The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks - Islanders

The New York Islanders are right in the heat of the race for the top of the Metropolitan division.  With Tavares contract coming up, they also need to make moves to show him that they're serious about winning.  The Isles are third in scoring this year but terrible in goal.  Greiss has .903 SV% and 3.34 GAA.  Halak has .902 SV% and 2.96 GAA.  Losing Hamonic has also really hurt the defense.  I think they'd be interested in a goalie and top defender in exchange for picks, prospects.

To New York Islanders:

Chris Tanev

Anders Nilsson .934 SV% and 2.25 GAA

To Vancouver Canucks:

Jaroslav Halak (expiring contract)

Joshua Ho-Sang (top young forward prospect)

2018 Calgary First Round Pick

Cap:

5.48M to Vancouver

6.94M to NYI

NYI's have 2 million in caps space before this deal

Why for the Islanders: Travis Hamonic demanded a trade a long time ago, wanting to go to Western Canada.  Finally, this offseason his wish became reality with a trade to Calgary.  The Islanders got a good value return for him.  They have been great offensively this season but quite bad defensively and in goal.  Tanev is a similar right hand shot, similar age, similar defenseman.  Tanev helps solidify that spot, and Nilsson offers a better goalie to split time with Greiss, and even stay the starter if Greiss doesn't turn around.  They solve their two main issues, and essentially trade away a similar value as to what they received for Hamonic.  As mentioned originally, the Islanders need to prove their making a big push to convince Tavares to stay.

Why for the Canucks: Losing Tanev hurts.  A lot.  He's still entering his prime, and a rock defensively.  However he will realistically be on the downside of his career by the time our new wave of players is entering their prime, which is why trading him now can make sense.  In this deal the Canucks get a top offensive prospect who can be a game changer.  They get a good first round pick (of a division rival) which is a huge asset.  Tanev alone wouldn't get a top prospect and first rounder, but adding Nilsson adds the value enough to get top dollar.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Exchange Marky for Nilsson and it gets more interesting... but Tanev for a lotto pick is enticing. I'd like to see one more later round pick coming our way as well. 

I'd also prefer including Markstrom but I don't think they would want the extra cap hit since they already have Greiss signed for more money, and would likely not want two guys in that price range.  Plus Nilsson is the hotter goalie at the moment.

Yeah I thought about adding in another late round pick.  Could potentially also be added.

3 minutes ago, underrated said:

I'd also prefer including Markstrom but I don't think they would want the extra cap hit since they already have Greiss signed for more money, and would likely not want two guys in that price range.  Plus Nilsson is the hotter goalie at the moment.

Yeah I thought about adding in another late round pick.  Could potentially also be added.

the thing that makes this really hard though is the Tavares situation. If he doesn't extend, then NYI can go full on rebuild with 6 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds in the next two years so they won't move those, and whatever they also get more moving Tavares at the TDL. But if they know by Jan 1 that a deal can be worked out then they need to make room for that fat contract.... I could see them wanting us to take a contract back like Clutterbuck. I'm sure they'd love us to take Ladd :lol:

Seems like a fair trade for both teams. 

I don't think NYI need to add another pick.  Ho-Sang is a 1st round and is only 21yrs.  He is going to be a very good NHL player.

Flames pick will be a late 1st, but in this coming draft there is plenty of opportunity for the Canucks to still get an excellent prospect.

Would prefer to see this deal happen much later in the season, as losing Tanev and Nilsson will show in the L column.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the thing that makes this really hard though is the Tavares situation. If he doesn't extend, then NYI can go full on rebuild with 6 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds in the next two years so they won't move those, and whatever they also get more moving Tavares at the TDL. But if they know by Jan 1 that a deal can be worked out then they need to make room for that fat contract.... I could see them wanting us to take a contract back like Clutterbuck. I'm sure they'd love us to take Ladd :lol:

Yeah that's true.  My suggestion was predicated on the Islanders making a strong push to convince Tavares to stay, or if they are under the impression he will re-sign.  However you are right that if they can't come to an agreement before the deadline, they may actually just be best to trade him for a huge package of assets.  I'd love to see what return he'd get in a trade.  Even with the expiring contract, he's not simply a rental, because many teams will look at it as their chance to convince him to sign before anyone else can talk to him.  

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Isles already have 8 D. I doubt they'd want another unless one was being sent to the Canucks.

Leddy - Boychuk

De Haan - Pelech

Hickey - Mayfield

Siedenberg - Pulock

They only have one good right handed defenseman (Boychuk).  I'm fine taking a D man in return, ideally Pulock but maybe they'd rather dump someone else.  Overall they need to improve their defense as a team, even though they have enough bodies.

This deal makes sense except that I feel that we need defensemen than forwards. We have several forwards who are up and coming, but a dearth of good defensive prospects. If you exchanged Ho-Sang for a defenseman of similar age and calibre, I'd be interested in doing this deal.

15 minutes ago, underrated said:

They only have one good right handed defenseman (Boychuk).  I'm fine taking a D man in return, ideally Pulock but maybe they'd rather dump someone else.  Overall they need to improve their defense as a team, even though they have enough bodies.

Mayfield isn't too bad, and Pelech plays that side pretty well despite being a lefty.

I just think Tanev would be more valuable to the Canucks than the Isles. I don't see them giving up a quality young player and a 1st.

2 hours ago, underrated said:

Yeah that's true.  My suggestion was predicated on the Islanders making a strong push to convince Tavares to stay, or if they are under the impression he will re-sign.  However you are right that if they can't come to an agreement before the deadline, they may actually just be best to trade him for a huge package of assets.  I'd love to see what return he'd get in a trade.  Even with the expiring contract, he's not simply a rental, because many teams will look at it as their chance to convince him to sign before anyone else can talk to him.  

he'd get more than Duchene if he was an RFA thats for sure. I've been looking at cap friendly and have to say the Isles are in a very good position to rebuild quickly, no really bad contracts - depending on how you view Ladd of course - and ton's of room to make deals, and add to that all those early round picks. They're not in a position at all to have to do a bargain deal. 

I do think your suggestion of Tanev would be someone they'd be interested in, they could easily afford him and he'd be a huge contributor for them. If Jim could squirrel Sebastian Aho out of them as part of the Tanev deal that would be amazing. 

Reasonable deal for both sides, but would want more for CT & AL. Ideally a young D-man & top pick. Like the trade pattern here.. but if it doesn't fetch a bigger haul, I'd probably pass.

Another suggestion is they agree we take the higher 1st(theirs or Cal). Include an Isles prospect with size/grit, & we include a limp-wristed one.

Wonder if a team like the Canes might be one we should target? Deep on D, & wanna keep costs down.

Islanders are going to need to re-sign Tavares and Bailey to substantial raises. Tavares will probably get $11M ($5.5M added to cap) and Bailey will probably get around $5.5M ($2.2M added to cap) for a total cap add of $7.7M. They have Kulemin and Chimera coming off for a cap savings of $6.4M. The net result would be an add of $1.3M to cap but they would still need to replace Kulemin and Chimera, albeit at lower salaries.

Based on the above, I doubt they can add on a Nilsson and Tanev unless they are returning at least the same cap hit to us and I am sure they would prefer we take on more. I like the idea of taking on Halak and getting Calgary's 1st round pick to build on our defense prospect pool. However, I doubt the Islanders would want to part with Ho-Sang as opposed to someone on a higher contract. Perhaps Brock Nelson would be a better target as he is going to be a RFA as well and likely going to get a raise that the Islanders may have trouble fitting under the cap. Nelson brings more of what we need in terms of grit combined with skill IMHO.

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Isles already have 8 D. I doubt they'd want another unless one was being sent to the Canucks.

Leddy - Boychuk

De Haan - Pelech

Hickey - Mayfield

Siedenberg - Pulock

Tanev would arguably become their best defenseman. Ho-Sang and CGY's 1st would be a good haul for Tanev.

Archived