Monty

To Anaheim:

Adam Henrique

Joseph Blandisi

3rd round Pick

To New Jersey:

Sami Vatanen

Conditional pick

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-acquire-henrique-blandisi-2018-draft-pick-from-new-jersey/c-293510570

The Ducks have acquired centers Adam Henrique and Joseph Blandisi, and a 2018 third-round draft pick from New Jersey in exchange for defenseman Sami Vatanen and a conditional draft pick.

I'm a little surprised the got a RHD. 
They have Severson, Santini and Lovejoy on the right. I guess this means that Lovejoy comes out? Either way, this means they are ready to push Zacha into the top 6 until Palmieri and Johansson come back.

I like this trade. Henrique > Vatanen but the premium for defensemen prevails and you get a big package for Vatanen. Anaheim certainly solves their issues at center. Grant centering the top line is sad.

Ducks were skidding hard with the likes of Grant and Vermette as their top 6 Cs. Henrique will give them an actual top 6 C and have top 6 ability unlike a lot of the AHL players they have playing in the top 6 now.

Devils get an offensive top 4 Dman in Vatanen. Can never have too many of those in this league. One thing I noticed about Vatanen come playoff time was that big physical teams in the West often targeted him as his size was something coaches tried to exploit. A move out to the East though should benefit him well.

Overall, I think this is a win for both teams. I do think Getzlaf-Kesler-Henrique down the middle will give the Ducks a great advantage over some teams come playoff time.

While I know Kesler and Getzlaf are out long term one has to wonder what this will do to Anaheims D depth.  Losing both Theodore AND Vatanen in short order.  Both incredibly gifted young prospects/players for the blue line (seriously, the proposals for both here were bordering on the silly)

Shocked this trade didn't generate more attention

The ducks forward group will be scary once Getz and Kesler are back.

Getz, Kesler Henrique and Vermette down the middle, Ritchie, Perry, Cogs, Silverberg, Rakell and Eaves as the top 9 wingers. And they still have a solid backline although not nearly as deep as 6 months ago. 

Look for them to do damage in the playoffs if healthy.

Archived