The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you were Benning, what would you do? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

If you were our GM (Benning), what is your course of action between now and the end of the season?

Do you.....

#1. Status quo...................do not move veterans at TDL

#2. Move some veterans at the TDL

#3. Make deals that include youth and veterans for prospects

#4. Make deals for more picks

#5. Add veterans for playoff run

#6, Re-sign with the Canucks

#7. Sign somewhere else because of lack of support for your program by ownership

What would you do? (can be multiple answers)

#1.If, I am offered a new contract, I am only signing it I get total control of the operations

#2. I have a long term goal, one which will set up the Canucks for 10 + years, and I would not deviate from my coarse, unless because of injuries

#3. I sell off a few vets, if deals are available that give us more picks or a blue chip prospect

#4. I go hard after E, Kane on a 5 year deal

#5. I move Edler if at all possible, as we need to clear a space for our youth.

Totally depends on how the team is doing, as well as what's on offer...

If we have a good legit chance of making the play offs, I would expect something very good to let go of any player.

And only veterans for either picks or good prospects. Not the 6 and half a dozen prospect type...

Would not sign more veterans. Let the team as it is run with it, and see where it leads to.

i just don't have enough experience running and building a nhl team to know what is the best moves. i guess, i'ld sit down with my staff and get as much imput on players, cap space, what we need the most and what deals would make the most sense for the future of the team.

I think the poll is flawed, really.  It depends on:

- What we can get for our players and as such what other teams want for their players

- Where we are in the season.  Are we making the playoffs?

- How our prospects do through their respective seasons which will help determine what we need

What I *expect* :
Trade Gudbranson possibly (likely?) Vanek by TDL. 
Put a couple roster and/or prospects on the block if it helps us get stronger or potentially stronger players in return.

I keep harping the same thing over and over, but Benning really needs to address our lack of prospect depth on d.  If we do trade anyone, I would like to see the focus on that and get back a defensive prospect that has the potential of being our #1pmd.  

39 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#1.If, I am offered a new contract, I am only signing it I get total control of the operations CDC

#2. I have a long term goal, one which will set up the Canucks for 10 + years, and I would not deviate from my coarse, unless because of injuries

#3. I sell off a few vets, if deals are available that give us more picks or a blue chip prospect

FTFY

I would change the team name. All Stanley Cup winners since 2001 have the letter "i" in their team name. Doing so would increase the chances of winning a cup by at least 100% if not more. Not having it is a SUREFIRE recipe for failure.

Options:

- Vancouver Canicks

- Vancouver Canuckis

- Vancouvier Canucks (to give it a French spin)

Everything will depend on where the team is at in Feb.  I do expect that as the season goes on, we will slip down the standings as Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas, Edmonton and Anaheim start to find their game.  It has been a great start, but is still very early.  I do hope I am wrong though, and we carry this momentum through the season and get into the playoffs.  I have loved watching this group and the uptempo style.

Assuming we are right on the bubble, I would think Vanek would be dealt for sure.  He should be able to net us at least a 2nd.  Depending on Gudbranson's contract demands, he could either be dealt or signed.  I would think he would get at least a 2nd as well if he were dealt.  I don't think that wither of these deals would kill our layoff hopes either.  I think another wild car, depending on Demko's performance, would be trading Nillson to a team looking for a 1B goalie.

Move some vets (2 or 3 of sucks

Make deals for more picks (Target with EDM, they always has luckily get the 1st OA)

Re-sign with Canucks (As long as possible with more money)

Don't need add vets for playoff run. Just let Green to run the team with his system.

1.If, I am offered a new contract, I am only signing it I get total control of the operations

I like these except Kane, unless you mean waiting til he hits free agency years end, I think he is worth the gamble to bring here. Would rather him at 6mil instead of Eriksson but hey ship sailed on that one.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

#2. Move some veterans at the TDL

#3. Make deals that include youth and veterans for prospects

What would you do? (can be multiple answers)

#2 or #3 would be my choices.  We need to stay the course of our rebuild, not get distracted by a surprising season of being slightly above mediocre.  We should be trading people on expiring contracts unless we are re-signing them (we don't have many unfortunately since the Sedins won't be traded).  We should also be open to moving younger players if it's in packages for more elite younger players. 

So Gudbransson and Vanek should be gone for picks/prospects.  See what offers we get for Edler (and maybe even Tanev), but only trade them if we get a really great offer.  Otherwise trade Edler next year when he's a pending UFA.  We should also be looking at what offers we get at the deadline for Dorsett (sell high) and Sutter.

If the Canucks are out of a playoff position:

- Re-sign Gudbranson, Pouliot, Virtanen, Baertschi, Stecher. (I think they all need to be re-signed)

- Trade Vanek, Gagner, Granlund, Burmistrov and Hutton for picks-prospects. (hopefully they`ll end up with 2 high picks)

Off-season:

- The Sedins retire

- Wiercioch walks

- Sign UFA Evander Kane in the off-season

Kane - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Pettersson - Virtanen

Dahlen - Sutter - Goldobin

Gaunce - Gaudette - Eriksson

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Juolevi

Nilsson

Markstrom

Re sign Gud.  Within reason if not trade him 

deal With the RFAs in the summer.

trade as many over 27 vets as possible and any expiring contracts not signed by the TDL 

try to find anyone that would want louie and or gagner 

beg edler to give a list of teams he would consider. 

Load up picks and prospects 

if there’s interest at the TDL maybe move marstrom I like nilson better and then have demko come in as a back up.

It would be nice next year to be clean of as many old vets as possible 

make it clear to the sedins that they will not be offered a contact in the summer, I’d do this in a private conversation so if they chose to retire it wouldn’t  seem forced or to feed the media trolls.

In the Summer  Hope Kane is avaible as a ufa make a play for his services.

also look at the core and start adding the support pieces to make this club a CUP contender not a playoff contender,

Archived