The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks place Rodin on unconditional waivers

SvenBae

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

At the start of the season, I was very bullish on Rodin and focused on him. I think you need to watch all of his shifts (not just the highlights) in the NHL and perhaps the AHL (note: not Europe) games and just focus on him and you'll see that his impact was nowhere near Baertschi's. A lot of other writers have also mentioned his weaknesses. I'm still rooting for him, but he just wasn't very good.

The reason he was tentative was undoubtedly because of the injuries.  He had just started getting back to being more aggressive, but with all the time off it was going to be a while before he got back to where he was.  Maybe he'll never make it back and never be the same, but he showed excellent skill, speed, and vision, perhaps more upside than Baertschi overall.  Likely won't ever find out, sadly, but fortunately we have more forward prospects now that will take whatever spot he potentially had.

So, my big question in this would be, is this clearing log jam of veterans in Utica, or is the making space to bring someone else in, like Dahlen over to Utica in December.

Wasn't Dahlen only signed to the current team in Europe for first few months while he regained strength from Mono?

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Uh, no.  He looked to have Baertschi-like potential and made the team last year.  Maybe the injuries can never be overcome, but such a shame as we certainly could have used his offense and he wanted and tried so hard to make it to the big show.

I'm not sure there was enough done to "protect" him while he was breaking in at the AHL level (you some fairly physical individuals in that league that weren't afraid to take runs at people).  Might be a reason alone to keep Guds around the Canucks (provided of course, it's at a reasonable salary).

I had a dream in the off season that he would come and be a saviour... Bure 2.0. 

Well... at least we got Brock. Man I love me some Brock 'N Rolla! 

All the best to Anton. I'm surprised no other team would give him a crack. 

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm not sure there was enough done to "protect" him while he was breaking in at the AHL level (you some fairly physical individuals in that league that weren't afraid to take runs at people).  Might be a reason alone to keep Guds around the Canucks (provided of course, it's at a reasonable salary).

That has always been the case in the AHL, nothing new. Rodin's first injury was with the Wolves and that team was not that strong. I thought he was doing well up to that point. There are countless hockey players that see their NHL dream destroyed by injury. I wish Rodin well. At some point the tax favored Euro league paycheck has to come into play as age creeps up.  

Haven't scrolled thru yet, but feel bad for this kid. Good health wasn't in the cards. Seems MG's draft yrs were basically snafu'ed, cursed & ill-advised..to put it mildly.

Also had picked Rodin as my season 'dark horse'..guess it's better than blowing my $ at the track! Ah well..good luck to the guy.

Archived