The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 5 tradable Assets (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

You'd trade Tanev AND Gudbranson?

Who the hell is going to play RHD next year???

Other than Bo, Boeser, Stecher, and Pouliot, all our current roster players are tradable assets.  We’re not, of course, going to trade them all, or at the same time.  Hopefully, JB is able to trade some of them (eventually) for young prospects/picks.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Other than Bo, Boeser, Stecher, and Pouliot, all our current roster players are tradable assets.  We’re not, of course, going to trade them all, or at the same time.  Hopefully, JB is able to trade some of them (eventually) for young prospects/picks.

I'm on the fence about Baer. It looks like he could be emerging as that player people were excited about in junior, but I also worry about giving him a big contract without seeing a couple of 20+ goal seasons and, I wonder if he's capable of being effective without Bo. I think he needs 2 more seasons for UFA status so thats good for trades, but then are we giving up a gem? So far he's been about a 1/2 point per game guy and he's playing more like 0.75 ppg or so right now.... I guess if he can sustain that all year maybe we should keep him? I dunno. I'm not sure why i'm hedging on him tbh. 

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

You'd trade Tanev AND Gudbranson?

Who the hell is going to play RHD next year???

In reality, yea I would. If there were good offers for both of them yes. With Tanev we can find a potential #2 D that's right-handed to be apart of our future. If for some reason we can recover a 1st rounder for guddy then yea I would do it as well.

Pouliot has stated he prefers to play the right side. Stetcher, when he is healthy is a nice #4. Then we have Biega or we can ask for a #6 in a trade, tho I am sure many would say bring up a guy like Chatfield.

19 minutes ago, dayner said:

In reality, yea I would. If there were good offers for both of them yes. With Tanev we can find a potential #2 D that's right-handed to be apart of our future. If for some reason we can recover a 1st rounder for guddy then yea I would do it as well.

Pouliot has stated he prefers to play the right side. Stetcher, when he is healthy is a nice #4. Then we have Biega or we can ask for a #6 in a trade, tho I am sure many would say bring up a guy like Chatfield.

You say "we can find" as if it's easy. Teams like Toronto and Philly have struggled to find top-4 RHDs, that's why there so valuable. And we don't even have a surefire top-4 RHD prospect in the system. 

If we trade Tanev and Gudbranson, that is basically committing to continuing to rebuild for the next 3-5 years, because we sure won't be able to compete.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

You say "we can find" as if it's easy. Teams like Toronto and Philly have struggled to find top-4 RHDs, that's why there so valuable. And we don't even have a surefire top-4 RHD prospect in the system. 

If we trade Tanev and Gudbranson, that is basically committing to continuing to rebuild for the next 3-5 years, because we sure won't be able to compete.

As compared to what? Keep Tanev and Gudbranson and realize that in 2-3 years, if believing that they are at the same talent level, that our D-Core just isn't good enough. 

Sadly the Canucks defence are not that goodat generating/creating offence and that won't change if we keep these two one-dimensional defenceman. (Tanev is elite at what he does but unless we pair him with a uber-offensive defenceman like Rasmus Dahlin ;) then he is somewhat under utilized).

I disagree with trading Baertschi. Just because he's not a first liner does not mean we have to move him. We have a hardworking player with skill that has improved since he has arrived. He's building chemistry with Bo and Brock. Even if we bring in someone better than him doesn't mean that player will gel with them. Baertschi is here to stay imo

13 minutes ago, dayner said:

As compared to what? Keep Tanev and Gudbranson and realize that in 2-3 years, if believing that they are at the same talent level, that our D-Core just isn't good enough. 

Sadly the Canucks defence are not that goodat generating/creating offence and that won't change if we keep these two one-dimensional defenceman. (Tanev is elite at what he does but unless we pair him with a uber-offensive defenceman like Rasmus Dahlin ;) then he is somewhat under utilized).

Yuck.  As the other poster said, moving ONE of those guys, let alone both, cripples this team's ability to compete.

I say we hang on to Tanev and look forward to a potential Juolevi-Tanev top pairing over the next few seasons.  Tanev is only 27.

The only reason to move on from Gudbranson would be contractual or if it's for an absolute steal of a deal.  A healthy RHD depth of Tanev-Gudbranson-Stecher-Biega is one of the bright spots on our roster - it;s also young enough to be in place for the new core of Bo's line + Pettersson, etc.

If we're moving anyone it's a lefty.  Edler-MDZ-Hutton-Pouliot-Wiercoch then Juolevi, Holm and McEneny are all lefties.  It's also a log jam of 4-5-6 types in that bin that we could sell off as depth without losing much in the way of competitiveness.

I know Pouliot plays the right side and there's Chatfield but, to me, that's not nearly good enough to move any of Tanev-Guddy-Stecher.  Not yet anyways.

To answer the OP:

1) Thomas Vanek: I think this is a slam dunk. Brought in on a mercenary contract, Vanek is putting up decent points and playing with more of an edge than I expected.  At a cost-effective 2 mil he should recoup, at the least, a 4th round pick moved in the Pouliot deal but I'd say he nets a 3rd.

2) Alex Biega:  With Pouliot in the fold and able to play on the right side the Bulldog could be TDL fodder for a team looking to add a bit of gritty depth for the playoffs.  A UFA next year, he could also be brought back in the off-season.  Wouldn't expect more than a 5th or 6th round pick for him, though.

3) Edler/Del Zotto/Hutton:  this is a huge wild-card but with a logjam of middling LH defensemen there's an opportunity to see what's being offered for one of these 3.   These 3 are signed for next year  so they're less likely (not to mention Edler's NTC) but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them were shipped off.  Any of them should net a 2nd rounder or more if moved.

4) Derek Dorsett:  Old Double D has slowed down from his start but there's always a market for a guy with his skill set going into the playoffs.  Canucks likely have to retain some of his 2.65 mil salary to make it work but I could see a 3rd rounder or better coming back depending on how he plays up to the deadline.

5) Alex Burmistrov: Just kidding - that's super boring and I can't see anyone moving assets for Burmistrov for a playoff push.

5) The Twins:  I know, I know... they're saying they won't move... but talk is cheap and playing reduced minutes changes a lot. Plus they're UFA's and if they want to keep playing might need to look elsewhere. Would they agree to be split up and accept a trade? Canucks can retain salary on one.. and/or take on a contract in return to make it fit.  Highly unlikely.

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

To answer the OP:

1) Thomas Vanek: I think this is a slam dunk. Brought in on a mercenary contract, Vanek is putting up decent points and playing with more of an edge than I expected.  At a cost-effective 2 mil he should recoup, at the least, a 4th round pick moved in the Pouliot deal but I'd say he nets a 3rd.

2) Alex Biega:  With Pouliot in the fold and able to play on the right side the Bulldog could be TDL fodder for a team looking to add a bit of gritty depth for the playoffs.  A UFA next year, he could also be brought back in the off-season.  Wouldn't expect more than a 5th or 6th round pick for him, though.

3) Edler/Del Zotto/Hutton:  this is a huge wild-card but with a logjam of middling LH defensemen there's an opportunity to see what's being offered for one of these 3.   These 3 are signed for next year  so they're less likely (not to mention Edler's NTC) but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them were shipped off.  Any of them should net a 2nd rounder or more if moved.

4) Derek Dorsett:  Old Double D has slowed down from his start but there's always a market for a guy with his skill set going into the playoffs.  Canucks likely have to retain some of his 2.65 mil salary to make it work but I could see a 3rd rounder or better coming back depending on how he plays up to the deadline.

5) Alex Burmistrov: Just kidding - that's super boring and I can't see anyone moving assets for Burmistrov for a playoff push.

5) The Twins:  I know, I know... they're saying they won't move... but talk is cheap and playing reduced minutes changes a lot. Plus they're UFA's and if they want to keep playing might need to look elsewhere. Would they agree to be split up and accept a trade? Canucks can retain salary on one.. and/or take on a contract in return to make it fit.  Highly unlikely.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4  all good

I just don't see the value of moving the Sedin's...thought so for a while, but not with their decline......keep their pride intact

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4  all good

I just don't see the value of moving the Sedin's...thought so for a while, but not with their decline......keep their pride intact

Yeah, you're probably right!  Just thought I'd throw a curve ball. 

I think any of Gagner/Burmistrov/Wiercoch should be available I just don't think there's a market for them. 

I also don't think JB should be in a hurry to move Baer or Granny, though I think there would be interest.

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, you're probably right!  Just thought I'd throw a curve ball. 

I think any of Gagner/Burmistrov/Wiercoch should be available I just don't think there's a market for them. 

I also don't think JB should be in a hurry to move Baer or Granny, though I think there would be interest.

By them selves, you're probably right, but a team trying to top up for a playoff run may take one in a Canuck player XXXX  + Gagner/Burm/Wier

2 for what ever kind of deal which may make....say Vanek+Gagner to Columbus for a 1st or a 2nd + 3rd  more reasonable......just saying

Don't get hung up on the players or return...I was just using them as an example............

The more I think of this................

Vanek and Gagner 50%  Retained                                                     OR                 Vanek and Gagner     no retention

for                                                                                                                               for

Columbus's 1st and 2nd  if winning the Stanley Cup                                                 Montreal 2018 2nds (Mtl + Chi)

1st and 3rd if reaching the quarter finals

2nd and 3rd if reaching the semi finals

2nd and 4th if making the playoffs

the more I like

Trade for what though? As far as tradable assets, the guys with the highest value right now are probably: Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Juolevi and Demko. But none of these guys will be traded.

Here's who I think will be gone by the 2018/19 season:

- Gagner, Vanek, Burmistrov, Granlund, Goldobin and Hutton

_______ - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Pettersson - Virtanen

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson

Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Dahlen

Gaudette

Edler - Tanev

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Pouliot - Stecher

Juolevi

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:32 AM, Canadian Clay said:

I think you’re over valueing our left side. Goldobin is playing in the right side in Utica I believe, and dorsett and Vanek have both been playing the right side all season In Van. 

Left wing depth is really more:

Baer, Daniel, Loui, Gaunce, Dahlen, Gadjovich. 

Sedins will retire soon, Gaunce and eriksson are middle 6 at best, and Gadjovich is years away from being a top 6 player, if he ever gets there. 

This means you’re trading a guy who is on pace for over 50 points at the quarter mark of the season on the hope that Dahlen will be able to replace him. That’s just bad management. 

Jake's shot is more dangerous coming down his off wing. LW?

One of him or Boeser set up in Ovi's alley on a consistent basis. Petterson on the other side will look very good in a few years?

On 2017-11-19 at 12:24 PM, dayner said:

I agree. People forget we are still rebuilding.

Now I’m not pushing them out the door but If you can get a great return then all bets are off. 

Tanev is our most valuable tradeable asset which could land a 1st rounder/high prospect. In 2-3 years when were Competiting again that draftee or prospect will do us more good than a 32 year old, often injured, run downed Chris tanev 

and for guddy I’d like to re-sign him if he doesn’t break the bank. His hard nosed style is hard to come by.

BUT if edler would waive he’d go way before I’d trade guddy or tanev 

Archived