The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Philadelphia Flyers

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

That one play where he was driving from the side but was just pushed to the outside and did a weak backhander on goal..

If he had the composure and confidence to just drive the net. Use his size and make a proper move to beat out the goalie, he would be a prime piece of our team.

As of right now, his decision making should be smarter and he needs to play tougher. 

Go like it's his last game every shift. Brock is doing that and it shows. 

It's really what Mason Raymond did a lot of here, except one year. Speed to the outside, and stayed on the outside, with a shot that probably wasn't fooling anyone. 

The difference is that Jake has a lot more bulk to him, so that shouldn't be what he's continuously trying and failing at. 

Yes, I think Virtanen is thinking too much out there, and maybe that's because he's playing with the Sedins. He's also under Green's microscope, so there is pressure to not make any mistakes. Jake is super fast, has a great shot, can play physical, but his game is a bit stifled with the Sedins I think. 

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

It's really what Mason Raymond did a lot of here, except one year. Speed to the outside, and stayed on the outside, with a shot that probably wasn't fooling anyone. 

The difference is that Jake has a lot more bulk to him, so that shouldn't be what he's continuously trying and failing at. 

Exactly.

I dont expect Virtanen to have a 30 goal season but at least if he plays tough and has that mindset of playing his last shift every shift out there,

he will be so much more productive and take his game to the next level.......

Its disappointing to see such a raw talent not having the confidence to perform to his capability

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A Canuck? Look outside the blue n green.

How about Corey Perry. Who is more abrasive. But much of the rest, choppy stride, heavy on the puck, wide stance, blonde hair & blue eyes, uncanny wicked instincts, shot...

Winner!

Perry shoots closer around the goal I think.

I am not saying they are same type of player but Brock reminds me of Brett Hull.

A true threat every time he shoots and he shoots to score.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, I think Virtanen is thinking too much out there, and maybe that's because he's playing with the Sedins. He's also under Green's microscope, so there is pressure to not make any mistakes. Jake is super fast, has a great shot, can play physical, but his game is a bit stifled with the Sedins I think. 

Ya. Virtanen will be a good NHLer. I just hope it's with the Canucks and not another team.

I really dont want our management to run out of options but to trade him for new scenery.

57 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I gotta see a game in Philly one day, that crowd is raucous. The booing when things don't go well, such passionate fans.

Virtanen didn't look very good in this game. At times he looked lost and almost a step behind. I'd like to see him on a line with other players, instead of the Sedins.

Boeser's shot is incredible. It's in the net before the goalie has a chance to react, it seems.

I wish we could keep Vanek. Seems like a really good team guy, and still has great skills (shots, passing). Excellent player for his $2 million salary.

I wonder why Gaunce was thrown out there with 1.27 left in the game and Boeser was benched? The goalie was pulled and it would've been an easy hat trick for Brock. Maybe Green wanted Gaunce to get his 1st goal? Put him out there with an empty net, still couldn't score. Green loves Gaunce. On the chances Gaunce was close, Boeser would've buried those pucks.  

Nice to see the $6 million man get his first goal. He's on pace for 4 this year lol.

Hoping for another good effort in PIT tonight.

because gaunce doesn't give the puck away at the opposition blue line at a critical point in the game.  Green cares about wins, not about padding stats, Gaunce can be trusted to make smart plays that protect leads.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

because gaunce doesn't give the puck away at the opposition blue line at a critical point in the game.  Green cares about wins, not about padding stats, Gaunce can be trusted to make smart plays that protect leads.

Agreed. Gaunce is a big body that plays a mature game and looks reliable out there. 

I dont see any favouritism here.

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There was one play I recall though, where he was standing in front of the net, waiting for a pass, while the Sedins were battling in the corner for the puck. I thought "shouldn't Jake be in that corner battling for the puck? Why are the Sedins doing the grunt work?" It wasn't his best game, but that happens on occasion. I would just like to see him given a chance with faster line mates (Granlund and Gagner maybe?). Put Gaunce with the Sedins, maybe he'll finally get a goal.  

Maybe because the Sedins don't battle in front  much and prefer to work the perimeter?

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, those might be the two best plays he made all game. I agree he did look fast racing for the puck and had a chance with a backhander. There was one play I recall though, where he was standing in front of the net, waiting for a pass, while the Sedins were battling in the corner for the puck. I thought "shouldn't Jake be in that corner battling for the puck? Why are the Sedins doing the grunt work?" It wasn't his best game, but that happens on occasion. I would just like to see him given a chance with faster line mates (Granlund and Gagner maybe?). Put Gaunce with the Sedins, maybe he'll finally get a goal.  

That’s a really good point about his play in the o-zone while the Sedins are cycling and grinding. At one point Henrik threw it down from the half boards to behind the net for Virtanen, and virt made a weak backhand pass and gave the puck away. Frustrating after the Sedins spent so much time getting possession. I think virt is suffering because he is trying to keep his game simple, which is the opposite of how the Sedins play. Sometimes it works, sometimes wires get crossed

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Exactly my thoughts.

Most of his goals there show no one near him. Do we really think he will get that kind of space from Boston, Calgary, Jets, LA, Ducks etc. The kid is built like a jockey's whip. He will need to beef up.

Datsyuk was a small fella too.  He will get bigger, but he will always be smaller than the average players weight and muscle wise. 

It all depends on his line mates in the NHL and how much board work he is asked to do.  I could see a Kane - Petterson - Virtanen line being ridiculously good.  They can both skate with him, protect him, finish off his plays and create space for him.  If not Kane then maybe John Gajovich.  That would be a fun line to watch. 

Gaunce -2 (0 points in 5 games)

Boeser +1 (19 points in 18 games)

Boeser can't be trusted?

Green most likely put Gaunce and Eriksson out at the end of the game so they could finally score a goal this year. I think it had little to do with protecting a 2 goal lead with a minute and a half left. Eriksson got his, good for him. Green probably felt that Boeser had contributed enough and would like to see success from some of the players that are struggling to score. Gaunce continues to struggle in that area.  

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Gaunce is a modern day clone of Nick Bonino and Jason Megna.  He has the offensive skills of Megna.  The skating of Bonino.  He also camps the slot defensively like Bonino does allowing all the other forwards to do all the work to retrieve the puck. 

His feathered backhanded shot in the slot was awesome. 

9 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

That’s a really good point about his play in the o-zone while the Sedins are cycling and grinding. At one point Henrik threw it down from the half boards to behind the net for Virtanen, and virt made a weak backhand pass and gave the puck away. Frustrating after the Sedins spent so much time getting possession. I think virt is suffering because he is trying to keep his game simple, which is the opposite of how the Sedins play. Sometimes it works, sometimes wires get crossed

Jake is a young player.  The part of his game he lacks the most is playing half court offense.  Off the rush he is amazing with his wheels and shot.  He can't rely to only score that way his whole career.  Green is teaching him through the Sedins how to expand his game.  This will take at least a year.  That's fine, he will come out a more complete player.  Burrows and Hansen improved tremendously in that aspect after playing with the Sedins.

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Jake is a young player.  The part of his game he lacks the most is playing half court offense.  Off the rush he is amazing with his wheels and shot.  He can't rely to only score that way his whole career.  Green is teaching him through the Sedins how to expand his game.  This will take at least a year.  That's fine, he will come out a more complete player.  Burrows and Hansen improved tremendously in that aspect after playing with the Sedins.

You make a very good point. Jake with the Sedins, he's learning from two greats how to play the game smart, the right way. One day that'll pay off big time. I am a bit impatient, and wanted to see Jake take another step playing with faster players, but he would then continue to make poor mistakes, and possibly be a defensive liability. It will take time before Jake reaches that level where he can be trusted in all situations. Not every player can come in like Boeser and Horvat as kids and impress. He'll get there.

Great WIN!

Marky always allow one goal and then wake up. He was very strong in net afterwards.

All D, even Hutton and Edler, were solid last night.

Boser was amazing, Sven was efficiency, Bo was fast and with good chemistry with Sven.

Eriksson has much better after his return from injury. His points told the facts. Congrats to have a score, no matter it is and EN or not. Friends, don't blame him for the $6M contract which is not his fault. We should ask the GM what reasons behind he made such a contract.  Might be we would get a good answer.

Sedins looks great with Virtanen in their line. Mr. Green, please control their ice-time to make them fresh.

The PP improves a lot with Sedins turning efficiency, and Eriksson return

GO CANUCKS GO, WE WILL WIN TONIGHT IN THE BACK TO BACK GAME.

13 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Remember when boeser was a healthy scratch

Who knows if that had not have happened that you are now sitting here with a Brock Boeser sitting at 3 goals and 2 assists and a minus 9 or similar.   Those two games allowed him to take a breath after all the pressure from a great pre-season (where he played a lot) and the making the big squad just to watch the game and get mentally prepared for life under a new coach, system and expectations versus the free-ride he had to end last year.   Those two sat games could have been the best thing to happen to this year's Brock Boeser.

57 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Great WIN!

Marky always allow one goal and then wake up. He was very strong in net afterwards.

All D, even Hutton and Edler, were solid last night.

Boser was amazing, Sven was efficiency, Bo was fast and with good chemistry with Sven.

Eriksson has much better after his return from injury. His points told the facts. Congrats to have a score, no matter it is and EN or not. Friends, don't blame him for the $6M contract which is not his fault. We should ask the GM what reasons behind he made such a contract.  Might be we would get a good answer.

Sedins looks great with Virtanen in their line. Mr. Green, please control their ice-time to make them fresh.

The PP improves a lot with Sedins turning efficiency, and Eriksson return

GO CANUCKS GO, WE WILL WIN TONIGHT IN THE BACK TO BACK GAME.

Sure. I'm almost certain that Jim is just waiting to explain Eriksson's contract to curious fans.

I'll get his number for you.

51 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Who knows if that had not have happened that you are now sitting here with a Brock Boeser sitting at 3 goals and 2 assists and a minus 9 or similar.   Those two games allowed him to take a breath after all the pressure from a great pre-season (where he played a lot) and the making the big squad just to watch the game and get mentally prepared for life under a new coach, system and expectations versus the free-ride he had to end last year.   Those two sat games could have been the best thing to happen to this year's Brock Boeser.

Unpopular opinion incoming:

Reminds me of the griping people did when WD started Bo on the “fourth line” last year.  With all the issues this team has, maybe we shouldn’t complain about the things that turned out okay.

Alls well that ends well, right?

Archived