The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what is your earliest memory of hockey?

smithers joe

for me it would be as kids sitting by the big radio, listening to foster hewitt doing the play by play of hockey night in canada. 

i remember the big debates on who was best, gordie howe or rocket richard; or who was best bobby orr or doug harvey, 

probably around 1946.

jacques plante changing hockey by coming up with a goalie mask. 

tim horton before he started up a donut shop. 

what about you?

Joe, I'm about 10 years behind you. We had a TV on the farm in Alta., which we got to watch Esso Hockey Night in Canada. Usually a Toronto/Montreal game was on. Richard was out with a broken leg for most of that season, so even though I saw him for a few games, you got the idea of how much of an icon he was in Montreal. I really got into it when Bobby Hull broke into the league in and around '59, and became a huge Hawks fan because of him. Loved the play by play of Danny Gallivan and his sidekick Dick Irvin.

Not my earliest, but my most memorable (some here may hate me for this one)...

My family and I were returning from Florida to our home in Edmonton, when I was eight or nine years old. At the time, my step father was working for Air Canada, and I (our family) was fortunate enough to be able to travel for next to nothing. However, the trade off was riding "stand-by", meaning we only fly when seats are available. So, on this particular vacation, we ended up being stuck at the Toronto International Airport (YYZ I believe). This happened to be on the same day (day after a game) that the Oilers were also travelling back to Edmonton. While I wasn't around for the entire team travelling home, Craig Simpson happened to be there because he had stayed a little longer to spend time with family. Being from the hockey loving family that I am so fortunate to be a part of, my Mom quickly noticed and encouraged me to go say 'Hi' and ask for an autograph. After mustering up the courage, as the shy little guy I was, I finally confronted him with whatever writing surface that I might have been able to have signed. When he graciously accepted, I (apparently) turned into the mightiest chatterbox that you can imagine, and sat with him talking until boarding the next flight to Edmonton. Once the boarding call came, I quickly knew what we had to do (especially riding stand by, and as my Dad would say, representing the company) and with mixed feelings said my 'thank-yous' and started to prepare for the flight home. While boarding, Craig then offers to have me come and sit with him on the flight, and this 9-year-old boy gets to go ride first class, watch the in-flight movie, and talk the ear off of a professional hockey player. For the following few years, he would send me personal invites to both the Oilers' special events as well as his personally driven events (he was a big advocate of the fight against Muscular Dystrophy -sp?- at the time). This was during the time after even Messier and Fuhr had left, when McTavish was the captain, Simpson was an alternate, and Bill Ranford backstopped them to another Stanley Cup after the epic era, when it was thought that the Oilers' time was done.

This is probably the BIGGEST reason why I am such hockey fanatic still today... 

Maybe this can shine a little positive light for those that are extreme Oilers/Simpson haters.

1970? I would be about 3 at the time. I was watching on a black and white TV Boston playing Philly, wondering why this #4 guy was just flying out there, and the other team looking like they were skating in cement. One of the few memories I have that my parents were still together. My Dad was shouting at the TV (chuckle), and it startled me. 

Hockey Night in Canada I think?

17 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Not my earliest, but my most memorable (some here may hate me for this one)...

My family and I were returning from Florida to our home in Edmonton, when I was eight or nine years old. At the time, my step father was working for Air Canada, and I (our family) was fortunate enough to be able to travel for next to nothing. However, the trade off was riding "stand-by", meaning we only fly when seats are available. So, on this particular vacation, we ended up being stuck at the Toronto International Airport (YYZ I believe). This happened to be on the same day (day after a game) that the Oilers were also travelling back to Edmonton. While I wasn't around for the entire team travelling home, Craig Simpson happened to be there because he had stayed a little longer to spend time with family. Being from the hockey loving family that I am so fortunate to be a part of, my Mom quickly noticed and encouraged me to go say 'Hi' and ask for an autograph. After mustering up the courage, as the shy little guy I was, I finally confronted him with whatever writing surface that I might have been able to have signed. When he graciously accepted, I (apparently) turned into the mightiest chatterbox that you can imagine, and sat with him talking until boarding the next flight to Edmonton. Once the boarding call came, I quickly knew what we had to do (especially riding stand by, and as my Dad would say, representing the company) and with mixed feelings said my 'thank-yous' and started to prepare for the flight home. While boarding, Craig then offers to have me come and sit with him on the flight, and this 9-year-old boy gets to go ride first class, watch the in-flight movie, and talk the ear off of a professional hockey player. For the following few years, he would send me personal invites to both the Oilers' special events as well as his personally driven events (he was a big advocate of the fight against Muscular Dystrophy -sp?- at the time). This was during the time after even Messier and Fuhr had left, when McTavish was the captain, Simpson was an alternate, and Bill Ranford backstopped them to another Stanley Cup after the epic era, when it was thought that the Oilers' time was done.

This is probably the BIGGEST reason why I am such hockey fanatic still today... 

Maybe this can shine a little positive light for those that are extreme Oilers/Simpson haters.

we all have teams we root for, but we are all hockey fans.  

Oddly, watching Gretzky's final game is the thing that stands out the most for me. I'm 23, so I would have been five or six at the time I think. My family had me watching hockey from the second I was born, but that's the first thing I remember concretely. I cried and didn't know why I was crying, but I knew it was sad :lol:

I think being at a Saskatoon Blades game, probably 8 or 9 years old. They used to play in a great old building with a wood roof and big rafters and I remember everyone being packed in tight. Quite a different experience than what you get now in a lot of places. There probably are some of these rinks left in the CHL... might be neat to do a tour of some of them while they are still around. 

In 1993, I was at my first Canucks game for my brothers birthday. I was 6 years old and didn't know anything about the sport. The crowd started chanting "GINO! GINO! GINO!" so I asked my dad why they were chanting that. He said "Do you see the guy that just hit one of the Canucks? They want Gino to fight him".

I think it stands out because at 6 years old, I had always been told that fighting was wrong and it was so weird to see a situation where it wasn't only condoned, but encouraged and celebrated. 

Around 1958 at my grand parents farm. My father was a Habs fan and my grand parents and uncles were Leaf fans and banned my dad from the house because of the arguments he would get into. I would go and sit with him in an old Hudson that we had for a car at the time..he would be laughing and drinking a mickie of whiskey. This probably set the foundation for my hatred of the Leafs.

Mine are just of the "feeling" of hockey.  As a kid, would be outside playing and would come running in on Saturdays for dinner...hear the HNIC song and the rattling of the potato pot as it boiled.  The warmth of coming in to the house, coupled with the sounds and smells takes me right back there.

Dad was on a fishboat that chartered out to the Leafs...he hated them.  I got their autographs but he was less than impressed that his boat had been tainted by Leafs.

Also, had an Aunt who lived up the road from Bobby Schmautz and we got to jump on his trampoline.  Didn't give a hoot about hockey then, but would come to learn who he was later on.

As a teen, my boyfriend and his friends let me tag along to be the only girl watching with them because I actually did watch the games.  It was a bit of a man club, but I had a secret access pass.

Late 70s

It was a Leafs game because it was Hockey Night in Canada :rolleyes: 

I was about 5. Lots of fights. I remember my grandma cursing at the TV plenty. She was the feistiest one in the family when it came to hockey.

Just remember fighting must have been a big deal in hockey.

Next day I told my friends about all the fights. Said that their was so many fights that the ice turned red.

We watched the game on a black and white TV.

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Late 70s

It was a Leafs game because it was Hockey Night in Canada :rolleyes: 

I was about 5. Lots of fights. I remember my grandma cursing at the TV plenty. She was the feistiest one in the family when it came to hockey.

Just remember fighting must have been a big deal in hockey.

Next day I told my friends about all the fights. Said that their was so many fights that the ice turned red.

We watched the game on a black and white TV.

Aw, my Mom too (my kids have fond memories of their Grandma yelling at the TV).  <3

Archived