The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GMJB interview: 24.11.17

ftmN

53 minutes ago, butters said:

The media seems to have stopped harping on his "lack of plan". And somehow I doubt the will ever do a mea culpa on that.

why should he? Linden has been very open about trying to stay competitive with the Sedins for Jim's first two years. Since then he's got the mandate to rebuild and we've got some pretty exciting prospects on the horizon. 

oops - misread that one. No the media never has to say its sorry. 

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

I love how Jim has turned this team around.  Sure, he's made some head scratching moves, but what GM hasn't?  It's easy to go back and pick apart his shortcomings with the advantage of hindsight, but we should also consider the good he's done for the team.  It's still going to be a least a year or two before we really start to see the fruits of his labour, when Elias and Olli make the team.  Brock Boesser is an absolute stud in the NHL right now.  That's all I'll say there, I don't want to jinx it.  Looking like the Sven Baertschi trade was a huge success.  Granlund for Shinkaruk seems to have worked in his favour too. 

He's also done all this while still showing a tremendous amount of respect for the Sedins, letting them play out their contracts to the end, even if it is slowing down the rebuild a little bit (up for debate I suppose).  They've certainly earned it for all they've given the franchise over their careers.

i agree

look where the team was at and what jb had to work with when he started

look at the lack of drafting breaks he has had since that time

compare this to what chia pet had to work with when he joined the oilers and what he has accomplished

i prefer jb hands down given their respective recent track records

it's still too early but at least a discussion can be had that the nucks future looks as bright (brighter?) then the oilers ?

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i agree

look where the team was at and what jb had to work with when he started

look at the lack of drafting breaks he has had since that time

compare this to what chia pet had to work with when he joined the oilers and what he has accomplished

it's still too early but at least a discussion can be had that the nucks future looks as bright (brighter?) then the oilers ?

What is happening to the Oiler this year is a complete head scratcher.  I bought into the hype they created last year, heck and one point Vegas gave them the best odds to win the cup during the second round.  Media types kept it up throughout the summer with THN putting them first in the division and to lose in the final to PIT, and many others basically giving McDavid the Art Ross and Hart trophy before the first puck dropped and Talbot forty plus wins.  

The hole they have dug for themselves could put them in a position to draft Dahlin, but they can still turn it around and it's the teams going into the playoffs hot that you've got to watch out for.

Are the Canucks better? Certainly not on paper but you have to wonder of things keep up that eventually we will have to get out due...but I don't mind being the underdog, no pressure for us.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

What is happening to the Oiler this year is a complete head scratcher.  I bought into the hype they created last year, heck and one point Vegas gave them the best odds to win the cup during the second round.  Media types kept it up throughout the summer with THN putting them first in the division and to lose in the final to PIT, and many others basically giving McDavid the Art Ross and Hart trophy before the first puck dropped and Talbot forty plus wins.  

The hole they have dug for themselves could put them in a position to draft Dahlin, but they can still turn it around and it's the teams going into the playoffs hot that you've got to watch out for.

Are the Canucks better? Certainly not on paper but you have to wonder of things keep up that eventually we will have to get out due...but I don't mind being the underdog, no pressure for us.

i agree entirely with your post

it almost makes me wonder whether the problems of the recent past (high draft picks not working out and some sort of internal problem on that team)

have not yet been completely overcome

i am also curious about the lack of influence coaching has had on that team this year

i'd be really concerned if i were an oiler fan (i'm not)

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Pratt appears to be Benning's biggest fan all of a sudden.  Good for a laugh.

Boeser

Gaudette

Brisebois

"2015 draft -- Canucks' worst ever"

- Pratt

Then on comes the braying donkey Botchford, who's been pimping his bromance with "flat JPat" to no end.  He has something over that morning crew, as they now say "JPat" and literally fluff his pillows every time he's on.  Botchford says Horvat's getting a bridge deal -- "Oh, they discussed every type of deal... so Botch was right!"

18 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

Thing is, with not just the Oilers but also the Flames and Leafs, they seemed to figure "rebuild's over!" and started trading off picks and signing old veterans.  Problem now is that all their best prospects are already on their teams and their pipelines are looking rather barren, with nothing but B and C-grade prospects.  Canucks only have a couple of their better ones so far, with at least 3-4 top-notch ones to arrive yet and several B-level developing as well.

Good things to hear, real good.

Confused why C is priority through draft though? We have Horvat, Petersson, Sutter, Granlund, Gagner right now... and next year our wing depth takes a hit... after Baertchi and Boeser I don't really see a top 6 winger ready to step in. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Boeser

Gaudette

Brisebois

"2015 draft -- Canucks' worst ever"

- Pratt

Then on comes the braying donkey Botchford, who's been pimping his bromance with "flat JPat" to no end.  He has something over that morning crew, as they now say "JPat" and literally fluff his pillows every time he's on.  Botchford says Horvat's getting a bridge deal -- "Oh, they discussed every type of deal... so Botch was right!"

It's good you remember that too about Pratt and the "worst draft ever" quote. I tried finding that clip a couple of times but they magically deleted it. 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You can easily convert C to wing, but it's more difficult to convert wing to C.  For this reason, I'm in agreement that we could use some more C depth.

Would it be insanely crazy to hope for Barkov back in a Guddy + trade?  

52 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Confused why C is priority through draft though? We have Horvat, Petersson, Sutter, Granlund, Gagner right now... and next year our wing depth takes a hit... after Baertchi and Boeser I don't really see a top 6 winger ready to step in. 

You can never have too much centers. It's must easier to convert a center to play wing than getting a natural winger to learn and play the center position. Espeially with the new face-off rule, it's beneficial to have 2 natural centers on the ice to take face-offs if one gets waived out.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

A Finn C-man with a (seemingly) Russian family name that has scored almost a point a game in the last two seasons?  

That's hardly insanely crazy.  The trick will be to figure out how we're going to get back a rough-and-tumble D-man back (either through trade or development).

Sounds impossible to get Barkov, without giving up one of our really good young guys:(

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

I think he was referring to the need to add a playmaking center - Pettersson - in last year's draft.  I didn't hear him imply that C remains a priority - just that it was.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I dunno.  It's a tough one - with so much ignorance and lack of talent to choose from.

Who's the worst?

Botchford, Pratt, Paterson, Gallagher, Canucksmarmy....

Such a sports media wasteland, Vancouver has become.

Jim Benning had done a good job rebuilding the prospect pool and is showing the fruits of the labour.  This is just the first step and the rebuilding is not done but tanking seems to hurt other teams as well so we best keep whatever we could to teach our players to maintain a hard working and winning culture despite a losing seasons.    Now, as for media talents, I felt that they needs to enter in a rebuilding stage, purging all of the media talents and replace them with better talent and I'm sure that there are plenty of prospect pool in sports media is eager to get involved in the field.  So hopefully that there will be more people replacing the current core of media.  The game has passed them away so find a new one for better.  

16 hours ago, Western Red said:

Gudbranson, Lind and Subban?

Barkov would be one of the top 10 talents Vancouver had ever had! He's a machine.

More like add Horvat or Boeser, Barkov is otherwise untouchable.   No way Benning makes that trade though.

On 11/25/2017 at 1:03 AM, Davathor said:

Playmaking C in Pettersson.  He said they had scoring wingers (eg Dahlen, Lind) but no playmaking Cs and that it was the reason it was so important to get Pettersson.

Priority is probably a D1 now - someone that can QB the PP.  

The thing that utterly baffles me about JB is his unwillingness to aquire players that can play physical and act as a deterrent while trying to integrate younger skilled players onto this roster. 

His drafting  appears  to be above average, however the concept  of a safe work environment for the younger players appears to be lost on him.

He will never succeed with the mentality that someone else will look after you (refs or the league)

You have to be a leader not a follower to win. I just don't  see that in him.

Archived