The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Philadelphia Flyers

-Vintage Canuck-

So Erik Gudbranson led all Canucks skaters in on-ice CF, CF% Rel, FF, FF% Rel, SF, SF% Rel, SCF, SCF% Rel, HDCF, and HDCF% Rel. 

Basically, he just killed it on the underlying "possession" metrics.

And he also had very solid numbers last game.

His stats are still way underwater for the season, but definitely nice to see this recent trend, and figured it deserves some acknowledgement.

And a little bit of an extra observation:

For some strange reason, Gudbranson's name hasn't been mentioned in JD Burke's Canucks Army post game reports since the Vegas loss.

Hmm... wonder why? Seems like Guddy has been a regular feature in those reports whenever he's gotten killed on his events differentials. 

I'm not saying Gudbranson doesn't have his warts (especially on the stats side). But I just feel like anyone who makes a habit of criticizing a player on his stats and always seems to cite the data when Guddy has a statistically bad game should also make a point to acknowledge the good results.

Otherwise, the criticism tends to read like cherry picking numbers to fit a narrative.

And that type of stuff creates an even wider divide between pro and anti analytics camps of this fanbase.

There's a legitimate discussion to be had within this fanbase (and on both sides of the fancy stats divide) regarding Gudbranson. But for there to be any chance of actually having it, both sides really need to try to set their biases aside.

Unless JD really likes echo chambers? If that's the case, I guess he should keep doing what he's doing.

Strong games imo.

Gaunce, what a set of shifts from him. I just wish he could crack the scoreboard.

Beiga, Guddy, Hutton and Edler - the latter two have been taking a lot of criticism but they had great games. The whole D played well so was it any coincidence the amount of help they seemed to get from the forwards?

Sutter, Granny, Vanek and Gagner were very noticeable in defence and in shutting down the Phily forwards.

Boeser and Baertschi - difference makers.

A mention for the Twins. This was probably the best game I have seen from them. Their TOI was around 13mins incl PP, I hope this is a sign of things to come. It was not that they were standouts but they were not noticeable for their mistakes and bad covering in this game. 

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is exactly the culture Jim Benning is trying to create. Stay away from the Tkachuks and bring in players that bring more than just on-ice scoring. When he took Baylee Bjorge, who has down syndrome, to her prom, that is the first big thing that caught my eye about his personality off the ice. Hopefully, other teams or fans start respecting our team more with the new, character-type prospects we're bringing in each year, and it's a shame the Sedins didn't get much respect throughout their careers.

Imo rightly or wrongly, REAL respect from fans in this league seems to go in the main to forwards who can push back and defend themselves. There are exceptions but not many. 

Look at someone like Bure, he had it all but he also had push back which I think gave him even more respect in the league.

Boeser looks like he might have that in him.

Special teams are shaping up.  PK is good, and no real fall off as between the two PP units which seem to be coming on a bit.  

Gaunce was very good.  Better ask Boeser for some shooting tips and we will have another power forward 3d liner who can play shut down too.  VIrtanen also played his role well and it was one of those 4 lines rolling nights.  

Bo Horvat had several hellacious back checks out there.  He is a real engine.  Baertschi gets to create and throw those insane passes with Bo backing him up.  Baer just missed on several very creative passes last night that would have set up perfect scoring chances.  He is playing such a dynamic game.  Baertschi is one of the top 10 most skilled players in the league.  See him bat that puck out of the air last night?  Made it look easy.  Just has to make sure he isn't playing too cute at times.  

Nice to see Hutton making plays out there and Edler actually pinched a couple of times.  Finally getting on board with Green's pressure tactics.  

Ericksson seems to have some new life in his game.  I keep waiting for that vet line of Ericksson, Gagnier and Vanek to have a dominant game.  They seem to be getting better with each game.  

10 hours ago, pluralsight said:

Brock is going to be good, but at this point Naslund is definitely the best pure goal scorer after Bure. Hard to argue against 3 consecutive 40 goal seasons. And of course this shot:

It is a very different wrist shot.  Nassy had more of the classic wrist shot, draws the stick back more and really uses wrist.

Brock's has less wind up, he drops his shoulder to flex the stick and lets the flex on the stick propel the puck more, a shot developed from playing with composite sticks his whole career where Nazzy probably started on wood or aluminum sticks.

Both look great but very different ways of getting same result...goals.

9 hours ago, fourtwentyfour said:

I kinda like bear and vanik together what y'all think about moving him down with granny and vanik Jake up with Bo and Boeser and Loui with the twins I guess or Gagne we think vanik and bear and granny with the twins.  Good game though by the boys let's do it again tomorrow shall we. 

Vanek and Baert seem to be cooking up some chemistry,,,especially on the PP

8 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

And right now Petterson, having just turned 19, is leading the SEL in scoring and the Swedish media are calling him the second coming of Forsberg.......   The kid's highlight reel so far this year is a mix of great goals and passing

He looks intense,,,similar to Doug Gilmour or St Louie

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is exactly the culture Jim Benning is trying to create. Stay away from the Tkachuks and bring in players that bring more than just on-ice scoring. When he took Baylee Bjorge, who has down syndrome, to her prom, that is the first big thing that caught my eye about his personality off the ice. Hopefully, other teams or fans start respecting our team more with the new, character-type prospects we're bringing in each year, and it's a shame the Sedins didn't get much respect throughout their careers.

Too be honest, I believe they are two of the most respected players in the league if you're only talking respect...it was awesome to watch when they were in their prime.

26 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Vanek and Baert seem to be cooking up some chemistry,,,especially on the PP

On the PP but the Baer-Horvat-Boeser line is not going to be broken up any time soon.  Green told this to Paterson yesterday:

“They’re getting a lot of offensive opportunities and they’re facing the other teams’ top defensemen a lot and that’s a pretty good sign that other teams are considering them a scoring line,” the coach says. “That’s what we envisioned all three of those guys being. When will they become a top offensive line in the league? Time will tell.”

11 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Brock Boeser is undoubtedly the best pure goal scorer this team has ever seen not named Pavel Bure.  I'd put him top 3 in his draft year only because the other two were McJesus and Eichel.  Other than those two Brock is above everyone else.  Remember Benning had this guy in his top 10.  He couldn't believe how far he fell and ran to the podium when he was still available.  You could hear Benning at the table before the pick saying he couldn't believe Boeser was still there.

He is gonna be a beauty.  Definitely a 40 goal scorer and I think he will be a 50 goal scorer and has a shot at winning the Rocket Richard trophy in his career.  If Petterrsson develops into a 1C that could be a lethal combination really, the likes of which we haven't seen ever really.  Bure never had a true 1C to play with other than that first year with Larionov.  Morrison was really a 2C.  And although Henrik was a 1C in his prime Daniel was never really dangerous as a pure goal scorer as Brock is today.

Boeser is a lock for the Calder this year I think.  We finally have ourselves a pure top line goal scorer, a Brett Hull or Mike Bossy in the making really.

I recall Mogilny being a pretty good scorer as well. :)

7 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Amazing skills i hope he has the wheels to avoid the monsters  hes only 165lbs at 19.

Exactly my thoughts.

Most of his goals there show no one near him. Do we really think he will get that kind of space from Boston, Calgary, Jets, LA, Ducks etc. The kid is built like a jockey's whip. He will need to beef up.

3 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Special teams are shaping up.  PK is good, and no real fall off as between the two PP units which seem to be coming on a bit.  

Gaunce was very good.  Better ask Boeser for some shooting tips and we will have another power forward 3d liner who can play shut down too.  VIrtanen also played his role well and it was one of those 4 lines rolling nights.  

Bo Horvat had several hellacious back checks out there.  He is a real engine.  Baertschi gets to create and throw those insane passes with Bo backing him up.  Baer just missed on several very creative passes last night that would have set up perfect scoring chances.  He is playing such a dynamic game.  Baertschi is one of the top 10 most skilled players in the league.  See him bat that puck out of the air last night?  Made it look easy.  Just has to make sure he isn't playing too cute at times.  

Nice to see Hutton making plays out there and Edler actually pinched a couple of times.  Finally getting on board with Green's pressure tactics.  

Ericksson seems to have some new life in his game.  I keep waiting for that vet line of Ericksson, Gagnier and Vanek to have a dominant game.  They seem to be getting better with each game.  

Baer is playing with a lot of Confidence right now. Think of the player who came from Calgary and the player now. 

Archived