The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017/18 WJHC Thread

RRypien37

8 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Wanted to post this here because of the closer look we'll get at the 2018 prospects,

But if Dahlin and Boqvist are off the board by the time we pick, I think it would be wise to go for a BIG, SKILLED winger to balance our lines (a la WinnipegJets w/ Laine, Wheeler). Svechnikov is who I'll use as a placeholder but it could easily be Zadina as well.

IMO we could create matchup problems for teams who would have to deal with Pettersson-Boeser and Horvat-Svechnikov. Those two dangerous combos would be worth more to me than what a small guy like Quinn Hughes could bring to the table.

But the world juniors could change this for me, maybe Hughes or someone else shines.

Your 2016 draft wish list, PLD, Clague & Girard would look good right now!

2 minutes ago, TonyStrecher said:

US leading Belarus 10-0 after two periods. William Lockwood has left the game with an injury (appeared to be on his arm or hand)

The way he grabs for his shoulder makes me think it's a collar bone injury or separated shoulder.

Didn't look good at all.

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

2 point night for him. Not bad considering his line hasn't shown a whole lot of chemistry.

Looks like Raddysh is going to be the star of this team.

Actually, I'm starting to think Robert Thomas is going to be the star for team Canada.  He led tonight with 4 points, good in the draws, created most of the offensive chances, and responsible in his own zone.  He literally looks like Bo Horvat...seriously

Thomas was the reason the Raddysh and the rest of team Canada was dialed in tonight.

bo_horvat_london_knights_1.jpg

Robert-Thomas-e1509547591567.jpg

robert-thomas-2018-36.jpgbo-horvat-2018-39.jpg

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Anyone have a link confirming the balance of rosters besides Canada?

TSN was pro Canada, Google & Wilkepedia pretty incomplete (some teams 5 or 6 players confirmed only).

Sweden: http://www.swehockey.se/globalassets/svenska-ishockeyforbundet/landslag/herr/team-20/2018-iihf-world-junior-championship/roster_swe_wjc_2018.pdf

USA: https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0141/7414/121917_2018_WJC_Prel_Roster__Alphabetical.pdf

Switzerland - 18 Dec: 

Torhüter (3): Matteo Ritz (Lausanne HC), Akira Schmid (SCL Tigers), Philip Wüthrich (SC Bern).

Verteidiger (9): Davyd Barandun (HC Davos), Tim Berni (GCK/ZSC Lions), Dominik Egli (EHC Kloten), Tobias Geisser (EVZ Academy), Colin Gerber (SC Bern), Nico Gross (Oshawa Generals / OHL), Simon Le Coultre (Moncton Wildcats / QMJHL), Elia Riva (HC Lugano), Livio Stadler (EV Zug).

Stürmer: (14): Marco Cavalleri (Victoriaville Tigres / QMJHL), Nando Eggenberger (HC Davos), André Heim (SC Bern), Ken Jäger (HC Davos), Gilian Kohler (Kootenay Ice / WHL), Philipp Kurashev (Québec Remparts / QMJHL) Sven Leuenberger (EV Zug), Guillaume Maillard (Genève-Servette HC), Marco Miranda (GCK/ZSC Lions) , Nicolas Müller (Modo Hockey / SWE), Valentin Nussbaumer (EHC Biel), , Dario Rohrbach (EHC Basel/KLH), Justin Sigrist (Kamloops Blazers / WHL), Axel Simic (Lausanne HC).

Denmark - pairings/lines 20 Dec:

* Jacob Jessen, Oliver Larsen – Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Valdemar Ahlberg, David Madsen
* Malte Setkov, Lasse Mortensen – Joachim Blichfeld, Nikolaj Krag (A), Jonas Røndbjerg
* Jeppe Urup, Rasmus Heine – Daniel Nielsen (A), Christian Wejse (C), Lucas Andersen
* Lasse Carlsen, Christian Larsen – Magnus Molge, Andreas Grundtvig, Oliver True

Asger Petersen, Philip Schultz, Christoffer Gath

goalies: Emil Gransøe, Mads Søgaar

Russia - pairings/lines 20 Dec:

Goalkeepers: Berdin, Melnichuk, Sukhachyov.

Reds: Knyzhov, Minulin - Altybarmakyan, M. Maltsev, Polodyan.

Blues: Zaitsev, Shepelev - Sokolov, Rubtsov, Abramov.

Yellows: Syomin, Makeev - Manukyan, Sholokhov, Kayumov.

Whites: Elizarov, A. Maltsev - Veryaev, Ivanov, Kravtsov.

Blacks: Samorukov, Alexeev - Kostin, Lipanov, Svechnikov.

Finland - lines/pairings 20 Dec:
33 Jere Innala - 29 Eetu Luostarinen - 10 Jerry Turkulainen  /   6 Juuso Välimäki - 36 Kasper Kotkansalo
12 Otto Koivula - 27 Joni Ikonen - 32 Aleksi Heponiemi   /  7 Olli Juolevi - 28 Henri Jokiharju
13 Kristian Vesalainen - 34 Rasmus Kupari - 21 Markus Nurmi  / Robin Salo - 5 Eemeli Räsänen
18 Sami Moilanen - 15 Joona Koppanen - 25 Roope Laavainen

goalies: 31 Niilo Halonen / 30 Lassi Lehtinen

Czech Republic: 

On 2017-12-20 at 4:49 AM, Zoolander said:

Wanted to post this here because of the closer look we'll get at the 2018 prospects,

But if Dahlin and Boqvist are off the board by the time we pick, I think it would be wise to go for a BIG, SKILLED winger to balance our lines (a la WinnipegJets w/ Laine, Wheeler). Svechnikov is who I'll use as a placeholder but it could easily be Zadina as well.

IMO we could create matchup problems for teams who would have to deal with Pettersson-Boeser and Horvat-Svechnikov. Those two dangerous combos would be worth more to me than what a small guy like Quinn Hughes could bring to the table.

But the world juniors could change this for me, maybe Hughes or someone else shines.

I agree that we definitely shouldn’t box ourselves into picking D just because of organizational need and the abundance of talented defensemen this year. Especially if the first few picks somehow go all D on draft day. The top end forwards (like the ones you mentioned) are special players, and would be great additions, especially if we end up drafting at a position where we can snag a forward who is a “faller” and the clear BPA at our slot.

42 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I agree that we definitely shouldn’t box ourselves into picking D just because of organizational need and the abundance of talented defensemen this year. Especially if the first few picks somehow go all D on draft day. The top end forwards (like the ones you mentioned) are special players, and would be great additions, especially if we end up drafting at a position where we can snag a forward who is a “faller” and the clear BPA at our slot.

All depends on where we pick but I'm guessing 6-8 around there unless Zadina falls to us I really like Veleno. I agree we shouldn't grab Hughs, Smith, Merkley with our top pick when we could potentially move up and grab Woo, Bouchard, Miller, Alexeyev  late in the first or even with our second. Though I could be convinced to trade down for Dobson potentially

Archived