The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) summer signed Ufas best /worst

combover

Last summers UFAs best worst.   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So 1/4 way into the season the new players have had some time to show us what they got, curious to see what the consensus is.

Overall I’d say the signings have been good additions 

acouple guys we coulda done without 

wiercoich and gagner but overall they’ve(the ufas)  been good and could be even better if they can turn into some picks down the road.

Couldnt add wiercoich due to poll limitations. I’d say he’s a

meh 

They've all done a good job.

Imo, in order

Nilsson/MDZ

Vanek

Burmistrov/Gagner

Gagner could produce a bit more at his cap hit (although overall he's been good), but I'd take the lot all over again at this point.  Four of them are outplaying their contracts imo, Gagner is living up to his (folks can take issue with that, but his objective outcomes are good).

I'd order them:

~Great~

1. Nilsson

~Good~

2. Vanek

3. Del Zotto

~Meh~

4. Burmistrov

~Bad~

5. Gagner

Nilsson has been spectacular compared to what expectations were for him. He could make himself a very valuable TDL piece (or Markstrom) depending on how the rest of the season goes and if a cup contender suffers an injury in net.

Vanek has been quietly having a very good season. Came as advertised (or slightly better than I anticipated).

Del Zotto has been a staple at the top of our minute-munching charts and has really allowed us to have some defensive depth this season. I expect he could draw a lot of attention at the TDL as well, although I think I would rather keep him and trade a different defenceman (read: Gudbranson).

Burmistrov hasn't been anything to write home about, but I didn't have much expectations for him either. Fits the "meh" category well.

Gagner is having a poor season. Definitely the worst signing in my opinion because he's playing far below expectations. Hopefully he turns it around and is also a possible TDL chip if we're not looking to make the playoffs by then.

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I am the only one that voted Gagne good.  Suck it

Gagner has been good.

42.2% offensive zone starts - only Sutter and Dorsett start in their own end more often.

48.8 corsi - not bad in that context.

On pace to score 30 points - good 3rd line production at 3rd line money.  Only 2 of 8 pts are pp.

52,31% in the faceoff circle.

Shooting percentage is low - bound to return to the mean = more production.

He's actually 5th on the team in hits - Dorsett is the only forward with more....

Not bad - can hope for more, but I'd say that you can't expect a lot more in a 3rd line role at relative money.  The rest of the UFA guys have been very good though, so Gagner becomes the default guy that people dump on.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gagner has been good.

42.2% offensive zone starts - only Sutter and Dorsett start in their own end more often.

On pace to score 30 points - good 3rd line production at 3rd line money.  Only 2 of 8 pts are pp.

He's actually 5th on the team in hits - Dorsett is the only forward with more....

Not bad - can hope for more, but I'd say that you can't expect a lot more in a 3rd line role at relative money.  The rest of the UFA guys have been very good though, so Gagner becomes the default guy that people dump on.

I keep hoping he will points wise sooner than later.  I guess that actually has to happen though.  I thought he was playing his best with Burmistrov

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gagner has been good.

I gave him a “meh” but I’m super impressed at his team game... especially for a former coiler.  Can’t say the guy isn’t grinding and being a good teammate.  

Solid depth veteran forward.

39 minutes ago, Western Red said:

All decent signings. Kinda weird thread at 1/4 mark.

The signings buried Goldobin, nobody has mentioned the actual rendering of bubble players.

Archibald too. 

Doesn't matter its Aquacash anyway.

wiercoich meh at 8-9D

It’ll be interesting to see if it changes at the 1/2 way.

Agreed would have like to see Archie or a few other farm hands get a shot.

55 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I keep hoping he will points wise sooner than later.  I guess that actually has to happen though.  I thought he was playing his best with Burmistrov

yeah, they were developing some chemistry, otherwise he's been all over the lineup, so all things considered, including how early it is in his time here, there's not much to complain about there.

as @ilduce39 points out, he's playing a solid team game - and he's playing relatively hard minutes, so he really should be judged on his two-way game, not just his production (people might be expecting too much if they're thinking he should score 50 pts in the role he's playing).

12 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I gave him a “meh” but I’m super impressed at his team game... especially for a former coiler.  Can’t say the guy isn’t grinding and being a good teammate.  

Solid depth veteran forward.

I didn't give anybody a "worst" vote.  But 2 got a "meh":  Gagner and Burmistrov.

I'm wondering whether Sutter is going to miss games after getting trucked last night.  I'm happy there are guys like Gags and Burmy to step in because I don't want to see Megna or Chaput playing in a Canuck uniform.

I only wish Gags were on a 1 year contract like the others (excepting MDZ).  These guys should be dropped from the line up as younger players become ready.  Goldobin, Petersson, Dahlen, and Gaudette could very well make the team next year.

I get that Vanek may be on the rental market at the TDL but wouldn't mind if he were re-signed particularly if the Sedin's are retiring.  However, they are picking up their play lately so their retirement is in question imo

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I didn't give anybody a "worst" vote.  But 2 got a "meh":  Gagner and Burmistrov.

I'm wondering whether Sutter is going to miss games after getting trucked last night.  I'm happy there are guys like Gags and Burmy to step in because I don't want to see Megna or Chaput playing in a Canuck uniform.

I only wish Gags were on a 1 year contract like the others (excepting MDZ).  These guys should be dropped from the line up as younger players become ready.  Goldobin, Petersson, Dahlen, and Gaudette could very well make the team next year.

I get that Vanek may be on the rental market at the TDL but wouldn't mind if he were re-signed particularly if the Sedin's are retiring.  However, they are picking up their play lately so their retirement is in question imo

Oh yeah... if Sutter is going to miss time someone has to step up but at least it will be an NHL calibre replacement.  Will be interesting to see who Green taps for his line.  Could be Burmy or Gagner but Granlund / Gaunce could be in as well.  As always, at least there's options.

The roster could look dramatically different or very similar next year.  Any combo of the twins, Vanek, Burmistrov all may be gone and Goldy/Gaudette/Pettersson/Dahlen could be in although I highly doubt a 4 in 4 out situation. I trust Jim and Travis to make the right calls here... Vanek and the Twins have been effective depth scoring for the B's lately.

5 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Oh yeah... if Sutter is going to miss time someone has to step up but at least it will be an NHL calibre replacement.  Will be interesting to see who Green taps for his line.  Could be Burmy or Gagner but Granlund / Gaunce could be in as well.  As always, at least there's options.

The roster could look dramatically different or very similar next year.  Any combo of the twins, Vanek, Burmistrov all may be gone and Goldy/Gaudette/Pettersson/Dahlen could be in although I highly doubt a 4 in 4 out situation. I trust Jim and Travis to make the right calls here... Vanek and the Twins have been effective depth scoring for the B's lately.

That would work for me...but MacEwen should be in with them and Gagner traded to make room...we need some meat coming in with those young smallish soon to be stars....

I did give Vanek a begrugding "good" vote....he is making it work....Gagner....no.....absolutely allergic too the puck...and corner's....

11 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

If folks here are bear on Gagner (I'm ok with him but) I have a proposal that I think might work for all parties involved.

Gagner to San Jose for the Honey Badger.

Bring back the Honey-Badger.  No brainer imo.  Gotta move a veteran to make sense, but this could imo.

The Shards have been on-off scratching Jannik (12 g, 1 assist this year).... Not working out for them (something most Canucks fans can probably take great pleasure in - shafting San Jose). 

Jannik is a true Canuck - just no chemistry possible with that whine and dive Cali group.

So bring him back - with the option of either renting him after his meteoric rise back to stardom - and/or re-sign him again.

Similar versatility to Gagner, but a bit better fit imo as an option to reunite with the Sedins (although I don't necesarily share the opinion that Virtanen should be off their line or that we should be too concerned about Virtanen)  and maybe a better bottom six option as well, with more speed, more grit, and capable of putting up similar numbers to Gagner.  It may not rub a guy like Gagner the right way, but would be fun and perhaps a bit of a class act to bring Jannik back.

Sutter injury could complicate that though - Gagner as an option at C is one of the benefits of having him around.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:15 PM, combover said:

So 1/4 way into the season the new players have had some time to show us what they got, curious to see what the consensus is.

Overall I’d say the signings have been good additions 

acouple guys we coulda done without 

wiercoich and gagner but overall they’ve(the ufas)  been good and could be even better if they can turn into some picks down the road.

Couldnt add wiercoich due to poll limitations. I’d say he’s a

meh 

Holm has done better than expected but he was left out too.   Has shown far more offensive flair than expected and is rounding into a top pairing guy in Utica - great progress for such a young D guy.

Archived