The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Button's projected WJHC Team Canada roster

Ossi Vaananen

Alright so I had an eventful day. I missed the morning session as I didn't feel I was prepped enough for my exam. I killed my exam at 2 and bused over to the Meridian Centre for the 430 practice. I met Mark Masters and Bob McKenzie (who was really awesome, when I was leaving he remembered my name and said see you tomorrow to meB)) and sat down an watched the practice. The goalies came out first and went through some drills. Point imo was the clear #4 in practice and was constantly beat low blocker and was susceptible to the weak goal. Hart was good, very calm in the net and looked like the #1. DiPietro was good too, one thing that separated him from the pack imo was his ability to almost know where the shooter was shooting, and thus made some very tough saves for a goalkeeper his size look easy. I was really surprised with Harvey too, he was a lot better than what I was expecting. On to the defense. My favorites were Mario Ferraro (very Chris Tanev like in the way he approaches the game) and Kale Clague (very impressive puck mover, and reads the play really well). The rest of the defense was about the same, everyone made some very nice plays and made some mistakes. Makar and Bean seemed the most dynamic (Makar seems like he plays with fire on every play, almost PK Subban like, Very flashy). I liked Timmins game too, very steady and always seemed to make the right play. Foote and Stanley were the 2 that kinda stood out as being out of place. IDK if it was because of all the speed on the back end, but they seemed slow. Stanley did make a nice play on 3-2's with his stick though. Up front I LOVED Drake Batherson. Good offensive instincts, and can rip the puck. Same can be said for Steenbergen, he finds the soft spots and can pick corners. I thought Boris Katchouk looked good too, especially in the defensive zone. Real good along the boards and picked off more than a couple passes during PK drills. I liked Robert Thomas' game too. Very reminiscent of Bo Horvat at the same age. Comtois, Glass, and Steel all showed some good flashes as well. Ang and Kaspick will be the first 2 cut IMO. Didn't impress and play seemed to die on their sticks. As for our 2 guys, I would say Lind was the more noticeable of the two. He scored a nice 1 timer on the PP (with a Screen from Jonah) and seemed like one of the more creative players on the ice. Jonah was fine. Pretty good in the defensive zone, and around the net. He did get chewed out by Ducharme after he let Suzuki beat him in the corner when he had the better angle to chip it off the boards but chose to skate it out. Responded well though after that. He cross checked Suzuki into the ice on the next rep and played the puck out of the zone on his knees. On a personal level, I saw a girl from my program at the practice TAKING NOTES of what was going on the ice. She literally became like ten times hotter. I asked her out to the game tomorrow.

16 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Alright so I had an eventful day. I missed the morning session as I didn't feel I was prepped enough for my exam. I killed my exam at 2 and bused over to the Meridian Centre for the 430 practice. I met Mark Masters and Bob McKenzie (who was really awesome, when I was leaving he remembered my name and said see you tomorrow to meB)) and sat down an watched the practice. The goalies came out first and went through some drills. Point imo was the clear #4 in practice and was constantly beat low blocker and was susceptible to the weak goal. Hart was good, very calm in the net and looked like the #1. DiPietro was good too, one thing that separated him from the pack imo was his ability to almost know where the shooter was shooting, and thus made some very tough saves for a goalkeeper his size look easy. I was really surprised with Harvey too, he was a lot better than what I was expecting. On to the defense. My favorites were Mario Ferraro (very Chris Tanev like in the way he approaches the game) and Kale Clague (very impressive puck mover, and reads the play really well). The rest of the defense was about the same, everyone made some very nice plays and made some mistakes. Makar and Bean seemed the most dynamic (Makar seems like he plays with fire on every play, almost PK Subban like, Very flashy). I liked Timmins game too, very steady and always seemed to make the right play. Foote and Stanley were the 2 that kinda stood out as being out of place. IDK if it was because of all the speed on the back end, but they seemed slow. Stanley did make a nice play on 3-2's with his stick though. Up front I LOVED Drake Batherson. Good offensive instincts, and can rip the puck. Same can be said for Steenbergen, he finds the soft spots and can pick corners. I thought Boris Katchouk looked good too, especially in the defensive zone. Real good along the boards and picked off more than a couple passes during PK drills. I liked Robert Thomas' game too. Very reminiscent of Bo Horvat at the same age. Comtois, Glass, and Steel all showed some good flashes as well. Ang and Kaspick will be the first 2 cut IMO. Didn't impress and play seemed to die on their sticks. As for our 2 guys, I would say Lind was the more noticeable of the two. He scored a nice 1 timer on the PP (with a Screen from Jonah) and seemed like one of the more creative players on the ice. Jonah was fine. Pretty good in the defensive zone, and around the net. He did get chewed out by Ducharme after he let Suzuki beat him in the corner when he had the better angle to chip it off the boards but chose to skate it out. Responded well though after that. He cross checked Suzuki into the ice on the next rep and played the puck out of the zone on his knees. On a personal level, I saw a girl from my program at the practice TAKING NOTES of what was going on the ice. She literally became like ten times hotter. I asked her out to the game tomorrow.

I gave a thanks, a beer, a like & an up vote to this.  

No better post on CDC than honest enthusiasm. And information from someone taking the trouble to go to these things live. :towel:

And good luck tomorrow. If u get spanked in the handicap bathroom while the game is going on > Marry her!!!  :towel::towel:

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Welp, I don't think I'm shocked by hearing this.

Neither am I, I think there is just way too many guys ahead of him, and he didn't do much in the past 2 games against the Canadian University team.

Just as well.  I think it will serve him better to just rest and continue his development in Kelowna...might even light a deeper fire under him to be better and prove to others he is better than what people (outside media) perceive him to be.

Holding our breath now though for Gadj and Dipietro.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Yeah. At least players like Seguin have been cut in the past too.

Yep. I read a tweet from Bob McKenzie from earlier today where he mentioned about Dan Cleary being cut three times by the National Junior Team and then went on to play almost 1,000 games in the NHL. As much as I would have liked to see Kole Lind represent Team Canada, I hope he becomes a great player for us in the future. There was a tweet from Mark Masters where he said Lind was fighting back tears calling it "heartbreaking" when it was announced that he was cut. As mentioned by @CRAZY_4_NAZZY, it will light a fire in the belly for sure.

I've never been a massive Kole Lind fan until I saw him play live. He is heads and tales a better hockey player than Kaspick, Suzuki (yes I said it), and Comtois, and I am pretty confident in saying that he will have a better NHL career than a lot of players on this roster. We got a good one in thim, Douche doesn't see that apparently.  

3 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I've never been a massive Kole Lind fan until I saw him play live. He is heads and tales a better hockey player than Kaspick, Suzuki (yes I said it), and Comtois, and I am pretty confident in saying that he will have a better NHL career than a lot of players on this roster. We got a good one in thim, Douche doesn't see that apparently.  

Maybe if you would see Kaspick, Suzuki, Comtois live, you would change your mind too, just like you did with Lind.  I mean, coaches, scouts and execs have been scouting these players since last year, I'm pretty sure there judgement is better than yours.  Can they make a mistake absolutely, I still trust them more.

Also, they don't pick the players based on who will make the better NHL players, they pick the player who is the better player for the team right now.    Hopefully for us,  Lind will join the likes of Cleary, Hall, Seguin, Duchene who failed to make Team Canada, while they still won Gold, and had greater NHL career than most. 

26 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Maybe if you would see Kaspick, Suzuki, Comtois live, you would change your mind too, just like you did with Lind.  I mean, coaches, scouts and execs have been scouting these players since last year, I'm pretty sure there judgement is better than yours.  Can they make a mistake absolutely, I still trust them more.

Also, they don't pick the players based on who will make the better NHL players, they pick the player who is the better player for the team right now.    Hopefully for us,  Lind will join the likes of Cleary, Hall, Seguin, Duchene who failed to make Team Canada, while they still won Gold, and had greater NHL career than most. 

I did see all those guys play. I went to 3 of the practices and a game.

Archived