The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks place Rodin on unconditional waivers

SvenBae

Was hoping he would get a shot, but reality is he's been passed on the forward depth chart by Goldobin and Boucher, and will soon be passed by Petterson, Lind, and Gaudette.  Hope for the best for him on the next part of his hockey journey, wherever that may be.

I guess you beat me. Here's the official statement:

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced that forward Anton Rodin has been placed on unconditional waivers today for the purpose of being released from his contract.

"Anton asked to be released from his contract," said Benning. "We value the skill and depth he adds to our team but ultimately it was important to respect Anton's request to move on."  

Rodin played seven games with the Utica Comets (1-1-2) this season and was limited to three games as a Canuck last season due to injury. A Stockholm, Sweden native, Rodin was originally drafted by the Canucks 53rd overall, in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.  

I think it's a kindness from the Canucks. Rodin is walking away from one-way money, that he wasn't otherwise guaranteed; so I can respect that he wants to move on. 

It's a combination of bad luck and tremendous depth.t Rodin made the Canucks out of camp last year, but couldn't play due to his knee. The Canucks gave him another shot this year, only to add more depth with guys he couldn't beat out. 

I think this just means he can sign with another team or go back to Europe. If he were to stay in NA, I have to think he'd see the minors again, only this time on a two-way.  

1 minute ago, zzbottom said:

The most hyper-inflated prospect in recent Vancouver history. He was never strong enough to be a legitimate NHL player. The question is, do you think he will score 25 goals or 30 goals next season???

Like Sergei Shirokov, Steve Kariya, and Fedor Fedorov before him.

8 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

The most hyper-inflated prospect in recent Vancouver history. He was never strong enough to be a legitimate NHL player. The question is, do you think he will score 25 goals or 30 goals next season???

Honestly, had he not re-injured himself or rushed himself back into the line-up last year, he would've been on our team. He was lights out in pre-season last year (led our team in pre-season with 6 or 7 points) and then he reinjured his knee or whatever which he had surgery on months before and he was out for basically the entire season again. If he was healthy last year, you would have never seen Megna.

Then this year with all the added depth (Vanek, Burmistrov, Gagner) as well as Virtanen and Boeser out playing Rodin in preseason, Rodin got sent down but due to the veteran rule thing in the AHL, he was being misused. 

I hope he gets a chance elsewhere. I think he's done with Vancouver from now on.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Honestly, had he not re-injured himself or rushed himself back into the line-up last year, he would've been on our team. He was lights out in pre-season last year (led our team in pre-season with 6 or 7 points) and then he reinjured his knee or whatever which he had surgery on months before and he was out for basically the entire season again. If he was healthy last year, you would have never seen Megna.

Then this year with all the added depth (Vanek, Burmistrov, Gagner) as well as Virtanen and Boeser out playing Rodin in preseason, Rodin got sent down but due to the veteran rule thing in the AHL, he was being misused. 

I hope he gets a chance elsewhere. I think he's done with Vancouver from now on.

6 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I guess you beat me. Here's the official statement:

I think it's a kindness from the Canucks. Rodin is walking away from one-way money, that he wasn't otherwise guaranteed; so I can respect that he wants to move on. 

It's a combination of bad luck and tremendous depth.t Rodin made the Canucks out of camp last year, but couldn't play due to his knee. The Canucks gave him another shot this year, only to add more depth with guys he couldn't beat out. 

I think this just means he can sign with another team or go back to Europe. If he were to stay in NA, I have to think he'd see the minors again, only this time on a two-way.  

someone could pick up his contract theoretically as well but I suspect he's headed home. I like that Jim didn't drag it out, and I guess the +'s are a roster spot and a bit of cap space for trying to land a college player or a trade. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

someone could pick up his contract theoretically as well but I suspect he's headed home. I like that Jim didn't drag it out, and I guess the +'s are a roster spot and a bit of cap space for trying to land a college player or a trade. 

He is probably hoping that someone picks his contract up.  He said he had other options but decided to sign with Vancouver.  He signed just before free agency and probably didn't expect Benning to also bring in Vanek, Gagner and Burmistrov.  That left only two open spots and these were earned by Boeser and Virtanen.

Archived