The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins, Blackhawks to face off in 2019 Winter Classic, Flyers to host Penguins in 2019 Stadium Series

Roberts

The Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks will take it outside next year, as the two teams have been chosen to compete in the 2019 Winter Classic.

The game will be held Jan. 1, 2019, at Notre Dame Stadium in Indiana, which seats more 77,000 fans.

The Blackhawks have played in five outdoor games, with their most recent coming last January against the St. Louis Blues. Chicago has a 1-4-0 all-time record when playing outside.

The Bruins have twice played outdoors, featuring in a pair of home games held at the Red Sox's Fenway Park and the Patriots' Gillette Stadium. Boston is 1-1-0 in outdoor games.

Three outdoor games are on the docket for this season.

The Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators will face off at TD Place Stadium in the Canadian capital, the state-rival Buffalo Sabres and New York Rangers will skate at Citi Field, home of the MLB's Mets, and the Toronto Maple Leafs will take on the Washington Capitals at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1422657-bruins-blackhawks-to-face-off-in-2019-winter-classic

The Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins will renew hostilities in the great outdoors next season, as the two rivals have been selected to compete in the 2019 Stadium Series.

The game will take place Feb. 23, 2019 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, home to the NFL's Eagles. The stadium seats nearly 70,000 fans.

The Flyers and Penguins linked up as part of last year's Stadium Series at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. The Penguins came away with a 4-2 victory.

Related: 5 teams we'd like to see in the Winter Classic

The game marks the fourth outdoor game for the Flyers and fifth for the Penguins.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1399816-flyers-to-host-penguins-in-2019-stadium-series

30 minutes ago, Green Building said:

It wouldn't upset me in the slightest if they did away with this novelty for 5 years. Enough already.

I wouldn't have an issue with it if it wasn't the same 3 teams every year. Hey guys some of us want to see more teams than Chicago, Pittsburgh or Washington. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I wouldn't have an issue with it if it wasn't the same 3 teams every year. Hey guys some of us want to see more teams than Chicago, Pittsburgh or Washington. 

And therein lies the rub. That's definitely part of the issue, I think I'm just over the spectacle of it all. The idea is neat, but the thing that did me in was the "outdoor" games in Vancouver and California that were in what, March or April? Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

And therein lies the rub. That's definitely part of the issue, I think I'm just over the spectacle of it all. The idea is neat, but the thing that did me in was the "outdoor" games in Vancouver and California that were in what, March or April? Ridiculous.

I went to the "outdoor" game here was really a really cool experience but it would have been better if done earlier in the year and the roof had been able to be opened up. 

The problem is it's outdoors, so it has to be a venue that's cold enough to play outdoors. 

January 1st is a good date. Unless the Canucks are building an outdoor rink at Whistler, or Big White, doesn't make sense for here. 

It's not like you're going to see Vegas and Florida in an outdoor game. 

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The problem is it's outdoors, so it has to be a venue that's cold enough to play outdoors. 

January 1st is a good date. Unless the Canucks are building an outdoor rink at Whistler, or Big White, doesn't make sense for here. 

January 25, 2014 says Hi!

Like the shootout, the Winter Classic has begun to lose it's novelty due to being too frequent. The 3-on-3 OT seems to have reduced shootouts, which makes them much more exciting when they occur. A similar thing would be good for the Winter Classic; perhaps make it a bi-annual thing?

15 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They did it in California, so they can do it anywhere.

Or if it was too much work, at least put one new team in each time.

Archived