site.

27 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why do you say this about Bear?   He is JUST starting to reach that potential that had him as one of the most highly touted junior offensive starts in entire CHL his draft plus one year....Calgary messed up his development and now is just starting to blossom and you want to write him off as "hit his ceiling?".   The guy can fly, scores in dirty areas, has a great shot, loves dogs, seems like a great teammate and continues to improve his offensive goals/points per game.....

Bear is highly underrated on this site.

Zepp

I love Baer............

But I feel he is almost at his apex.......which is a 2nd line (b) winger.......that is not bad at all.......he is a little inconsistent

Again, with a but.......the but is.....we have a lot more LW talent and again "IF" Kane comes, we will be over loaded on LW, so I feel Benning may want to upgrade else where or take picks for him.......you are right though, I just see him as the one, that as a whole can be replaced within our organization and UFA(Kane) and will bring us the best return....

Maybe it is a Baer and Hutton combo.......I don't know, and I admit I could be wrong

But!......there I go with another but....................who do we move if all these prospects mature and come to the big club? Probably better players coming!

It is cool that he likes dogs!

1) Vanek. He was brought in on a one year to stabilize the wing until someone (likely Goldobin) gets one more year of experience. He is a TDL asset only. I've been thinking 3rd round all along, but if he keeps up his current pace (especially as a PP asset), he may get a 2nd or a 3rd + 5th or 6th

2) Burmistrov. Read the above statement, but substitute Virtanen or Gaunce for Goldobin. Change the draft pick to a 4th (at best)

3) Weircioch. Spare change, gets maybe a 5th or 6th (more likely). Currently not much beyond a waste of space.

Now it gets tricky, as the other guys brought in this year have greater than one year contracts, and with Nilsson, pretty good play. Hoping Gagner gets it figured out soon. So...

4) Edler. I think the way the club playing well in his absence should have shown management that Edler can now become a valuable trade asset, and that it may be time to inform him that his services are no longer required (wanted, sure, but not REQUIRED). I could easily see a team that needs quality depth in their 2nd or 3rd pairing, if that is pretty much their most important need, paying a 1st + for Edler. I would not shed a tear if Subban got tossed in to sweeten the deal.

5) One of: Hutton, Stetcher or Holm. I cannot decide which. I'm not completely sold on Mighty Mouse just yet, and Hutton has been rather inconsistent this year (and some of last, to be honest). Holm seems to be playing rather well in Utica, a little better than I expected, really. Each one has a ceiling that they haven't reached, and I have seen WAY too many players traded away, only to watch them get REALLY good somewhere else (Cam Neely or Rick Vaive, for example) so trading one of these guys could easily come back to bite us in the bum.

And as an honorable mention, I could see Granlund, for the right price. But it better be really good!

i hope stecher can become a core piece. You pretty much nailed the evaluation. 

Gudbranson is great and ive backed him since day one, but its clear we cant afford to have two rhd that put up no offense at all (i.e. Tanev and Guddy). Looking at D that are comparable to Guddy, its clear we cant pay more than 3.5 for what he brings. His toughness is great to have on the back end, but couldnt we get a D that provides more two way play, while having some edge to his game, for cheaper or comparable to what Guddy is going to command?

If we know the Sedins are not coming back. I would be very active at the deadline to not only sell off assets and gain picks, but shape some of my roster for next year. 

Things we need desperately: 

#1 dman ( powerplay quarterback) 

What if we get between picks 2-4?

Are we going to pass on Svechnikov, Zadina and Tkachuk for Boqvist,Hughes?

13 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

1) Vanek. He was brought in on a one year to stabilize the wing until someone (likely Goldobin) gets one more year of experience. He is a TDL asset only. I've been thinking 3rd round all along, but if he keeps up his current pace (especially as a PP asset), he may get a 2nd or a 3rd + 5th or 6th

2) Burmistrov. Read the above statement, but substitute Virtanen or Gaunce for Goldobin. Change the draft pick to a 4th (at best)

3) Weircioch. Spare change, gets maybe a 5th or 6th (more likely). Currently not much beyond a waste of space.

Now it gets tricky, as the other guys brought in this year have greater than one year contracts, and with Nilsson, pretty good play. Hoping Gagner gets it figured out soon. So...

4) Edler. I think the way the club playing well in his absence should have shown management that Edler can now become a valuable trade asset, and that it may be time to inform him that his services are no longer required (wanted, sure, but not REQUIRED). I could easily see a team that needs quality depth in their 2nd or 3rd pairing, if that is pretty much their most important need, paying a 1st + for Edler. I would not shed a tear if Subban got tossed in to sweeten the deal.

5) One of: Hutton, Stetcher or Holm. I cannot decide which. I'm not completely sold on Mighty Mouse just yet, and Hutton has been rather inconsistent this year (and some of last, to be honest). Holm seems to be playing rather well in Utica, a little better than I expected, really. Each one has a ceiling that they haven't reached, and I have seen WAY too many players traded away, only to watch them get REALLY good somewhere else (Cam Neely or Rick Vaive, for example) so trading one of these guys could easily come back to bite us in the bum.

And as an honorable mention, I could see Granlund, for the right price. But it better be really good!

Solid reasoning Father

I think Vanek is gone for sure and it is time for Edler to depart

Burm and Wier are just folly and won't bring back anything exciting,,,,,,,maybe together a 3rd, elsewise 5th's or 6ths

I am afraid to et rid of Hutton or Stecher, at least this year....too much potential and the ghost of Justin Schultz could end up visiting us letting go young assets

As for Granlund and Baertschi......I picked Baertschi because of the prospects behind him and the versatility that Granlund brings.......I think Baertschi is too inconsistent and at his ceiling, which is a second line player, who doesn't add too much to special teams..........I am just not too impressed with him......but he would be a great asset to trade.

More valuable than Hansen and Burrows...........say a late 1st or 2 nds.................Edler late 1st and a 2nd?

That should set us up for what I see is our last big sell off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the rest should be just rotational sell offs each year as prospects mature..................

Ah...this is just for fun.......we shall see....................but I do think Benning should do it no later than mid to late January 

Personally I would trade vanek, burmy and Hutton tomorrow

vanek has been great and I’m a fan of his for years but I’m sick of these vets taking quality ice time from virtanen, goldobin etc...

to mtl: vanek

to van: 3rd pick 2018, 6th pick 2018

To pit: burmistrov

to van: 5th pick 2018

Now trading Hutton is tricky cause what do we need? A right handed d prospect, centre prospect or a one for one trade. Hard to find a fit. 

Not sure if trading Hutton for picks would do us much good 

baertschi-horvat-boeser

sedin-sedin-eriksson

goldobin-gagner-virtanen

granlund-sutter-dorsett

gaunce

edler-stecher

del zotto-tanev

pouliot-gudbranson 

weircoich-biega

great thread @janisahockeynut !

hopefully jim can get enough picks back to trade up at the draft to get dahlin , probably need to move some players on you're core list to get there though.

one more season of selling at the deadline and we get to see what this team really looks like next year!

I would agree with many of you here about the best assets to trade.

I do obviously worry that it will be tough to convince Edler to waive unless we threaten to buy him out or something.

However, If (and its a big if) he waives I think he would do well to play with Karlsson in Ottawa.

Let Karlsson focus on the offence and let Edler be more of the defensive, physical defenseman. 

IMO the asking price is a 1st round pick in 2018. I know Ottawa didnt want to give it up in the Duchene trade but I do believe the benefits for Ottawa outweigh the cost.

I would then look at Tanev, I know everyone loves him and I do too but sometimes u have to give to get.

I look at Liljegren in Toronto and a later pick (4th) at the TDL. Toronto needs to shore up that right side and as many have pointed out on different threads, Reilly and Tanev have looked great together in past tourney's.

Last big one is Guddy, Florida obviously likes him, if we could pry a 2018 1st from them for Guddy 1for1 i would do it in a heartbeat.

Then Vanek for a pick (2nd sounds nice but it will probably be a 3rd)

and lastly Gagner, he has not fit in a way I and the organization has hoped (cause you know i am so connected.......) he could warrant a nice pick as well.

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Zepp

I love Baer............

But I feel he is almost at his apex.......which is a 2nd line (b) winger.......that is not bad at all.......he is a little inconsistent

Again, with a but.......the but is.....we have a lot more LW talent and again "IF" Kane comes, we will be over loaded on LW, so I feel Benning may want to upgrade else where or take picks for him.......you are right though, I just see him as the one, that as a whole can be replaced within our organization and UFA(Kane) and will bring us the best return....

Maybe it is a Baer and Hutton combo.......I don't know, and I admit I could be wrong

But!......there I go with another but....................who do we move if all these prospects mature and come to the big club? Probably better players coming!

It is cool that he likes dogs!

I think you’re over valueing our left side. Goldobin is playing in the right side in Utica I believe, and dorsett and Vanek have both been playing the right side all season In Van. 

Left wing depth is really more:

Baer, Daniel, Loui, Gaunce, Dahlen, Gadjovich. 

Sedins will retire soon, Gaunce and eriksson are middle 6 at best, and Gadjovich is years away from being a top 6 player, if he ever gets there. 

This means you’re trading a guy who is on pace for over 50 points at the quarter mark of the season on the hope that Dahlen will be able to replace him. That’s just bad management. 

5 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

I think you’re over valueing our left side. Goldobin is playing in the right side in Utica I believe, and dorsett and Vanek have both been playing the right side all season In Van. 

Left wing depth is really more:

Baer, Daniel, Loui, Gaunce, Dahlen, Gadjovich. 

Sedins will retire soon, Gaunce and eriksson are middle 6 at best, and Gadjovich is years away from being a top 6 player, if he ever gets there. 

This means you’re trading a guy who is on pace for over 50 points at the quarter mark of the season on the hope that Dahlen will be able to replace him. That’s just bad management. 

You got a point and it's worth thinking about. Seriously!

I do want to change our M O  up some more, and I really want to go after E. Kane.........leads the league in 5 on 5 goals the past 2 years, I like that!

Also, Petterrsson, might just end up at left wing, at least for the first few years

then Loui, Dahlen and Gadjovich

That doesn't look nearly as bleak as you stated...

But, I will admit, that my idea will take some commitment, and some luck in signing Kane

Either way, Rome was not built in a day, and I think Baertschi is at his apex......and good on him! He works hard!

At this point I'm very reluctant to move Baertschi. The idea of landing Kane in the offseason is by no means set in stone, and Dahlen and Gadjovic are far from sure things at this point.

Also, I think Baer is flying pretty far under the radar, and because of that I don't see us getting fair value for him. 

If he's able to stay somewhat consistent this season and net 50-60 points, I hold onto him. He and Horvat seem to have a chemistry that really can't be taught, and if the plan is to eventually move Boeser up to play with Pettersson, I think having a solid duo in Horvat/Baer makes that easier to do. I could certainly see Virtanen, Lind or Goldobin slotting into the RW position while Boeser ends up playing with Pettersson and Gaudette going forward.

I've been on the "trade Tanev" train for a while now, because it looked like we simply did not have enough elite young talent to truly compete in the next few years. However, the outstanding development (so far) of Pettersson, Boeser, and Demko - along with solid steps forward for Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Gaudette, etc. - and I have changed my mind. 

Canucks may be able to do real damage in 2-3 years, and Tanev can definitely be a part of that. Especially since we don't have a stud RHD prospect to step into top-4 minutes in that time. In fact, because of this, my guess is that Benning also extends Gudbranson, provided his contract demands aren't unreasonable.

So really, the only forward I expect to be traded this year is Vanek. Burmistrov may get dangled, but not sure he gets a return (no one offered anything last year for him either, which is why he was waived).

As for the D, perhaps Edler gets moved mid-season, if he waives. If he doesn't, perhaps Benning will consider offers for MDZ or Hutton. But I can see a situation where the Canucks are still technically in the playoff race, and likely have injuries to D-men, and decide to keep them all until the off-season. Maybe we end up packaging Hutton with our 1st to move up at the draft to get a specific D prospect.

Of course, all of this comes with a proviso: it all depends on the offer. If the offer is good enough, you trade almost anyone.

On 17/11/2017 at 12:05 PM, dayner said:

I would then look at Tanev, I know everyone loves him and I do too but sometimes u have to give to get.

I look at Liljegren in Toronto and a later pick (4th) at the TDL. Toronto needs to shore up that right side and as many have pointed out on different threads, Reilly and Tanev have looked great together in past tourney's.

Last big one is Guddy, Florida obviously likes him, if we could pry a 2018 1st from them for Guddy 1for1 i would do it in a heartbeat.

You'd trade Tanev AND Gudbranson?

Who the hell is going to play RHD next year???

Archived