-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Rate this topic

ritchie

8 hours ago, sockeye said:

Another caller brought up an interesting point.  With the way Boeser is playing, he is going to attract a lot more physical play and we have no one in the lineup (i.e. Dorse and Guddy) to step in.  Maybe we need to bring up Darren Archibald – he had a solid pre-season.  While Gaunce has been looking much better this season, I kind of would like seeing Archie in the lineup for a few games.

unfortunately Archie is hurt.  Just had surgery on a facial fracture.  Out for a few more weeks at least 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Having watched the whole game.

Gaunce - what a game yet again from him. Man, he was everywhere, putting in checks, hunting the puck carrier down, sliding subtle little passes off to team mates and generally working his ass off, 18.5 mins on ice, second highest of all forwards. The points surely must come.

In defence once more I have to give it to Edler, Hutton, Biega and Guddy (before he left the ice) These guys were immense, especially Hutton. That is 2 nights running they have been imo the defensive stars.

Am I the only one who can see what is not quite right with Pouliot. He makes some lovely plays, skates like a dream but his defensive awareness for me needs work. MDZ has to find a way to get more control of his game, I think his impulsiveness lets him down but he is such a hard worker I can forgive that on most nights. Still I would love to see Tanev replace Pouliot.

In attack, everyone did their bit, showed up and battled. It is the battling right through the roster that is getting these results because we have all seen what happens if only 2 or 3 of the team are off form - it tends to lead to a break down. We are a team that needs to operate as a high tempo unit to have any success imo.

Last word to Boeser and Nilsson. Outstanding strikes yet again by BB and an inspiring net minder performance kept us ahead when we needed it most.

That's weird. I saw it a different way. Hutton made a couple really nice plays defensively but I also saw him running around in the D zone playing out of position and looking confused. I was thinking he lacks hockey IQ. 

I thought MDZ and Pouliot had good games. 

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Think that's true. Also injured..think he's out another month(approx) with a broken cheekbone.

Unsure how this occurred..any Comet fans got info, by chance?

during the game against the Charlotte Checkers Archie was on the rush down the right side and he got the most incredible check into the boards.   http://www.wktv.com/content/news/Early-goals-cost-Comets-in-5-2-loss-against-Checkers-456270573.html

Edited by hobart16
  • Hydration 1

10 hours ago, Stelar said:

I must say, things are still early and I assume we will level off but you know who I am most happy for right now...

jim &^@#ing benning

dude has been mocked in the media and on here for 3 years now. Not by all but lots.......

good for him....

+100... Thank you.

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So the PP's surging. Now up to #15OA...

1 TBay - 27.2%, then Dallas, Nash, Pitt

15-Van 19.8%, 15% at home; 25% on road

Who DOESN'T practice the PP? Don't know if he's changed, but wasn't Torts notorious for that?

Well, CBJ is #31 OA at 10%!

(just checked these updated stats)

5th in power play goals scored with 17.  Nashville/Tampa lead with 22.  

Canucks are 4th in the league at drawing penalties so it drops their efficiency when they don't convert.  

The issue is the short-handed goals.  Their powerplay has a differential of 12 because they allowed 5 short handed goals.  That was before the revamped units though.  The Sedins' unit gave up 4 and the 2nd unit 1 but it was on an empty net (Sharks game lost 5-0).

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Qwags said:

He's the guy who's going to watch Boeser claim the Calder at the NHL Awards.

False. First. Keller is female. Second. She is also blind and her name is Helen.

7 hours ago, 250Integra said:

His wrist shot reminds me of Tarasenko and Kessel right now. Yes, Kessel can really rip the puck.

For past comparisons, he can really get the shot off quickly like Sakic did. 

I think Kessel is the closest comparison to BB

I am so excited watching this team come together under Green..

Next year Pettersson 19, 6'2 leading swedish league in scoring and Gaudette should both be on the team.

Gaudette 6'1, 21 plays with aggressive style and talented, he will be better then Kesler..

The future is going to be very good, some very good young prospects in the system in all positions..

Go to (data base) morning report then scroll to team you choose highlight and you have all the teams stats in every league..

Follow Canuck prospects..

Canucks are so hard working and exciting to watch!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Last time they met, Matt Murray said that Boeser was just lucky and that the Penguins dominated. https://www.nhl.com/penguins/video/post-game-matt-murray-110417/t-277437428/c-54266603 I'm curious to hear what he has to say this time. 

WHAT A PUTZ!!!  so unclassy to say boeser was lucky.  I suppose beating him cleanly with two snipes was "lucky" too.  Idiot.  Wanted to punch him in his beady eyes watching that clip.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

It's all good bro. Teams goon us and we let Brock kill them on the pp. Shades of 2011!

I get your point although that approach only works well when your stars are not concussed or injured in some other way. Daniel's head injury from Keith's elbow is an example. There are many other examples where star players are taken-out.

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I don't think we can compare him to Mike Bossy yet...

Bossy is the greatest NHL goal scorer in history.... goals per game average at .762... and that includes Gretzky.

He would likely have been up there as 1 or 2 all-time in total goals if he had not had his career ended prematurely by an injury.  He only had one season when he didn't score 50 goals or more.  He was only in the league for 10 seasons, had 573 goals... including five 60 goal seasons, tied with Gretzky.

Boeser will be a star, but to put him up with Bossy right now might be premature...  if he scores 50 goals in his first season, then start making that comparison.  B)

Goalies back then were easy to score on. They covered very little net and did not do the splits very well. Just look at some of Gretzky's goals. Those shots wouldn't work today. Despite the need to adjust for the new game, I agree it's way to early to pigeon hole this kid or create huge expectations. His name will start preceding his games and he will face shutdown shadows like Dorset with no one on his line to deter liberties. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Down under,

I always enjoy your post wrap ups. I largely agree, but wanted to point out that although Granlund and Sutter aren’t putting the points this year, they are taking some decent players off the score sheet. 

Would love to see them scoring more, it might be a chemistry thing or just their assignments.  The guy that has been underwhelming so far is Gagne.  That could be a perception or reality. Vanek is the driving force on that line.  IMO we have two lines working really well and two not really clicking. 

IMO it may be time to shake it up a bit by moving Granlund up with the twins and putting Virtannen with Sutter.  Granlund looked like a Hansen 2.0 last year with he twins and Jake might do better with a north South two way line for a bit. 

Vanek will be a hot ticket at the TDL.  Would love to see him pull and Keith Tkachuk for us and get traded for the playoffs and then re sign with us in the post season. I would not be upset at all if JB signed him to a 2-3 year deal and not trade him, I very impressed with his play.  

Yes yes for sure would be good, but,Jim Locked  Gagner down for three X three. I really wish he gave gags only a year or two.

I like the resign option especially if we lose out on E Kane sweepstakes.

Just now, bobbyg43 said:

Yes yes for sure would be good, but,Jim Locked  Gagner down for three X three. I really wish he gave gags only a year or two.

I like the resign option especially if we lose out on E Kane sweepstakes.

If Kane goes to FA, Vancouver's chances are quite good.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

What a "hilarious" game.

146935914.0.jpg

Look at this mulleted twerp.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Kane goes to FA, Vancouver's chances are quite good.

Do you think there's a chance if Sedins don't re sign, Vancouver goes hard after Tavares?