The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Philip Holm from Utica, re-assign Patrick Wiercioch

Odd.

Holm, 25, spent the 2016-17 season with Vaxjo of the Swedish Hockey League where he recorded 21 points (4-17-21) and 30 penalty minutes in 52 games. He signed a one-year, entry-level contract with the Canucks in May 26.

To make room, the Canucks have reassigned veteran defenceman Patrick Wiercioch to Utica.

The Canucks have been short two top-six defencemen in recent games with both Chris Tanev (upper body) and Troy Stecher (knee) on the injury list. However, Tanev is expected to return to the lineup this week.

Meanwhile, Rodin was placed on waivers for the purpose of being released from contract.

“Anton asked to be released from his contract,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “We value the skill and depth he adds to our team but ultimately it was important to respect Anton’s request to move on.”

Rodin, who was MVP of the Swedish league in 2016, scored a goal and one assist in seven games with the Utica Comets  this season and was limited to three games as a Canuck last season due to injury.

The 26-year-old Stockholm product was originally drafted by the Canucks (53rd overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Vancouver, which is coming off a 4-3 overtime loss to the St. Louis Blueson Saturday at Rogers Arena, will open a six-game road trip Tuesday, 4 p.m. PT, in Philadelphia.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-recall-swift-skating-defenceman-philip-holm-from-utica

He's been our best defenseman down in Utica. Would love to see him get a game sometime down the road.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holm is going to play, and he's not going back.  He's still youngish for a D-man.  Can you play the right side?  I wonder about a potential trade in the works?

I hope so. I'd like to see him in for Biega before Tanev or Stecher comes back. 

A trade..... maybe. This seems like more of a chance for Jim to see what Holm has, assuming Green is willing to play him. 

Hrmm, the Holm move was 3 hours ago, but this is the first thread? Lazy CDC.

I think he's just up for a paycheck as a reward. We have Stecher and Tanev with the team on the roadtrip due to return. This also helps with Wiercioch approaching 30 days at the NHL level; thus preventing him from being exposed on waivers again. 

It's good to see Holm rewarded. I think many facets of his game are NHL level.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope so. I'd like to see him in for Biega before Tanev or Stecher comes back. 

A trade..... maybe. This seems like more of a chance for Jim to see what Holm has, assuming Green is willing to play him. 

Maybe giving Pouliot some time off.  He's struggled in the last couple of games.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe giving Pouliot some time off.  He's struggled in the last couple of games.

couple of bobbles anyway, but I also don't think Edler is doing him any favours. Overall I'm pretty happy with him and would like to see him get a chance to work through it, thats the chance he didn't get in Pits. 

19 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Hrmm, the Holm move was 3 hours ago, but this is the first thread? Lazy CDC.

I think he's just up for a paycheck as a reward. We have Stecher and Tanev with the team on the roadtrip due to return. This also helps with Wiercioch approaching 30 days at the NHL level; thus preventing him from being exposed on waivers again. 

It's good to see Holm rewarded. I think many facets of his game are NHL level.

Speaking of which

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holm is going to play, and he's not going back.  He's still youngish for a D-man.  Can you play the right side?  I wonder about a potential trade in the works?

Seems like more of the same, giving performers a taste, salary cap LTIR / juggling games.  But, maybe.

No comments on Rodin asking to be released? I got slagged early season for saying he's a bust, and not good enough for the big league.

Don't let the door hit ya Anton!

Edit - saw the negs and realized he had a good amount of fans somehow, thought I would add Rodin SUCKSSSS

Archived