The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Guys(& gals)..suggesting we should lay off LE & Gauncer.

They say a rising tide shall lift all boats.

In that sense, youth, skill & speed would inject possibilities into some of our current laggards. It's coming, so let's not scorch every inch of land, assuming nothing will grow.

I don't count the twins, Edler, Vanek or Gag-me in that group. Too old, soft, or have had their chance, x plenty.

For Loui, let's show some commitment. He volunteered to play in a market that was obviously on the descent. I say he's still got some game in him. It's just that we have about 5 others crawling around at garden slug pace..that'll (hopefully) start changing real soon.

& Gaunce? One of our few home growns. At least he's got size, is smart & comes cheap. Like LE, he'll look good with the right cast.

These are two guys that we will need, but the types you can't expect to drive the play. We'll have other assets to play that role.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. I'd love to see Daniel lay out Marchand with a check and when that little rat-faced &^@# wants to dance, Daniel releases his inner Viking and treats Brad to game of punchy face.

Wouldn't it be nice eh.. But I'm afraid they don't have the necessary passion left in their hearts to stick a neck out. Neither does Edler.

Even a month ago I was holding onto the hope that the twins would shake off the rust, harness their inner viking and show us they're not done AND will be able to be effective support players for a couple more years.... Well that ain't happening. Not even close.

Fast teams with an aggressive forecheck are exposing not only how slow they skate, but that their skill sets have declined. Honestly, when I'm sitting here thinking they can hardly take a pass anymore... Ouch.

We have two lines that can cope with the speed and aggressiveness Vegas brought last night, coupled with the fact our D was literally crapping themselves when faced with a fast, tight 2-1-2 forecheck it's obviously time to accept our position in the bottom 1/3rd.

Rebuilding, right? Or not rebuilding right. Kinda the same scenario as the last few years.

Like, what in the f is Edler's deal? Returns from injury, plays two pretty strong games then decides it's time to drop a steamer every time he has to move the puck or play defence.

Then there's Al Dente, that dude sucks. I don't care that he made it low enough to the net and managed a kick pass to Bo. I don't care. Also, he got caught with his head down ffs, that's a benching. For his own good, too. He's out there playing like a marshmallow while Jake watches from the press box. We would have benefitted from Jake playing last night.

The twins, Gagner, Burmy, Gaunce and to a lesser extent Granny, need to step up. Eriksson is a whole other story. At least Tommy Gun is putting up points, I guess that should help boost his value come TDL.

Sad to say, but the leadership on this team is detrimental to success now and in the future. I've resigned myself to acceptance of our Lottery Team status.

And yes, I'm a sore loser. So what

Canucks release statement regarding the fan who was struck by a puck last night, who is resting and recovering at home:

Vancouver Canucks COO Jeff Stipec has released a statement regarding the fan struck by a puck at Rogers Arena on November 16th.

"The fan struck by a puck at last night's game received first aid treatment from St John's Ambulance medical staff, as well as on site assessment from a team physician. She was treated and cared for on site, then transported as a precautionary measure to a local hospital for further evaluation. We continue to be in communication with her and her family who have indicated she is home and resting comfortably. Out of respect for their privacy we are unable to provide further comment, but we are pleased to hear she is doing better.

Fan safety is our top priority at Rogers Arena. We commend the NHL officials for stopping play, and our first responders and medical staff for their attention and care. We strive to provide a game experience that is safe and enjoyable for all guests." - Jeff Stipec, COO, Canucks Sports & Entertainment

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-issue-fan-statement/c-293100484

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think too often, when it comes to the Sedins, there seems to be this inability to view them outside of the legendary/best Canucks ever lens, and not a realistic view of their productivity and performance dropping quite extremely.

The Canucks need to do everything they can to prepare for a future run at being contenders for the Stanley Cup. As with any other team, you move on from the previous core and start building a new nucleus that has chemistry and experience together.

Arizona moved on from Doan, Calgary from Iginla.

Vancouver moved on from Burrows and Bieksa, two players that I believe are just as important to the Canucks as the Sedins are. In fact, I'd include Kesler and Luongo in that conversation too. Outside of Luongo, the other three were drafted or signed from the minors by the organization and developed just the same. Would the Canucks have made it as far as they did in 2011 without Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, or Luongo? Not even close.

Luongo: best goalie we ever had, but not entirely appreciated.  Kesler and Bieksa are still missed.  Burrows will come back in a mgt position, if he wants one.  It was a team effort, too.  Remember Lapierre, Salo... a lot of good players in those years... You wonder sometimes how things would have gone, if Malhotra had only worn a visor earlier.

You are right though, for some reason we can't seem to deal with the Sedins realistically.  Edler has a different strategy, rather than being Mr. Leader-off-ice, he is like a bad employee who hides themselves in the workplace by never talking.

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guys(& gals)..suggesting we should lay off LE & Gauncer.

They say a rising tide shall lift all boats.

In that sense, youth, skill & speed would inject possibilities into some of our current laggards. It's coming, so let's not scorch every inch of land, assuming nothing will grow.

I don't count the twins, Edler, Vanek or Gag-me in that group. Too old, soft, or have had their chance, x plenty.

For Loui, let's show some commitment. He volunteered to play in a market that was obviously on the descent. I say he's still got some game in him. It's just that we have about 5 others crawling around at garden slug pace..that'll (hopefully) start changing real soon.

& Gaunce? One of our few home growns. At least he's got size, is smart & comes cheap. Like LE, he'll look good with the right cast.

These are two guys that we will need, but the types you can't expect to drive the play. We'll have other assets to play that role.

I like Gaunce, but he's been lacking intensity, physical play and seems slower than I remember. He needs to lay some hits. Green demanding Jake hit every shift, but Gaunce gets a Green light to soft play with his big body. Weak.

Loui's been looking strong since returning, I still expect a hell of a lot more given his salary

12 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I like Gaunce, but he's been lacking intensity, physical play and seems slower than I remember. He needs to lay some hits. Green demanding Jake hit every shift, but Gaunce gets a Green light to soft play with his big body. Weak.

Loui's been looking strong since returning, I still expect a hell of a lot more given his salary

I think this is Eriksson's last year, unless he shows something.  This had better be his turnaround year.  A buy-out in the summer for both Edler and Eriksson might be in the cards.  A lot of players will be making raises or be new to the team next year.  Both the money and the time on ice is going to be needed. 

As for Gaunce: something is missing, another sleep walker.  Either he needs to watch Dorsett's game, or maybe Kopitar's?  Find a way to use his big body and brains better.  Can you imagine Dorsett with Gaunce's body? Lol.  Conan the Barbarian on skates.  Or, maybe Gaunce just needs to pot a few, get some confidence.  He made some decent passes the other night, had a good shot on net... but still not there yet.   In the end, I think he is going to end up in the AHL/waived.   A real shame, because a lot of us like him. 

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

So who plays/sits? So many of these things(over the yrs) appear a 50/50 call. Yet with a number of our skaters, it seems they've been given mins based on what they did yrs ago.

Will they play blood & guts, b*lls-to-the-wall hockey? Or resemble F***ing mannequins wearing the jersey in a shop window?

Lucky..remember Roger Neilson's '82 run? That rag-tag bunch got into a brouhaha in Quebec(late in season, why Harry Neale couldn't coach/got suspended)..crazily fighting in the bleeding stands! Then they went on a run.

So lets see how the Flamers do the next few wks, after brawling in Detroit. Not hard-selling this mayhem..but sure we'll all agree our current incarnation has NONE of this wild-man element. Frankly tired of a cast that behave like asst staff in a freeken' Euro art museum!

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Canucks release statement regarding the fan who was struck by a puck last night, who is resting and recovering at home:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-issue-fan-statement/c-293100484

True story ...

I grew up in Halifax, going to AHL games, Nova Scotia Voyageurs, farm team for the Canadiens in the 70s and 80s.

I was at a game with my best friend and his dad. The days before they had nets to protect the fans. 

Guy Charbonneau took a slapshot, sailed one over the glass, and nailed my buddy's dad square in the stomach. Knocked the wind out of him. He slumped over and onto the floor in between the seats, groaning, flipping around like a fish.

The paramedics came down and helped him. Once they realized nothing was broken, they helped him to his feet and suggested he just walk it off until he feels better.

Lol ... the 80s. 

15 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Started the game ok breaking up a few plays and carried the puck forward, but from then on he went backwards. 

There was a particular time where he was in a prime position to lay a mega hit behind Vegas goal, and did a fly by.... If he doesn't score, he doesn't hit and he doesn't skate like the wind etc. his life will be short-lived in the NHL... 

Was looking forward to see him back, and still hope its rust for being out injured, but was really disappointed he didn't lay a hit, when the chance presented it self.

26 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Virtanen is so much more than a hitter so I would hope that Green let's Jake, be Jake' and doesn't try to pigeon hole him in to a one trick pony.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. I'd love to see Daniel lay out Marchand with a check and when that little rat-faced &^@# wants to dance, Daniel releases his inner Viking and treats Brad to game of punchy face.

Even better, cleans out Rat faces teeth with the mother of all cross checks, where after Danny gets the same skin decease as Hossa has and retires...

It would make my season become an instant success.

Just now, bluesman60 said:

Virtanen is so much more than a hitter so I would hope that Green let's Jake, be Jake' and doesn't try to pigeon hole him in to a one trick pony.

Totally agree. I hope he can be more than just a Raffi Torres, but it would seem they want him to Torres before he Scorres.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Dorsett , Sutter, Eriksson/Virtanen

Vanek, Granlund, Virtanen/Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner 

Change Granlund w Gagner... think the speed of Gagner and Virtanen will supplement each other

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Dorsett , Sutter, Eriksson

Vanek, Gagner, Virtanen

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund 

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Change Granlund w Gagner... think the speed of Gagner and Virtanen will supplement each other

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Dorsett , Sutter, Eriksson

Vanek, Gagner, Virtanen

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund 

I had them that way as those are the three guys I'd like to see playing the least minutes :lol:

IMO, Granlund deserves more minutes on that '3rd' line.

Archived