The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017/18 WJHC Thread

RRypien37

The tournament starts in a little over a month, no thread yet, figured I would be the one to start it. 

I personally feel this is the best/most entertaining hockey to watch and have been looking forward to the tournament since I was a kid. 

Looks like almost all of the top 2016/2017 draft picks for Canada will make the team as only a few eligible players are currently in the NHL (who may still be released). 

Discuss away...

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

DPW3wU7WkAAczv2.jpg

In the good wholesome words of Jim Benning, "Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind?!?"

Some real head scratchers here but part of it looks like Button is anticipating the continued Canadian tendency to ice a roster that fits set roles instead of just putting the best players on the ice.

Steenbergen is the next Dane Fox.

Why take Dillon Dube?  Just put Kole on his off wing.  He often runs the powerplay from that side anyways.

11 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Some real head scratchers here but part of it looks like Button is anticipating the continued Canadian tendency to ice a roster that fits set roles instead of just putting the best players on the ice.

Steenbergen is the next Dane Fox.

Why take Dillon Dube?  Just put Kole on his off wing.  He often runs the powerplay from that side anyways.

Steenbergen already had 50 goals last year and isn't getting spoon fed my McDavid. Fox's break out year came when he was ALREADY 20 years old. Steenberg doesn't even turn 20 till January. 

Dube made the team last year as an 18 year old...why wouldn't he this year??

• 2 weeks later...

Lind, Cody Glass and Jonathan Ang were the forwards sent back to their junior teams, as were defencemen Dennis Cholowski and Logan Stanley and goalie Samuel Harvey.

"It's obviously heartbreaking for me," said Lind, a second-round pick of the Vancouver Canucks in last summer's NHL draft. "It's something that's out of my control. I think I did what I could. I played pretty well.

"I think there are some things I can take away from this both good and bad."

With Kyrou and Raddysh as #1 and 2 RW lock, and Suzuki being another offensive threat, Lind probably had to unseat one of these guys to make the team.  The tournament being in NA, Canada usually bring a more heavy team in the bottom 6. 

Disappointed I won't get a good look at Lind, but at the same time, he was a long-shot, still nice he got invited to camp.  I'm still excited for the Canucks future, I don't think the team ever got that many possible candidate for the same WJC, even if they don't all make the team : Petterson, Lind, Gajhovic, Dipietro, Lockwood, Juolevi., thats exciting.

With Kyrou and Raddysh as #1 and 2 RW lock, and Suzuki being another offensive threat, Lind probably had to unseat one of these guys to make the team.  The tournament being in NA, Canada usually bring a more heavy team in the bottom 6. 

Disappointed I won't get a good look at Lind, but at the same time, he was a long-shot, still nice he got invited to camp.  I'm still excited for the Canucks future, I don't think the team ever got that many possible candidate for the same WJC, even if they don't all make the team : Petterson, Lind, Gajhovic, Dipietro, Lockwood, Juolevi., thats exciting.

On a positive note, Gadjovich is a scratch tonight against Denmark, per Mark Master's twitter, pretty much guarantying he made the team.

Carter Hart, also a scratch, that was a no brainer returning goalie.    Per Bob Mckenzie's comment, if Dipietro is #3 goalie, he has to go back to Windsor and can be recalled only in case of emergency.  On the other hand, if Point is #3 goalie, he can stay with the team, since his college doesn't have game scheduled during the tournament.  I would say it's looking good for Dipietro.

Dube, Tmmins, Clague other scratches

Archived