The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor McDavid has lost 5-10 lbs due to illness

I'm kind of surprised they didn't take him out of the lineup for some games:

Edmonton Oilers captain has been battling illness over the past two weeks and, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, he lost at least five pounds as a result.

While McDavid did not miss a game due to the illness (and the 20-year-old managed to score three goals and tally nine points over his last five games), but Dreger reports the sickness did take a toll.

"I don't know how much this story has been played up locally, but he was real sick," Dreger told Edmonton's TSN Radio 1260 on Thursday. "In fact, probably shouldn't have been in the lineup, but the kid's a gamer, right? And probably realizes that if he's not in the lineup then their chances of winning are weakened that much more.

"My understanding is he lost between five and 10 pounds which on that frame is a considerable amount."

McDavid, 20, is listed at 192 lbs by the league's official website. Oilers head coach Todd McLellan confirmed Tuesday that McDavid had been under the weather for a while.

“He’s been sick for a week to 10 days now," he explained. "He’s starting to feel better, but we’ll monitor his practice time."

McDavid played a season-low 16:05 of ice time in the Oilers' blowout loss to the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday. He played 18:18 and tallied two assists Thursday against the Detroit Red Wings.

McDavid has 10 goals and 28 points in 22 games this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-has-lost-5-10-lbs-due-to-illness-1.924075

I am sure 33% of the league goes through the same thing every year.  Perhaps they should keep their mouthguards in their mouths and not touch it with their stank and dirty gloves after every shift, especially after scrums.

40 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I love McDavid, he is a stud and the best player in our game (except when he plays the Canucks), but this sounds like an excuse to take some of the pressure off. Not a good look imo

Didn't he put up 9 points in his last 5 games?

What pressure does he need taken off? He's producing either way.

23 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I knew there had to be a good reason why the oilers aren't playing very good ,thanks for the scoop darrren dreger,  I wonder how many injuries austin matthews has been playing with.?

Damien Cox reports that he's been playing with a severe concussion and two broken femurs.

Ummm Illness? 

Do you mean Brockitis?

Brockitis is an inflammation of the lining of your sense of fear tubes, caused by watching Brock Boeser as an opposition. This menace carry's pucks on the ice and from your lungs... he then mercilessly blasts them into oppositions nets. People who have brockitis often cough up thickened mucus, which can be discolored. This a direct cause of witnessing the sheer dominance displayed by The Ayatollah of Brock 'N Rolla. Brockitis may be either acute or chronic. Brockitis will cause most victims severe illness and weight loss ranging from 5-30 LBS. 

There is some pressure on him to be the guy to contribute each night, but at this point, I think he is feeling frustrated of carrying the team each night. Just by looking at the Oilers stats, there is 11-point differential between 1st-ranked McDavid (28) and 2nd-ranked Nugent-Hopkins & Draisaitl (17) in total points. He certainly isn't getting much support and it's showing why they have struggled this season.

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There is some pressure on him to be the guy to contribute each night, but at this point, I think he is feeling frustrated of carrying the team each night. Just by looking at the Oilers stats, there is 11-point differential between 1st-ranked McDavid (28) and 2nd-ranked Nugent-Hopkins & Draisaitl (17) in total points. He certainly isn't getting much support and it's showing why they have struggled this season.

they are going to have to throw a big payout to Buffalo sooner than later imo. E Kane is the guy they need to create two scoring lines. 

Archived