The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017/18 WJHC Thread

RRypien37

7 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

People keep thumbing me down but they left notable names off. The same people who thumbed me down when I said the Canucks would fall in the crapper after losing Bo?

It's not a big deal but I just don't like those kinds of posts. When you say make a simple statement like that without any explanation, it looks like you're hoping to be right so you can go back and say you were right, as if that's more important than Canada winning. Obviously I don't know your actual intentions but I know some people on here would do that.

1 hour ago, Time Lord said:

It's not a big deal but I just don't like those kinds of posts. When you say make a simple statement like that without any explanation, it looks like you're hoping to be right so you can go back and say you were right, as if that's more important than Canada winning. Obviously I don't know your actual intentions but I know some people on here would do that.

That's not rly why. People just don't like it when you disagree with them about as something passionate as this

I think Canada and the US will both be in trouble this year.

Canada's forwards are seriously lacking in firepower, though their defense is solid even if Fabbro doesn't get healthy in time.

The United States have a great top line with Yamamoto, Brown and Mittelstadt, and the rest of their forward group is solid too though lacking elite talent. Adam Fox is a great number one d-man but the rest of the defense looks kind of thin.

Sweden has possibly the two best forwards at the tournament in Pettersson and Andersson, plus Boqvist, Jonsson Fjalby and others up front. Dahlin, Liljegren and Brannstrom on defense is ridiculously unfair.

Finland has an insane defense with Juolevi, Heiskanen, Valimaki, Jokiharju, Vaakanainen, Salo and Rasanen. Plus guys like Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Heponiemi, Ikonen, Rasanen and Kupari up front.

The Czech's have some great forwards in Chytil, Necas, Zadina and Safin, but their defense isn't great.

I never know what to think or say about Russia

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎17 at 3:42 AM, Odd. said:

Still cant believe Suzuki was left off. 

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎17 at 3:52 AM, RRypien37 said:

I can't believe Tippett didn't even an INVITE to camp. 

When we looked back at the 2017, most agreed that it was a weaker draft, with no generational talent in the top 5.   It was also a draft which was difficult to predict the top 10 because of the lack of prospect standing out from the group.  

WJC is also a 19 years old tournament, unless your McDavid, Laine, Matthews, therefore these cut by 1st rounder such as Suzuki and Tippett is the results of a weaker 2017 class.  I don't think it means these guys won't be better NHLers than most of the current Team Canada, but only, that they are still raw prospect, not fully develop to overthrow the class of 19 years old before them.

I believe this team could be compared to the 2007 edition, the one with Carey Price, Bourdon, Letang, Staal, Alzner and Toews with his shootout magic.  Many time during the tournament, especially against the US in the semi-final, the team was outmatch, but with a strong defense and great goaltending, Canada weather the storm and was able to win with opportunistic scoring.

I think this year the team will have to do the same.  It will come down to whether Hart can match Price's performance and hopefully someone standing out if the medal games goes to a shootout.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

When we looked back at the 2017, most agreed that it was a weaker draft, with no generational talent in the top 5.   It was also a draft which was difficult to predict the top 10 because of the lack of prospect standing out from the group.  

WJC is also a 19 years old tournament, unless your McDavid, Laine, Matthews, therefore these cut by 1st rounder such as Suzuki and Tippett is the results of a weaker 2017 class.  I don't think it means these guys won't be better NHLers than most of the current Team Canada, but only, that they are still raw prospect, not fully develop to overthrow the class of 19 years old before them.

Tippett wasn't cut. He wasn't invited to the selection camp to begin with. He was also one of the few players eligible with actual NHL experience (7 games at the start of the season before being sent down by the Panthers). 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No Dahlin or Pettersson in the lineup for today’s pre-tourney game and Sweden still destroys Denmark 13-1 (and apparently the one goal against was an own goal).

That's odd, Denmark was an okay team last year and still has some of last year's talent. Hopefully they show up in the actual tournament.

1 hour ago, TonyStrecher said:

It's nothing to do with how bad Denmark is (they aren't great), it's to do with how good Sweden is

Pretty much. Even last year, when Denmark had a great tournament through the group stage, beat the Finns (3-2) and the Czechs (3-2 OT), and only narrowly lost to the Swiss (5-4 SO), they still fell 6-1 to the Swedes.

Sweden looks even stronger this year, so a pre-tourney drubbing isn’t altogether surprising.

Plus Denmark probably overachieved a bit last year.

Still, as a Dane, it hurts a little to see my team smacked around by the Swedes.

But at least it’s just hockey and not an important sport like handball. ;) 

16 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty much. Even last year, when Denmark had a great tournament through the group stage, beat the Finns (3-2) and the Czechs (3-2 OT), and only narrowly lost to the Swiss (5-4 SO), they still fell 6-1 to the Swedes.

Sweden looks even stronger this year, so a pre-tourney drubbing isn’t altogether surprising.

Plus Denmark probably overachieved a bit last year.

Still, as a Dane, it hurts a little to see my team smacked around by the Swedes.

But at least it’s just hockey and not an important sport like handball. ;) 

And the Swede's were without Pettersson and Dahlin, but still I think you won't feel so bad once Sweden continues dominating other teams at the tournament

Wanted to post this here because of the closer look we'll get at the 2018 prospects,

But if Dahlin and Boqvist are off the board by the time we pick, I think it would be wise to go for a BIG, SKILLED winger to balance our lines (a la WinnipegJets w/ Laine, Wheeler). Svechnikov is who I'll use as a placeholder but it could easily be Zadina as well.

IMO we could create matchup problems for teams who would have to deal with Pettersson-Boeser and Horvat-Svechnikov. Those two dangerous combos would be worth more to me than what a small guy like Quinn Hughes could bring to the table.

But the world juniors could change this for me, maybe Hughes or someone else shines.

Archived