The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

10 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

6 is still pretty significant. Gudbranson has only averaged 2 fights a season over the last 4 years. He's tough, no one is arguing that. But I feel like there's a group of posters on here that think he's the incredible hulk or something. Kevin Bieksa was a much better fighter IMO and that didn't exactly stop anyone from pushing around the Sedins. 

The league is changing. There's less and less focus on physical play. The Sedins (our most pushed around players are playing less) and our team is getting physically stronger with age, not to mention smarter. This to me has more of an affect than Gudbranson. 

You could be proud of Kev as a fighter. He always gave it an honest go. Won a few fights. Lost a few. 

But no one serious was afraid of him.

Guddy scares people. Not just cuz he fights. He hurts people in the corners. He clears the net.

There are a lot less scrums in front of our net...

Why would we trade Guddy to the hated Leafs? 

In my eyes, Gudbranson is a player that will show his true worth during the playoffs.   You need his leadership, his toughness and his defensive skill.  His game is built for the playoffs.  

Do you believe that the media hype that is being orchestrated by Toronto media lap dogs will really force Jim's hand to trade with them?  

Laughable.  

Who cares which team fans hate.. if he gets traded you trade him to the team that offers best return. 

I have a feeling he's going to Penguins. 1st and a throw in prospect. 

I'd rather re sign him but if he's not re signed by TDL he has to get traded. 

3 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

Why would we trade Guddy to the hated Leafs? 

In my eyes, Gudbranson is a player that will show his true worth during the playoffs.   You need his leadership, his toughness and his defensive skill.  His game is built for the playoffs.  

Do you believe that the media hype that is being orchestrated by Toronto media lap dogs will really force Jim's hand to trade with them?  

Laughable.  

but . . . we not make dem playoff

6 hours ago, SedinMadness said:

I will never understand that if other teams are showing interest in our player then why on earth would we trade him. why can't we harness his value....i just don't get it....

1) It's not real estate, where the team is making money and picks off players.

2) We are very weak in RHD on this team. 

3) If the Canucks are offered a crazy good deal then yes, we can listen. Just don't hold your breath that it will happen. 

Just because you can trade a player, doesn't mean you should trade a player. 

On the other hand there's a couple of left handed D-men that I would have no problem moving, I just doubt they'd bring back much value. 

10 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Can't even sign him yet and your already calling him a write off on getting him signed and him becoming a UFA on us. Nothing points towards the fact he's not happy here, And your asking what I'm talking about ? You need to stop worrying about issues that are not issues yet cheers mate 

No. I &^@#ing didn't say that. He is a pending UFA right now when we traded for him he was an RFA. There is a big difference between the two and him being a pending UFA diminishes his trade value exponentially. If you're implying we should risk trying to sign him instead of trading him for Liljegren or similar prospect that is just pure stupidity. 

12 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Thats funny and all but all the best teams and best players in league have good possession numbers. If you have the puck more often than you don't then you are doing something right. 

We don't need Gudbranson at all, we need dmen who can skate up and down the ice fast and move the puck even faster and Guddy can do neither. Its a speed game now not a game of physicality. 

Yeah.....and Jim Rutherford signed Ryan Reaves for what reason exactly?

17 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Size isn't everything. We saw what Rypien could do. Look at Guddy when he fought someone his own size last year in Matt Martin. Nothing about that fight screamed "deterrent". Lucic would tune Gudbranson up.

Um it sure did prove as a detterent. I was at that game and Martin was dropped early and was lucky to survive. Martin is a tough guy but Guddy earned his respect and you won't see him go after a Stecher or a Boeser again. Tough guys like them have a code. I can say without hesitation there are few players that want to tangle with Guddy. Maybe a young Lucic would have beat him but not the Lucic of today. It's a toss up in my opinion. And to add Rypien was a god amongst men out there. By far the toughest most skilled fighter I've seen. Reminded me of Stan Jonathan

3 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Um it sure did prove as a detterent. I was at that game and Martin was dropped early and was lucky to survive. Martin is a tough guy but Guddy earned his respect and you won't see him go after a Stecher or a Boeser again. Tough guys like them have a code. I can say without hesitation there are few players that want to tangle with Guddy. Maybe a young Lucic would have beat him but not the Lucic of today. It'

I believe Martin commended Guddy after the fight, so clearly the fight left an impression. And if Lucic was going to fight Guddy he would have after that hit Gudbranson laid on him that threw him to the ice. Milan isn't one to usually let other players get the best of him.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I believe Martin commended Guddy after the fight, so clearly the fight left an impression. And if Lucic was going to fight Guddy he would have after that hit Gudbranson laid on him that threw him to the ice. Milan isn't one to usually let other players get the best of him.

You are correct and I'm sure Guddy respects him now as well. He usually fights for a reason and when he does the message is sent loud and clear.  Of course there will be a few meatheads like Tom Wilson who just attack him for no other reason but that usually doesn't end well for them as we saw earlier in the season. As far as tough guys go he's 100% top 5 in the league.

Just now, ohmy said:

You are correct and I'm sure Guddy respects him now as well. He usually fights for a reason and when he does the message is sent loud and clear.  Of course there will be a few meatheads like Tom Wilson who just attack him for no other reason but that usually doesn't end well for them as we saw earlier in the season. As far as tough guys go he's 100% top 5 in the league.

Without a doubt. He's been somewhat underwhelming lately, which is concerning, but as far as being an imposing figure, he is one of the few that most players won't readily tangle with.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah.....and Jim Rutherford signed Ryan Reaves for what reason exactly?

If you think that Rutherford trading a first round pick for a plug like Reaves was a good decision youre just as delusional as him.

Even the best GMs make idiotic moves

4 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

If you think that Rutherford trading a first round pick for a plug like Reaves was a good decision youre just as delusional as him.

Even the best GMs make idiotic moves

Rutherford made that decision because he was tired of his star players being run. He's delusional? The man has won three Stanley Cups as a GM, including two back to back championships.

If you even had something remotely resembling a clue, I might take your comment seriously, but you don't.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Rutherford made that decision because he was tired of his star players being run. He's delusional? The man has won three Stanley Cups as a GM, including two back to back championships.

If you even had something remotely resembling a clue, I might take your comment seriously, but you don't.

They won two back to back cups without any tough guys...

People getting run is slowly leaving the game.

If you think Reaves (Or Guddy for that matter) is preventing  or "scaring" anyone from taking runs at other players then you are clearly stuck in the past 

Archived