The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Gauce probably reminds Green of himself when he was younger.

I'm sure he can reach Gaunce quite a bit about being a role player in the NHL.

If Gaunce can keep it up I'm more than happy with him being an anchor on our bottom 6 

The team can't afford to lose its enforcers. Without Dorset or Gudy, there really is no one to keep players from taking liberties. Well I guess the officials could help...LOL. Perhaps Horvat can step up. He hasn't shown much physicality this year. Does Gaunce ever throw down?   

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pouliot played 25 minutes tonight.

Pouliot deserved that goal today, he's been playing well. Exceeding expectations, and if he continues to play like he'll be staying with us for a while. Edler looked better with him today.

6 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

The team can't afford to lose its enforcers. Without Dorset or Gudy, there really is no one to keep players from taking liberties. Well I guess the officials could help...LOL. Perhaps Horvat can step up. He hasn't shown much physicality this year. Does Gaunce ever throw down?   

It's all good bro. Teams goon us and we let Brock kill them on the pp. Shades of 2011!

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe if Gud is hurt people will realize how important he is. 

We will definitely miss his physical play, although Tanev and Stecher being close to coming back will alleviate Gud getting hurt minus the physical dimension. 

5 hours ago, Davathor said:

Boeser for Calder

Nilsson for starter 

5 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

The Sniper can't be stopped!

Nielson played great! 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Gaunce can keep it up I'm more than happy with him being an anchor on our bottom 6 

The first two posts above capture the two obvious headlines from tonight.

1. Two more goals from Boeser -- both the result of a great shot and a high hockey IQ to be in the right position at the right time and make the right play. And he had a very good game in general. He looked dangerous every time he was on the ice.

2. Nilsson had another excellent game. In fact, although the Canucks deserved the win tonight, Pittsburgh had a lot of good chances and with average goaltending the Canucks could have lost this game. I am putting this game in the "team with the better goalie wins" category. I am not sure what he has to do to earn the #1 spot. I guess just keep doing what he's doing. He certainly deserves more opportunities.

Here are some of the less obvious points that I found interesting.

3. Two guys who have taken a lot of flak (including from me) are Eriksson and Edler. They both had very good games tonight. So did Pouliot.

4. The Canucks came out very strong in the first period. Impressive for a team on the road in the second game of back-to-backs. They were tiring in the third period but hung on for the win.

5. As others have mentioned, Green likes Gaunce. He was playing shutdown with Sutter against Crosby and logged 18:21 in ice-time, second on the team among forwards after Sutter. Compare that with Virtanen's 8:58. And Gaunce did a good job in that shutdown role. I am wondering if he will ever get another NHL goal, but he made the unselfish play on Sutter's empty netter and did get an assist. Playing shutdown might be Gaunce's way to stay in the NHL.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Really gonna need Tanev back if Gudbranson is out now - hard to find those minutes, particularly with Stecher also out - right side completely depleted.

Depth this year has been excellent though, needless to say.

first time to dip into the AHL for a D call-up this season with 3 NHL D men getting hurt. The depth is amazing since our D keeps getting decimated every year. Good thing Benning saw that and got Del Zotto and traded for Pouliot otherwise we would be really hurting right now.

43 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Pouliot with 25:08 of ice time, 33% offensive zone starts, 45% corsi, goal, +2, 3 blocked shots, 2 hits, a takeaway...spent more time penalty killing than on the powerplay.

Looks like he can play defense.

Probably felt real good for Pouliot tonight, playing a key role against the team that gave up on him.

Well done young man. 

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

McQuaid(? - Bruins) is still laughing too. The Demerol is keeping the pain down nicely.

McQuaid still injured after blocking Boeser's shot. brocks and boesers might break your bones!

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

funny that you don't hear the 'analytics' folks going on about Boeser's underlying numbers.

they're not impressive.

but who cares?

That's funny. The made up stats geeks who live in their parents basement would try and talk circles around that to try and justify themselves but the bottom line is that these guys just don't know hockey.

Archived