The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Austin Watson suspended 2 games

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Austin Watson suspended 2 games
3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

but know its a suspension thanks to Bettman for americainng the game

No I know just funny listening to the play by play guy say it!

I agree it's not safe though to crush people from behind, can really seriously hurt or end someone's career and that's not cool.

Although it was nicer to see guys like Chelios get back up after being hit like that, compared to some of the guys now a days who like to soccer fake it until they see the arm go up.

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

15 years ago this was clean man the league is so soft now

DoPS got it right. Bertuzzi on Chelios was just as bad if not worse, since Chelios was out away from the boards more than during this hit. This was clearly hitting him in the numbers, WELL after the puck had left the players possession.

19 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

DoPS got it right. Bertuzzi on Chelios was just as bad if not worse, since Chelios was out away from the boards more than during this hit. This was clearly hitting him in the numbers, WELL after the puck had left the players possession.

Yeah, but we're talking about Chris Chelios. I can guarantee he deserved that ride from Bert.

Chelios was one of the cheapest, most dirty players of his era. Guy was a huge POS

"Soft" says the guy who wouldn't last a game in the NHL taking hits like that from a player who's 6'4" 204.

It's an illegal hit, and for good reason. As the game continues to get faster (and players bigger and stronger), you've gotta protect your biggest asset - the players. You can't just let them have at it and not worry about the consequences.

14 hours ago, Squamfan said:

15 years ago this was clean man the league is so soft now

Mildly funny story: I was at that game with my gf and we were sitting lower bowl. I would loudly (probably obnoxiously to non-canuck fans) boo and jeer Chelios anytime he was on the ice and this one guy kept looking over at me giving me the stink eye. So I point him out to my gf and she's like "OMG that's D.B. Sweeny!!! I'm going to get his autograph." I was like, "who the eff is D.B. Sweeny?" Turns out he is a C - list actor and been in a few movies, but anyway... my GF goes over and is talking with him during intermission and she asks how come he is at the game and he says very loudly, obviously loud enough for me to hear, that he is there watching his best friend Chris Chelios play. Then that hit happened pretty much in front of us a few minutes later. 

22 hours ago, VanGnome said:

I agree they got it right too.

The Bertuzzi hit now a days would be a suspension for sure, but back then this was a clean hit just how it was back then. Plus Chelios saw Bert coming and faked to go one way and then went the other way, little of Chelios fault, but as mentioned he was a dirty player and did serve the hit! The Bertuzzi hit was not WELL after Chelios had possession... Unless you're talking about to the Watson one then yes it was a little late not crazy late but just a little, still hitting him in the numbers like that isn't cool. 

Side note what a bad way to have your NHL debut for Toninato

Archived