The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, ynwa said:

With whom would you compare in the past, or present for that matter the wrist shot release that BB has? It defies the laws of time and space. ::D

His wrist shot reminds me of Tarasenko and Kessel right now. Yes, Kessel can really rip the puck.

For past comparisons, he can really get the shot off quickly like Sakic did. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Think that's true. Also injured..think he's out another month(approx) with a broken cheekbone.

Unsure how this occurred..any Comet fans got info, by chance?

1 hour ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think Archie is eligible to play in a Canucks uniform. I am pretty sure he is contracted to Utica. 

Good catch people.  Now I remember reading that Archie had surgery on his cheek bone.  Also, he doesn't have an NHL contract so that would be much more difficult to bring him up.  They would have to sign him and they are limited to x number of NHL contracts (50?).

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

Because most of them are only going to be turning 19-20.

Just because you're producing points in a different league, doesn't mean it's going to happen in the NHL.

Just wanted to point out that 19-20 is when majority of players make.the.show in todays NHL. The OP is right in his assumptions based on the fact that the players he mentioned are all dominating the leaugues they are currently playing in. Of course they have to prove they are ready, but based on what they are doing in top leagues against men I think its very possible we see Goldy Petterson Dahlen Gaudette Demko Oj and maybe lind fight and earn spots next year. Its the same as if they would have put Brock in Utica. If they are ready next year then they should play. Imagime if we had to watch this team witj no Brock jjst because he is only 20. And like many have pointed out these guys are dominating the leagues they are playing in right now. Cheers

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Del Zotto as the 7th defenseman? In my opinion DZ has more than earned his spot in the top six, and Hutton hasn't. Frankly I'd be good if Edler is traded though, then everyone has a spot. 

del zotto has beena top four dman this yr hes not our 7 th  eating huge minutes edler is playing out the contract  may leave hutton odd man out 

Some quotes from the Penguins board. Yes, they are all on this game:

Pouliot having a decent season so far. You know, when he’s actually given more than a handful of NHL games at a time. So glad we got rid of him for nothing......

The Pens will show their heart in this period and make a dramatic comeback.

Don't worry bro. Regardless of the outcome, the Pens will still have more heart than the Canucks.

The Penguins will regret that Näslund trade.

Nick Bonino seems like the kind of player a team with no depth would acquire, I am glad the Pens have Brandon Sutter.

Having watched the whole game.

Gaunce - what a game yet again from him. Man, he was everywhere, putting in checks, hunting the puck carrier down, sliding subtle little passes off to team mates and generally working his ass off, 18.5 mins on ice, second highest of all forwards. The points surely must come.

In defence once more I have to give it to Edler, Hutton, Biega and Guddy (before he left the ice) These guys were immense, especially Hutton. That is 2 nights running they have been imo the defensive stars.

Am I the only one who can see what is not quite right with Pouliot. He makes some lovely plays, skates like a dream but his defensive awareness for me needs work. MDZ has to find a way to get more control of his game, I think his impulsiveness lets him down but he is such a hard worker I can forgive that on most nights. Still I would love to see Tanev replace Pouliot.

In attack, everyone did their bit, showed up and battled. It is the battling right through the roster that is getting these results because we have all seen what happens if only 2 or 3 of the team are off form - it tends to lead to a break down. We are a team that needs to operate as a high tempo unit to have any success imo.

Last word to Boeser and Nilsson. Outstanding strikes yet again by BB and an inspiring net minder performance kept us ahead when we needed it most.

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

del zotto has beena top four dman this yr hes not our 7 th  eating huge minutes edler is playing out the contract  may leave hutton odd man out 

It is blazingly obvious to me who should sit out when Tanev comes back - Pouliot, was and is the weak link in the D at present, despite putting up a goal against the Pens. Imo he makes too many errors, plays team mates into trouble, is soft and generally lacks defensive awareness.

This team need to learn how to play at home the same way they do on the road. Lights-out brilliant effort tonight but some holes for sure.

Boeser obviously is this team's MVP, we haven't had a pure sniper like him in a long time and he's exactly what these playmakers need, a finisher. Let's just hope he can stay healthy and stay consistent - the two big knocks on rookies.

Vanek is IMO this team's unsung hero, he's piling up points, does great work in front of the net when he's not earning points and has been setting guys up nicely all season long. Big body, great hockey IQ and he's turning into a bit of a leader for this team. You can thank Vanek for turning Eriksson's career around.

Eriksson has been brilliant since coming back from injury. Say what you want about 6M but I'd happily pay the man for what he's bringing now. Alright on the PK, pretty good on the PP, fantastic defensively in the last few minutes of games and now he's scoring at a 50-60 point pace again. The vets have new life this season, and he's been especially good on the road.

Pouliot with a well-deserved goal tonight, he's throwing the points in like we haven't seen from a D-man in a while and great to see him score a goal against his former team. Another unsung hero IMO, he does all the little things very well and rarely gets caught out of position or makes a stupid turnover.

Baertschi and Horvat are stepping away from the limelight but still putting up points which is good to see.

Sutter and Granlund have been so-so this season, yes good defensively but haven't put up as many goals and points as we expect from them.

The PP looked sharp tonight and having Boeser on the off-wing just gives us another weapon to use, nice to see.

The PK was abyssmal tonight but to be fair it went up against a very skilled powerplay.

Nilsson was brilliant of course, people say he's our starter but I think if he plays too much his quality will slip so I'd like to see a 40-40, if not 50-30 split in Nilsson's favour.

My take on the D core

Alex Edler is just bad.  Dude can be twice as close to a dumped puck, and still lose the race to a forechecker.  There’s some weird tentativeness in his game, and his foot speed seems to be slowing.  Finally looks to his left on the PP and whaddya know Alex? Goal!!?!  

Hutton is a very up and down player, but my biggest issue is that even when he’s on, he still doesn’t drive any offence.  For a D where puck moving and smooth skating Is supposed to be your hallmark, production should be a natural product.  Bartkowski v2.  

Pouliot has has made more mistakes over his last few games than he did over his first hand full, but he’s like our only Dman that drives offence.  Gets another point.  On pace for about 30, but I suspect that the more he develops at this level that his projection will creep into the 40ish range... something we have not seen for what seems like ages.  He’s ahead of Hutton, Gudbranson, Biega, soon to be Edler and possibly Stecher on my depth chart right now.  

MDZ just quietly eating huge minutes effectively.  He’s playing like a solid 2nd pairing Dman in my books... which is a compliment. 

Biega...  love his heart and effort... but generally ends up doing sweet F all, and am ready to see him in the press box.  Good job filling in and all, but he would do so much better if he could see more than the 2 ft box around himself when he has the puck. 

Gudbranson is okish I guess... but would only extend him to a 3.5 ish aav, and that’s just not going to getter done for his camp, so seeya.  

Hipe to see Holm get in the action at some point.  

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm still thinking about our defence pairings when everyone is healthy. Pouliot isn't going out with his strong play, which means it will be either Del Zotto, Hutton or Gudbranson. I think we should keep Hutton in and see how he does with Tanev.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Del Zotto

When do we ever have a fully healthy defence past game 20? Don’t think that this will be a problem for all but a few games for the remaining season.  

IMO Stecher could get some rehab games in Utica and JB will have to deal someone.  Guddy cannot go for much longer without new contract. Edler has under preformed over the past few years but would have some value and Hutton doesn’t knock Del Zotto out of the lineup.

So one d man is getting moved this season.  My hope is that it is Edler, and we re sign Guddy. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

It is blazingly obvious to me who should sit out when Tanev comes back - Pouliot, was and is the weak link in the D at present, despite putting up a goal against the Pens. Imo he makes too many errors, plays team mates into trouble, is soft and generally lacks defensive awareness.

If you think Puliot is weaker than Hutton right now you are out to lunch. He was a tire fire last night as far as I am concerned. 

6 hours ago, JoGuitar said:

Pittsburgh has a -19 Goal Differential, they might not even be a playoff team at this rate...

Time to trade them a top four D man for their first. JB needs to take advantage of a team that thinks it’s a contender but crashes. Edmonton comes to mind, same with Montreal and possibly Pits.  

Pits loves trading with us, they have these huge ups and downs.  Wasn’t Pouloit a top ten pick 3-4 years ago, same with Matta. They could be heading to the same placing this season and might role the dice to try for a repeat.  

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This team need to learn how to play at home the same way they do on the road. Lights-out brilliant effort tonight but some holes for sure.

Boeser obviously is this team's MVP, we haven't had a pure sniper like him in a long time and he's exactly what these playmakers need, a finisher. Let's just hope he can stay healthy and stay consistent - the two big knocks on rookies.

Vanek is IMO this team's unsung hero, he's piling up points, does great work in front of the net when he's not earning points and has been setting guys up nicely all season long. Big body, great hockey IQ and he's turning into a bit of a leader for this team. You can thank Vanek for turning Eriksson's career around.

Eriksson has been brilliant since coming back from injury. Say what you want about 6M but I'd happily pay the man for what he's bringing now. Alright on the PK, pretty good on the PP, fantastic defensively in the last few minutes of games and now he's scoring at a 50-60 point pace again. The vets have new life this season, and he's been especially good on the road.

Pouliot with a well-deserved goal tonight, he's throwing the points in like we haven't seen from a D-man in a while and great to see him score a goal against his former team. Another unsung hero IMO, he does all the little things very well and rarely gets caught out of position or makes a stupid turnover.

Baertschi and Horvat are stepping away from the limelight but still putting up points which is good to see.

Sutter and Granlund have been so-so this season, yes good defensively but haven't put up as many goals and points as we expect from them.

The PP looked sharp tonight and having Boeser on the off-wing just gives us another weapon to use, nice to see.

The PK was abyssmal tonight but to be fair it went up against a very skilled powerplay.

Nilsson was brilliant of course, people say he's our starter but I think if he plays too much his quality will slip so I'd like to see a 40-40, if not 50-30 split in Nilsson's favour.

Down under,

I always enjoy your post wrap ups. I largely agree, but wanted to point out that although Granlund and Sutter aren’t putting the points this year, they are taking some decent players off the score sheet. 

Would love to see them scoring more, it might be a chemistry thing or just their assignments.  The guy that has been underwhelming so far is Gagne.  That could be a perception or reality. Vanek is the driving force on that line.  IMO we have two lines working really well and two not really clicking. 

IMO it may be time to shake it up a bit by moving Granlund up with the twins and putting Virtannen with Sutter.  Granlund looked like a Hansen 2.0 last year with he twins and Jake might do better with a north South two way line for a bit. 

Vanek will be a hot ticket at the TDL.  Would love to see him pull and Keith Tkachuk for us and get traded for the playoffs and then re sign with us in the post season. I would not be upset at all if JB signed him to a 2-3 year deal and not trade him, I very impressed with his play.  

9 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Shorty gets his best material from CDC.

He grew up watching Sports Page like the rest of us. That was the best sports news cast ever and should be brought back, even as a YouTube channel. We need to have a Vancouver prespective again. Hate what Has happened with consolidation of the sports media to Toronto. 

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Vanek is quietly having a good season. 15 points in 22 games for a player making 2 mill on a one year contract with no trade restrictions. Hell, even Gagne is coming on a little bit. Del Zotto is eating minutes like a boss.

Oh, and let's not forget the Puliot trade.

That Nielsson signing is also looking badass. JB goes from worst GM in the league to best GM in the league in one off season. Not including his drafting.  

Archived