The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Bennett (Discussion)

KKnight

Its becoming more clear Bennett is falling out of favour in Calgary and we allll know how weve done with Rekindling ex-flames :)

He plays a very in your face style and you definitely can see the ability to become a very serviceable two way player. If he becomes available, we HAVE to be involved. 

Whats your evaluation of Bennett's value at the moment? and opinions of him as a player?

I had honestly been thinking this too actually, but his value is so low atm, Calgary won't dare parting with him unless they get maximum value if he were to be at his peak.

Like Bo Horvat, once touted as a solid two way centre in junior, but that defensive acumen in his game hasn't translated as well as many would have thought coming from juniors.  I also don't think IMO he is a very good centre because defensively he doesn't make the necessary reads, kind of the same area Bo sometimes struggles in. Sometimes his positioning isn't great defensively despite having above average skating ability.  Particularly as a centre, from articles, he doesn't play well away from the puck, which at times makes him better at the wing then centre.  Which will scare teams off from giving much for him.  Plus just overall just too inconsistent in all facets of his game.

Still so young at 21 years old, its hard to believe that 18 year old Sam Bennett is as good as he will get, and being a former 5th overall pick, I'm sure Calgary will want full value for him.    We would have to overpay to get him, and IMO he is not worth anything more than maybe a 2nd round pick.  But Calgary is in a competing type mode so I doubt they would want a pick or prospect for him.  They would want an immediate impact piece in return.

Hard to see Calgary giving up on him yet, kind of like Jake Virtanen situation for us too. 

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I had honestly been thinking this too actually, but his value is so low atm, Calgary won't dare parting with him unless they get maximum value if he were to be at his peak.

Like Bo Horvat, once touted as a solid two way centre in junior, but that defensive acumen in his game hasn't translated as well as many would have thought coming from juniors.  I also don't think IMO he is a very good centre because defensively he doesn't make the necessary reads, kind of the same area Bo sometimes struggles in. Sometimes his positioning isn't great defensively despite having above average skating ability.  Particularly as a centre, from articles, he doesn't play well away from the puck, which at times makes him better at the wing then centre.  Which will scare teams off from giving much for him.  Plus just overall just too inconsistent in all facets of his game.

Still so young at 21 years old, its hard to believe that 18 year old Sam Bennett is as good as he will get, and being a former 5th overall pick, I'm sure Calgary will want full value for him.    We would have to overpay to get him, and IMO he is not worth anything more than maybe a 2nd round pick.  But Calgary is in a competing type mode so I doubt they would want a pick or prospect for him.  They would want an immediate impact piece in return.

Hard to see Calgary giving up on him yet, kind of like Jake Virtanen situation for us too. 

They just signed him to a two year deal too.  There is no need to trade him.  Plus, I really don't think we want him.  He's small, and weak.  He's not fast or shifty.  He needs to play a pest type game, but appears too weak to play that way.  Jake is WAY more effective, and has more value.  I'd trade someone like Goldy, but nothing more.

Goldobin + pick or Gaunce? might be too much. 

or Gaunce + Burmy + pick. I think thats fair for his recent play in Calgary. 

i mean i love goldobin, but our team is going to have skill coming in to the lineup. With players like Dahlen,Elias, Gaudette,Lind etc 

I really think Bennett could bring some speed, tenacious forechecking, grit and skill (tbd) to our bottom 6. Wouldnt be relied on for much other than strong two way hockey, so patience could pay off for us. 

55 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Bennett for a 4th rounder. His value is super low.

It's not that low.

Posters were saying the same thing about Baer when JB coughed up a second for him- "Worth a 4th at best".

Baer and Granny are probably serving as a reminder to not give up on your prospects too soon.

10 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Goldobin + pick or Gaunce? might be too much. 

or Gaunce + Burmy + pick. I think thats fair for his recent play in Calgary. 

i mean i love goldobin, but our team is going to have skill coming in to the lineup. With players like Dahlen,Elias, Gaudette,Lind etc 

I really think Bennett could bring some speed, tenacious forechecking, grit and skill (tbd) to our bottom 6. Wouldnt be relied on for much other than strong two way hockey, so patience could pay off for us. 

You and @Alflives are crazy to give Goldy in that trade. 

A rebuilding team shouldn't be doing the prospect swap game. It's either for picks or vets.

How about we give them Nilsson and a 5th for Bennett and a 3rd.

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

You and @Alflives are crazy to give Goldy in that trade. 

A rebuilding team shouldn't be doing the prospect swap game. It's either for picks or vets.

How about we give them Nilsson and a 5th for Bennett and a 3rd.

this is all for discussion sake. Id be more inclined to include a Gaunce, Burmy or pick, than a Goldobin, im just implying we have some players with serious skill waiting in the wings. But, we dont have a lot of players that play with serious edge to their game and have potential to pot some goals. 

2 minutes ago, KKnight said:

this is all for discussion sake. Id be more inclined to include a Gaunce, Burmy or pick, than a Goldobin, im just implying we have some players with serious skill waiting in the wings. But, we dont have a lot of players that play with serious edge to their game and have potential to pot some goals. 

I think they're trying to balance out Goldy's game in Utica, he's showing progress with his 200ft play and has been putting up great numbers while improving on the defensive aspect of the game.

You're right though, lots of skill coming down the pipe but not much muscle besides Gadjovic. Thing is, if you develop a guy like Goldy into a responsible "skill" guy, you trade him for meat n taters, and a prospect +/ pick down the road. 

Archived