The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Button's projected WJHC Team Canada roster

Ossi Vaananen

We're still a month out, but I find it troubling how Gadjovich/Lind aren't projected on his roster. He has Dipietro among the three goalies, but neither of our recent 2nd rounders.

Here's the roster:

DPW3wU7WkAAczv2.jpg

Who would you bump? It's hard to say, though I like Gadjovich in a bottom six role ahead of Phillips. Lind is pretty versatile, maybe his ability to play three positions gives him an edge as an extra forward. 

I'll say on his list there's some good names on there but much like team Canada is missing players more deserving based on their current play.

I will say though that his list will probably be more fair than the actual team Canada roster which will again lean heavily on former draftees having sub par years vs kids killing it as gas been the case for 7 or 8 years or more 

The way I see it, Gadjovich and Lind at least made the summer team. When you are talking about the all of the Canadians in the entire CHL (and even more than that really), it's not exactly an easy feat to get onto the team.

I'd love to be bias and call mutiny for Button not having Gadjovich and Lind on the team, but this is Team Canada afterall. At least DiPietro's on there. :)

I highly respect Buttons analysis as I feel like he's real good at these kinds of things and most often than not he's pretty precise with his predictions.

Although I'd expect to see Lind on the team, Dube the odd man out, and Phillips as the extra man. Dube's been good but Lind's leading his team in points and has 6 more points than Dube albeit playing on the same team. And with Thomas, Suzuki, Phillips, and Steenberger who've all had a far more impact on their respective clubs, Dube's kind of redundant. 

Gadjovich is going to have to battle with Brett Howden, Katchouk, and Kaspick for that 3rd/4th line LW spot. 

Gadjovich reminds me of Phil Espisito...with the way he can stand in there with all hell breaking out all around him....find the puck...get to it first..... and deposit it where it needs to go...either in the net or to an open teammate ...Espo was the first to score 76 goals in one season and is maybe one of the only players from that era (along with Orr and Howe) who could have been plunked on to team today and still get as many goals or points.

With today's training and diet any player from that era,just ripped out of it and plunked on to a team today would be behind the 8 ball and most of the other balls too....

Team Canada doesn't need and Espo.....?

Lind can play both wings and besides having a good helping of smarts, he has good vision and hands to go along with it.

If he can just settle down a hair on O. he may find he has more time to make plays...he tends to rush the pass or over reach his reciever.  

On D. he can be a puck hound if he wants to be...I think he just needs the coach to keep on him to do that...sort of reminds me of Burrows when he is doing that.

As much as I would love to see Lind and Gadjovich on the roster, I think that they will be left off of the final roster.  DiPietro will be there and get a couple of exhibition and prelim games, but Hart will likely be their guys when it starts to count.  Team Swededn will be the one that Canuck's fans will need to keep and eye on.

If you a fan of a kid not on this list, realize getting passed over is an amazing motivator.  Many players used their snubbing to springboard their second half of their last junior year into stellar NHL starts such as Eric Staal, RHN, Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy and Tyler Seguin to just pick a few from tons of names.  

On 11/25/2017 at 1:48 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

If you a fan of a kid not on this list, realize getting passed over is an amazing motivator.  Many players used their snubbing to springboard their second half of their last junior year into stellar NHL starts such as Eric Staal, RHN, Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy and Tyler Seguin to just pick a few from tons of names.  

Plus, the choices for the WJHC roster aren't always logical anyway. Like with most sporting things, there's just as much politics involved as actual skill assessment.

A Canucks player potentially getting left out doesn't actually say much about their ability. 

19 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Plus, the choices for the WJHC roster aren't always logical anyway. Like with most sporting things, there's just as much politics involved as actual skill assessment.

A Canucks player potentially getting left out doesn't actually say much about their ability. 

Out GM'd again!

• 2 weeks later...

3 canucks prospects on the roster!

Cal Foote as well (come on JB find a way to get him)

But...Cale Makar as well. 

I was pretty sure I was told he wouldn't go top 5 and his likelihood of beimg a solid NHL player wasn't good based on the league he played in.  Will be watching him closely

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Well the whole hockey world will get a chance to see whether Cale Makar can actually defend against higher hockey competition with the best around the world in his age group.

IMO team Canada goes places if that Defense can play cohesively.

I watched Fabbro for 2 years here in penticton and saw Makar semi frequently be the best player on the ice in any situation or format he was put in.  I am REALLY excited to watch them play together

Archived