2018 2nd R pick

total outgoing: about 10.1 mill AAV

EDM:

Poolparty

RNH

Larsson

2018 1st R pick

total: about 11.1 mill AAV

Essentially Edm goes all-in that they'll turn it around. Add Weber(& soon Sekeras), & it's a reasonable bet.

Mtl gets rebuild going with a bang. Sell Pacc(& perhaps Price) seperately, for more value. As Bergevin has currently built them, they're done.

Once Mtl sells off their main pieces, gas Bergevin. The Subban/Sergachev stuff will follow 'round forever. Start over.

Drouin, RNH, Pool & more incoming assets..they could build a fast young team in a few yrs.

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Since Bergie & Chia-pet are on the hot-seat, decided to do their jobs for them

Mtl: Weber(retain 1.5 mill)

Gallagher

2018 2nd R pick

EDM:

Poolparty

RNH

Larsson

2018 1st R pick

Essentially Edm goes all-in that they'll turn it around. Add Weber(& soon Sekeras), & it's a reasonable bet.

Mtl gets rebuild going with a bang. Sell Pacc(& perhaps Price) seperately, for more value. As Bergevin has currently built them, they're done.

Once Mtl sells off their main pieces, gas Bergevin. The Subban/Sergachev stuff will follow 'round forever. Start over.

Drouin, RNH, Pool & more incoming assets..they could build a fast young team in a few yrs.

Nux, that would be quite the blockbuster trade alright.

I'm thinking you might be doing Bergie's job a little bit better than Chia-pet's........pretty sure Chia-pet could do that one without your assistance. LOL

21 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Nux, that would be quite the blockbuster trade alright.

I'm thinking you might be doing Bergie's job a little bit better than Chia-pet's........pretty sure Chia-pet could do that one without your assistance. LOL

Waiting for my phone to ring, in case they need my expertise :^)

Meanwhile, off for a park-jog to dream up more humongous-big blockbusters...

Interesting proposal, one that involves many pieces that could fit each team's timeline as you outlined, OP.  That being said...

Weber on the Oil would pretty much force the Oil to go all-in now, since while Connor and Leon are still young they'll need to cash in while Shea's not yet in decline.  Shea's 32 now, and he probably only has a couple of years left in his prime.  Compare that with Adam who's only 25 and cost-controlled at $4.167 million/ season, Shea's nearly at $8 million, and with the $21 million from Leon and Connor alone, that's a lot of money spent on 3 players.  Sekeras, Lucic, Klefbom, Russell and Talbot combined eat up another $23 million right there, so that's nearly $52 million in 8 players.  Sure, it does work if they bargain bin hunt for the remainder of their roster, but that's not much flexibility (Gallagher is $3.75 himself).  Lastly, by giving up Jesse they lose likely one of their best scoring wingers when they're already reeling for offense from the wing.  Unless they can be like Pittsburgh and find their rotating cast of Guentzels, Sheary and etc. the Oil might have a tough time icing a competent, deep roster to maximize Connor and Leon's first few years of their primes.  Definitely a gamble for Chia.

Jesse, Nuge and Adam and the 1st to the Canadiens would be a pretty solid haul, seeing how they upgrade on the wing, get a cheaper big minute guy with room to grow and get a 1st for their rebuild.  By trading Price and Patches they'll really be set in the right direction.   

Yeah for what is going to MTL, I feel like they need to have something added going to EDM. Maybe swap out Gallagher for Patches? Idk if that works with the cap, but value-wise I think it is better. I'd probably alter the picks so the rebuilding team (MTL) wouldn't give up any.  

Edm:

Max Pacioretty     4.5mil

Shea Weber (1.5mil retained)  6.4mil

Total Outgoing: 10.9mil

MTL: 

Poolparty    0.925mil

RNH       6.0mill

Larson     4.17mil

2nd '18

Total Outgoing: 11.1mil

Essentially it is Larson for Weber with retention & RNH+Poolparty+2nd for Max Pac

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually @Nuxfanabroad this isn't the craziest thing you've proposed :lol: Weber probably would be happy to be back in Western Canada. 

Montreal still has to go out and get a PP QB at the trade deadline but it does solve issues for both teams. Or get Bergevin fired. Finally. 

I think with such a deal Mtl firmly declare they are sellers. Pacc, Chucky & perhaps Price, stuck in the shop window with price tags on pierced nostrils.

They tank to get a high 2018 pick. If Edm can't turn their ship around, Mtl would have 2 kicks at the big Dahlin-score.

So they also retain some coin on Weber, cos' Edm soon will be cap-shafted. So this enhances the return.

***WEBER is interesting***

1 yr of 8 mill, 3 yrs of 6 mill, then 3 mill, then 1 mill x 3 yrs..he'd wanna retire prob the last 3 yrs. So you're trading for a half-decade of mtn man, with the big bomb.

Nashville gets screwed(cap recapture) 24 MILLION! if Weber retired his last yr.(12 million/last 2 yrs) So Edm could easily sell Shea back there( a pick, or two) when he's about 38 yo., & they would LTIR him(league blessing) for any US market.

They can't afford RNH next yr, when McD's big $ gets started. If Puhl took off, they'll have the same problem. So you deal these guys for a big stud(albeit, older), where they know that'll be a fixed 6.3 mill AAV, 'til about 2023.

Edm risks their 2018 1st..but that's the price you pay to get someone like Weber at reasonable AAV.

Gallagher would add some determined zest to Edm's fwd-talent.

Lastly, if Mtl spirals downwards, their high 2nd should help Coiler fans accept the deal.

The gamble on the draft pick swap, makes this a pretty compelling poker bluff between Chia-pet & loony-Berg.

Weber is a lot of salary for the oil to eat up for a long time. Not sure if they'll be interested in that long of a commitment.

Also I'm not convinced adding Weber and Gallagher at the cost of Larsson  and RNH make them that much better in the short term. Better? Yes, but enough to make moving Poolparty and a 1st for a 2nd worth it? I can't see it. Not with the contract Weber has.

Oilers have at least a decade to compete for a cup. Oilers need ECL contracts to afford the expensive contracts they already have. They can't afford to be trading them away for an aging asset that is signed to a deal like that

I could see these two being trade partners, but Edmonton gets destroyed in this trade.  If Weber was 8-10 years younger than maybe he would be worth that price tag but that's a lot of really high value young players for a veteran.  Keep in mind that they traded Hall for Larsson.

They would definitely be interested in Weber but not at this price tag.  I could see RNH being the core piece of a deal going back to Montreal if they were to trade.  I'm just not sure Edmonton would part with Larsson, Nurse or Kelfbom, even in a deal for Weber.

Here would be my blockbuster suggestion:
To Edmonton:

Shea Weber

To Montreal:

Ryan Nugent Hopkins

1st round pick

Montreal gives up on this season but still adds a young good player and high draft pick to add to their core going forward.  Edmonton goes all in with a veteran anchor for their defense to help stabilize the team and give a good locker room presence.

There seems to be lots of potential trade options between these two teams.  Galchenyuk could be a good fit as a young winger since Edmonton has young centers.  Plekanec could be a piece to replace RNH in a deal. Lots of options.  The above deal is the one I think makes most sense for both teams.

On 11/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Since Bergie & Chia-pet are on the hot-seat, decided to do their jobs for them

Mtl: Weber(retain 1.5 mill)

Gallagher

2018 2nd R pick

EDM:

Poolparty

RNH

Larsson

2018 1st R pick

I would not do that if I was EDM.  way to much.

I think any deal mtl would be interested in would be based around PoolParty.  Hes young and full of potential.  He would be my focus in any trade.  If you dealing price get Nuge + talbot + a 2nd/3rd tossed in.  

Ok, I'll take a crack at it too, and make it even more of a blockbuster:

To Edmonton:
Price                            

Galchenyuk             

Weber                
Shaw
Pacioretty

To Montreal:
Talbot 

Draisitl
Puljujarvi                        
Lucic

Benson

1st round 2019 pick

I know this almost seems like a trading of teams it is so big, but hear me out:

Why Montreal does this:
They may not even make the playoffs and are certainly not a contender.  Nor are they headed to be one.  This is a blowup move, enabling Price to contend right away for a cup.  It gets doghouse Galchenyuk out of Montreal, a previously-thought unmovable contract in Weber, and an underperforming Shaw.  They give up Pacioretty which would obviously hurt, but getting Draisitl takes that sting away pretty quickly and he has many more years in this league than Pacioretty does and more room to grow as well. In return, Montreal receives a near-franchise player in Draisitl, a very strong prospect in Puljujarvi, and a fairly high risk but skilled player in Benson and a solid draft pick to start the rebuild on the fly.

Why Edmonton does this:They get their franchise goalie and massive help on their back end in Weber.  What they lose in production from Draisitl and Lucic they get back between Galchenyuk and Pacioretty, and to a lesser degree Shaw who at least has cup experience.  They do give up some of their prospect depth but the idea is for them to contend right now.

Season to taste with extra picks.

I can appreciate that there will likely be calls of overpayment on either side - which is to be expected with such an enormous move.  But bottom line: It helps Edmonton right now to win the cup and it helps Montreal with a quick teardown and rebuild.

Archived