The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm still thinking about our defence pairings when everyone is healthy. Pouliot isn't going out with his strong play, which means it will be either Del Zotto, Hutton or Gudbranson. I think we should keep Hutton in and see how he does with Tanev.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Del Zotto

35 minutes ago, sockeye said:

Another great game by the Canucks!  This was a total team effort and the Canucks have a wonderful problem to have - which goalie to put in for the next game?  They are both playing great.  We are very lucky to have a 23rd pick that has turned out as skilled as Boeser.  As a bonus, he seems like a real character guy – on and off the ice.

I was listening to the post game show on CISL 650 and I’m getting a little tired of hearing all the accolades about Pouliot.  I agree that the Pouliot and Del Zotto signings have been a definite upgrade on defence but I thought Pouliot only had an average game tonight.  But don’t get me wrong, his progression has gone real well.  He had a lucky goal with a deflection off of a Pens defenceman’s skate – that shot was going wide.  I’m happy for him but it was a lucky goal.  He made a terrible pass to Hutton – basically set him up to get his head almost taken off (Hutton lost his helmet).  Pouliot should have made the safe play and shot the puck off the glass and out (turn around and reverse the play).  Instead, he nonchalantly passes to Hutton who had a guy bearing down on him for a big hit.  I hope Baumer reviews that play with Pouliot.

I think Hutton and Sutter (two of CDC’s whipping boys) are playing solid.  Sutter is a good defensive forward, blocks shots, good on the PK and good on face-offs.  There are lots of 5 mill/yr forwards that don’t contribute as much as Sutter.  He’s a warrior and the type of player I really appreciate.  Another warrior fave of mine is going to be missed (Dorsett).  I think Loui is looking much better this year – even before he got hurt.  He is another player you can count on to play up and down the lineup and kill penalties.  I wish everybody would forget about the TOI stats and look at the play of the team. 

Another caller brought up an interesting point.  With the way Boeser is playing, he is going to attract a lot more physical play and we have no one in the lineup (i.e. Dorse and Guddy) to step in.  Maybe we need to bring up Darren Archibald – he had a solid pre-season.  While Gaunce has been looking much better this season, I kind of would like seeing Archie in the lineup for a few games.

i would like ke to see archie but more for his physicality then his enforcement. he was fun to watch in the pre season. he created a lot of chances for himself too. curious if that translates to mid season competition.

14 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

first time to dip into the AHL for a D call-up this season with 3 NHL D men getting hurt. The depth is amazing since our D keeps getting decimated every year. Good thing Benning saw that and got Del Zotto and traded for Pouliot otherwise we would be really hurting right now.

I'd like to see what Holm can do. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm still thinking about our defence pairings when everyone is healthy. Pouliot isn't going out with his strong play, which means it will be either Del Zotto, Hutton or Gudbranson. I think we should keep Hutton in and see how does with Tanev.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Del Zotto

Del Zotto as the 7th defenseman? In my opinion DZ has more than earned his spot in the top six, and Hutton hasn't. Frankly I'd be good if Edler is traded though, then everyone has a spot. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Del Zotto as the 7th defenseman? In my opinion DZ has more than earned his spot in the top six, and Hutton hasn't. Frankly I'd be good if Edler is traded though, then everyone has a spot. 

Yeah, we would be in a logjam - we even have Holm called up and haven't seen a glimpse of him. Hutton and Gudbranson's name have been floating around in the rumour mill, so I think it would be best for them to play if Jim Benning feels they will be moving away from those players as there have been scouts attending games lately.

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

funny that you don't hear the 'analytics' folks going on about Boeser's underlying numbers.

they're not impressive.

but who cares?

47% corsi with 60% o zone starts!! Bust!!!  Maybe JD Burke will grace us with a hot take on how Brock actually sucks considering how JD bravely crapped all over Dorsett for his hot start and 4% worse corsi than Boeser despite 70% dzone starts.

Just underscores the lack of context those corsi-gazers live by.  

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm still thinking about our defence pairings when everyone is healthy. Pouliot isn't going out with his strong play, which means it will be either Del Zotto, Hutton or Gudbranson. I think we should keep Hutton in and see how he does with Tanev.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Del Zotto

I hope the Jimporeum is open for business this trade deadline... special on depth defencemen.  

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

I must say, things are still early and I assume we will level off but you know who I am most happy for right now...

jim &^@#ing benning

dude has been mocked in the media and on here for 3 years now. Not by all but lots.......

good for him....

"Hey NHL -- this is just a first taste.  Wait 'till you see what else we got coming."

30 minutes ago, JamesB said:

The first two posts above capture the two obvious headlines from tonight.

1. Two more goals from Boeser -- both the result of a great shot and a high hockey IQ to be in the right position at the right time and make the right play. And he had a very good game in general. He looked dangerous every time he was on the ice.

2. Nilsson had another excellent game. In fact, although the Canucks deserved the win tonight, Pittsburgh had a lot of good chances and with average goaltending the Canucks could have lost this game. I am putting this game in the "team with the better goalies wins" category. I am not sure what he has to do the earn the #1 spot. I guess just keep doing what he's doing. He certainly deserves more opportunities.

Here are some of the less obvious points that I found interesting.

3. Two guys who have taken a lot of flak (including from me) are Eriksson and Edler. They both had very good games tonight. So did Pouliot.

4. The Canucks came out very strong in the first period. Impressive for a team on the road in the second game of back-to-backs. They were tiring in the third period but hung on for the win.

5. As others have mentioned, Green likes Gaunce. He was playing shutdown with Sutter against Crosby and logged 18:21 in ice-time, second the team among forwards after Sutter. Compare that with Virtanen's 8:58. And Gaunce did a good job in that shutdown role. I am wondering if he will ever get another NHL goal, but he made the unselfish play on Sutter's empty netter and did get an assist. Playing shutdown might be Gaunce's way to stay in the NHL.

Pertaining to Gaunce,  have patience Grasshopper,  remember these three words.  "No Hands Hansen"

Even better game against the Pens than against Philly.

This is a double championship team Canucks beat... who have a huge amount of pride and know how to dig deep.

Yet Van has beaten them twice.

The Canucks have everything they need right now... confidence and team unity.

What can you say about the B-Rocket?  He is on his way to becoming a star.

Even the Hockey Panel is picking him as the odds on favourite for the Calder.

He is single-handedly rejuvenating the Sedins... their old passing confidence is back... makes a huge amount of difference to them when they believe if they put the puck on Boeser's stick he'll either put the puck in the net or force the goalie to make a super save.

By the way, nice game by Gaunce... really classy move in passing to Sutter for the empty netter. 

And Edler had a great bounce-back game... and Eriksson had another excellent one.

All looking very good... except for Gudbranson... hoping nothing serious.  The one weak point of this team is defense and they can only take so many injuries before they start to break down.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Because most of them are only going to be turning 19-20.

Just because you're producing points in a different league, doesn't mean it's going to happen in the NHL.

And just because you're young doesn't mean you wont. Case in point- Brock Boeser.

Fact is that both Gaudette and Pettersson have much more complete games than Goldobin. Gaudette pretty much already has an NHL game and while Pettersson is still very light, his talent level may force the issue in training camp next year.

Incidentally, Gaudette is 21 years old and will be 22 by the time the season starts next year.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure what's so hilarious about letting in goals. Not something you wanna hear from your goalie...

If he had stopped Boesers two snipes on him (not that he could), it would have been a tie game. Glad he's able to laugh it off rather than take responsibility.

Both of Boeser's goals were unscreened and went in clean.  He looked right at them and was beaten straight-up pure and simple.

You done got REKT, son.  Again.

Archived