The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling is outscoring our D

Ray_Cathode

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

He didn't try to improve our D he tried to speed up development something that rarely works. That is what hurts the most here. And if you watch Forsling play you realize that this kid is a STUD. Just watch Chicago the kid looks so good out there.

You know this how exactly?

Speeding up development means trading for someone who is supposedly at a later stage of development - and it "rarely works"?

Big whoop.  Every team has garbage trades.  Benning won on the Baer and Granlund trades by far.  Hell Shink hasn't played this year and is a non-factor for the flames.  It sucks but sometimes you have to gamble, sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't.  Clendenning was a 2nd round pick putting up over .5 ppg over 3 AHL seasons so they felt he may be a good defenceman for them.  It was a worthwhile gamble, no one at the time knew how well Forsling would pan out, he could have been the next Jordan Subban for all we know.

a 5th round pick selected by jb

clearly the rest of the nhl passed on this guy at least 4x each

he was drafted and traded at a time when the view of smaller mobile dmen really was not yet flushed out

the trade made sense at the time given the needs of the canucks for youth who were somewhat developed

like another has said, hindsight is always 20 20

few complained much about this trade when it was made

i believe the canucks subsequently also snagged stanton from the hawks as they had to many young dmen

and tried to sneak him through waivers

stanton contributed to the canucks for a season or so as well

This isn't as much a compliment to Forsling as it is slag on our current defense. Listing all the defensemen outscoring ours would put it in better perspective. 

It's hard to be mad about the Forsling trade when Hutton and Stecher stepped in nicely soon after. What we're truly lacking is that solid #1.

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

He didn't try to improve our D he tried to speed up development something that rarely works. That is what hurts the most here. And if you watch Forsling play you realize that this kid is a STUD. Just watch Chicago the kid looks so good out there.

If you watch Forsling play for CHICAGO with Seabrook/Keith/Rutta under a championship calibre team with future hall of fame coach Joel Quenville managed by hockey legends the Bowmans he looks like a STUD

But if you put him in vancouver with Alex Edler....

Circumstances are everything.

11 months ago Anton Rodin was a point per game player penciled in to our top 6 by quite a few people, now he's an injured waiver cast off.

Hindsight is everything that circumstances don't give you

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Apparently, he was traded for, along with a 2nd round pick, for Adam Clendenning and Brandon Sutter, in order to get rid of a guy who went on to win two Stanley Cup rings.

It was a swap of picks, ultimately a change of 9 spots in the draft.  And that "cup-winning guy" was let go for nothing.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Some great reading for sure.  "Hindsight"

Sigh...Bo Sand.  Free DESI!!!!

I could go on and on and on.  The entire forum barring literally Desi alone was totally on board with this trade.  Hindsight....

I just read through the first dozen pages,  gotta say, I miss Desi's tamtrums and undying, passionate love for Bo Sang.

Had forgotten he got labelled Bo Sangs mom.

Anyways, trades a trade. We had a need at the time, Clendenning didn't pan out. Oh well, get over it, Cathode.

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you watch Forsling play for CHICAGO with Seabrook/Keith/Rutta under a championship calibre team with future hall of fame coach Joel Quenville managed by hockey legends the Bowmans he looks like a STUD

But if you put him in vancouver with Alex Edler....

Circumstances are everything.

11 months ago Anton Rodin was a point per game player penciled in to our top 6 by quite a few people, now he's an injured waiver cast off.

Hindsight is everything that circumstances don't give you

You make some good points but to be fair, penciled in by who?  This is a problem on CDC.  A lot of free agents signed, players traded for, and nearly every one of our prospects is penciled in to do really well by the same people.  

Also.  When the situation is reversed and Vancouver does well (trading for Baertschi), then it's just a smart move.  No circumstance mentioned.

In the grand scheme of things unless I'm missing something, at this point I don't think Forsling has done anything for this fanbase to be upset about this trade.  

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I was looking at the prospect points tracker all the way down at the bottom, and noticed:

If Forsling ( Gillis pick, I believe) could transfer himself and his points to Vancouver, he would be our highest scoring defenceman  at 2g 5a in 17 games compared to Del Zotto at 1g and 6a in 20 games played.  Apparently, he was traded for, along with a 2nd round pick, for Adam Clendenning and Brandon Sutter, in order to get rid of a guy who went on to win two Stanley Cup rings.

In PPG, Jarred McCann with 2g 3a in 8 games, would be our second highest scoring C.  Thankfully, Benning is better at drafting that at evaluating NHL talent.

Forsling was a Benning pick. gg

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Some great reading for sure.  "Hindsight"

Don't listen to DeNiro when it comes to evaluating young players.  

"Doesn't mess around, and isn't afraid to make moves..."  sounds like he's talking about Trump.  

deniro.thumb.JPG.1fa788dc8aed89f997e3eccacd6e42c8.JPG

Nylander and Ehlers too small to compete?  Man, he must have been upset when we drafted small and skilled 165lb Pettersson.

Capture.JPG.a183cf23ed9a371d9531266f90fa1975.JPG

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Don't listen to DeNiro when it comes to evaluating young players.  

"Doesn't mess around, and isn't afraid to make moves..."  sounds like he's talking about Trump.  

Nylander and Ehlers too small to compete?  Man, he must have been upset when we drafted small and skilled 165lb Pettersson.

Yous a savage

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Canucks have 4 players scoring double digit numbers.

Hawks have 9

Canucks have 5 additional players with more than 5 points.

Hawks have 4.

Hawks D en masse is outscoring the Canucks 43 points to 23 points.

Just, you know...for reference.  Without ever remembering that Forsling was small and had exactly 1 decent WJC while Clendenning was not only larger but also nearly .70 PPG average in the AHL over 3 seasons at that point in time at the same position

Thankfully Benning saw a chance to improve our team like any GM would do and sold high on an unknown prospect to take a chance on a guy who didn't pan out but looked very promising.  Thankfully Benning found guys like Chatfield, Brisebois etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc after almost 13 years of mediocre to absolutely abysmal drafting.

Edit.  I was not a Benning fan, but it takes a real downer to not see how and where he's tried to improve this team and to see where it is headed in the future.  I do not foresee any chance that Forsling has 7 points as of right now on a team like the canucks over the Hawks with keith, Rutta and seabrook

Every move has logic behind it, no GM makes a move with the intentions of getting bent over, Just because there was some logic behind it doesn't mean a GM should get a free pass, it's the GM's job to outweigh the risks.  I guess we can also say Neely was a good trade too.

If we want to praise GM's for the good moved that we we're able to hit home runs on we have to be able to critique them on the ones they missed as well.

Archived