The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

16 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

They won two back to back cups without any tough guys...

People getting run is slowly leaving the game.

If you think Reaves (Or Guddy for that matter) is preventing  or "scaring" anyone from taking runs at other players then you are clearly stuck in the past 

Once again, Rutherford was the GM for those back to back championships. He clearly knows what he is doing, having won GM of the Year this summer. Rutherford believes getting a player like Reaves will help protect his players, and considering his experience and track record......well, he knows what he's talking about.

It's easy to dismiss the move without any actual proof to back it up. Maybe you have some analytics to provide?

There's been quite a few suspensions lately, which kind of flies in the face of your "theory" of players not being run. Gados, Watson, Tkachuk all in one week.

I get that you're of the mind that physicality is a thing of the past in hockey, but it actually hasn't gone anywhere at all. On average, an NHL game has around 40-50 hits registered. There aren't any teams built like the 2011 Bruins, mind you, but teams still factor in physical play. It's not going anywhere. So saying that it's a thing of the past is reductive and basic, and incorrect.

Teams have been drafting players higher that have more skill and speed, which has shaped how teams are playing.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Once again, Rutherford was the GM for those back to back championships. He clearly knows what he is doing, having won GM of the Year this summer. Rutherford believes getting a player like Reaves will help protect his players, and considering his experience and track record......well, he knows what he's talking about.

It's easy to dismiss the move without any actual proof to back it up. Maybe you have some analytics to provide?

There's been quite a few suspensions lately, which kind of flies in the face of your "theory" of players not being run. Gados, Watson, Tkachuk all in one week.

I get that you're of the mind that physicality is a thing of the past in hockey, but it actually hasn't gone anywhere at all. On average, an NHL game has around 40-50 hits registered. There aren't any teams built like the 2011 Bruins, mind you, but teams still factor in physical play. It's not going anywhere. So saying that it's a thing of the past is reductive and basic, and incorrect.

Teams have been drafting players higher that have more skill and speed, which has shaped how teams are playing.

Being able to hit and skate is different then being someone like Reaves who is only in the NHL for his fighting ability.

By your logic Rutherford can make any sort of trade or signing and it would be pardoned because of his success in the last two seasons

Just now, hatedkid666 said:

Being able to hit and skate is different then being someone like Reaves who is only in the NHL for his fighting ability.

Sure. If I'm not mistaken Reaves had an assist in the loss against Vancouver last month off a shot from the point, but.....yeah.....just in the league as a fighter.

Just now, hatedkid666 said:

By your logic Rutherford can make any sort of trade or signing and it would be pardoned because of his success in the last two seasons

When you win the Stanley Cup, you've clearly made good choices as a GM. Rutherford has been remarkably shrewd in how he built the team. I don't think that I know more than a GM as successful as Rutherford is, which you seem to think you do.

From what I've been reading, players in Pittsburgh are happy with Reaves being on their team and holding the opposition accountable. Remember that Crosby sustained a concussion in series against Washington, and there was some worry that it might be career ending.

Rutherford stated post-trade:

"We're getting a little bit tired of getting beat up game after game."

Again, if Rutherford, who is clearly a very successful GM, saw the need to prevent further concussions to Crosby or injuries to some of his younger star players, then it makes sense.

Just because it doesn't fit in nice and neatly with the narrative that some bloggers purvey that the league is moving away from physical play, doesn't mean that it isn't actually factual.

55 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

They won two back to back cups without any tough guys...

People getting run is slowly leaving the game.

If you think Reaves (Or Guddy for that matter) is preventing  or "scaring" anyone from taking runs at other players then you are clearly stuck in the past 

Go ask the players if those guys have an effect on the game. I guarantee they will tell you they do.  Intimidation is part of almost every pro sport whether it is mental or physical . I will side with the players actually playing in the games.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sure. If I'm not mistaken Reaves had an assist in the loss against Vancouver last month off a shot from the point, but.....yeah.....just in the league as a fighter.

When you win the Stanley Cup, you've clearly made good choices as a GM. Rutherford has been remarkably shrewd in how he built the team. I don't think that I know more than a GM as successful as Rutherford is, which you seem to think you do.

From what I've been reading, players in Pittsburgh are happy with Reaves being on their team and holding the opposition accountable. Remember that Crosby sustained a concussion in series against Washington, and there was some worry that it might be career ending.

Rutherford stated post-trade:

"We're getting a little bit tired of getting beat up game after game."

Again, if Rutherford, who is clearly a very successful GM, saw the need to prevent further concussions to Crosby or injuries to some of his younger star players, then it makes sense.

Just because it doesn't fit in nice and neatly with the narrative that some bloggers purvey that the league is moving away from physical play, doesn't mean that it isn't actually factual.

Okay Rutherford could literally do anything and youd be okay with it clearly.

And that one assist is 1/3 of Reaves points in 22 games this season. So cool of you to pick and choose

6 hours ago, peaches5 said:

No. I &^@#ing didn't say that. He is a pending UFA right now when we traded for him he was an RFA. There is a big difference between the two and him being a pending UFA diminishes his trade value exponentially. If you're implying we should risk trying to sign him instead of trading him for Liljegren or similar prospect that is just pure stupidity. 

your missing the whole point man, we havnt even had a chance to RE SIGN him and your scrambling to get rid of him, and no need for name calling on here that's uncalled for. 

6 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

your missing the whole point man, we havnt even had a chance to RE SIGN him and your scrambling to get rid of him, and no need for name calling on here that's uncalled for. 

You're the one missing the point and I didn't name call you. If a Liljegren calibre of prospect is on the table for Gudbranson you take him. 

4 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Okay Rutherford could literally do anything and youd be okay with it clearly.

And that one assist is 1/3 of Reaves points in 22 games this season. So cool of you to pick and choose

Why do you bother responding? Your response is pretty funny though.

You clearly don't get it, and the statement about picking and choosing is laughable considering how your post didn't take half of what I wrote into account.

Here, I'll explain it again in detail, so that you can follow along.

Rutherford trading for Reaves was a calculated move to address liberties being taken with players on the team he manages. Sidney Crosby (in Pittsburgh he's kind of a big deal) suffered a concussion from Matt Niskanen and Alex Ovechkin during the series against Washington last spring, and there was concern within the organization that Crosby couldn't take many more injuries of that kind. Rutherford's signing of Reaves was in hopes of preventing further possible attacks on star players.

A good GM addresses weaknesses and deficiencies on the roster to ensure a continuous state of contention. Rutherford saw a serious need, and filled it, in turn giving up quite a bit to St. Louis. Possibly too much, but when you've won back to back Stanley Cups, there is definite leeway from ownership, as they have accomplished the zenith of what's achievable in an NHL season.

Now if Benning made the same trade, it would summarily panned, because rebuilding teams desperately need picks, especially first rounders.

To say that Rutherford could do anything and I'd be okay with it is elementary and simplistic. I really don't care what the guys does. I'm much more interested in what Benning does. However, when a guy wins GM of the Year, his actions are a bit more plausible than those of a poster on a hockey website.

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You're the one missing the point and I didn't name call you. If a Liljegren calibre of prospect is on the table for Gudbranson you take him. 

I disagree with that I think gudbranson will be far greater value to our team in a playoff run than lilegren ever will be, we got a better prospect in juolevi to be a power play QB for us and guddy is a willy Mitchell 2.0 has that warrior fire inside him and also there is a lot of D coming up this draft id much rather have than  liljegren, id be all for sending elder for him tho 

Just now, LegionOfDoom said:

I disagree with that I think gudbranson will be far greater value to our team in a playoff run than lilegren ever will be, we got a better prospect in juolevi to be a power play QB for us and guddy is a willy Mitchell 2.0 has that warrior fire inside him and also there is a lot of D coming up this draft id much rather have than  liljegren, id be all for sending elder for him tho 

But....didn't you hear? Speed and skill are the only valuable assets in the new NHL. Physicality is done! Hockey is no longer a contact sport.

1 minute ago, LegionOfDoom said:

He has never played a full 82 game season in 6 years in the NHL and is looking for a huge payday. Odds are he is gone in FA. We have no chance in the playoffs we are rebuilding and if we can get a grade A prospect for a pending UFA we need to make that trade. Who knows maybe we overpay him and sign him in FA we will have the cap space. It could be a win win instead of a loss. 

32 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He has never played a full 82 game season in 6 years in the NHL and is looking for a huge payday. Odds are he is gone in FA. We have no chance in the playoffs we are rebuilding and if we can get a grade A prospect for a pending UFA we need to make that trade. Who knows maybe we overpay him and sign him in FA we will have the cap space. It could be a win win instead of a loss. 

Source?

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But....didn't you hear? Speed and skill are the only valuable assets in the new NHL. Physicality is done! Hockey is no longer a contact sport.

Yeah I heard.lol. I guess they’ll just have flags in their back pockets.

Its funny because the same people saying you don’t need toughness will be the ones complaining that Vancouver doesn’t have a response when demko boesser or EP are getting mowed down in a few years especially in a 7game series.

the formula has never changed speed skill toughness.

You’ll always need a response because there will alway be players like Marchand Tkachuk Gudas ect.why would they stop if nobody does anything to stop them.it like they don’t remember Ferland running around with no fear of retribution just a few years ago.

sure hope he’s resigned Jan 1st.

32 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah I heard.lol. I guess they’ll just have flags in their back pockets.

Its funny because the same people saying you don’t need toughness will be the ones complaining that Vancouver doesn’t have a response when demko boesser or EP are getting mowed down in a few years especially in a 7game series.

the formula has never changed speed skill toughness.

You’ll always need a response because there will alway be players like Marchand Tkachuk Gudas ect.why would they stop if nobody does anything to stop them.it like they don’t remember Ferland running around with no fear of retribution just a few years ago.

sure hope he’s resigned Jan 1st.

Yea and then watch him walk on FA for nothing so we should pass up on great prospects or picks to have a chance at signing an injury prone "tough" dman.  Great asset management. 

Archived