The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson (discussion)

Past coupla' days seen articles with him & Doughty negotiating thru the press(1.5 yrs to UFA status). the latter stating they're worth more than Subban's $

Arguing/flaunting over price like wh*res in a common massage parlour. What's the deal here? Get out in FRONT of it all? Something for the greasy press to write about? Good Lord.

Let's make this simple. TheHell with DDoughty..hope he rots.

Karlsson. 1- Stay or go?

2- Leave via UFA(like Suter)?

3- Trade? To where? How much(pkg) would he fetch?

4- What will he sign for?

Ottawa have screwed themselves cap-wise(mostly Phaneuf & Ryan). I could see EK go to a market like the Stars. They'll trade a nice pkg with Honka & maybe 2 1st's(++)???

Spezza's off the books, & there's Methot to the madness...

I read the article about Karlsson in today's paper. I know he wants to get paid, but the way he talks, the Sens mean nothing to him, it's all about the money. Sounds like he has zero allegiance to any team, as long as they make him the highest paid D in the league. Great player, but I lost respect.

Phaneuf can be traded in the 2019-2020 season where his actual salary will be minimal vs his cap hit.  He'd be a beauty trade for a team that needs to hit the floor.

But.  Kalrsson will be 29-30 by the time his new contract kicks in.  He is THE premiere defenseman in the league.  He's going to get $11+ million without question and he's going to get it for 7 straight years.  At NO point in time will he be worth an $11+ million cap hit in his mid to late 30's

Ottawa would do well to seriously consider finding a way to maximize the return on him because with their internal cap there's little to no way they'd be able to keep him and ice a competitive team.  If they could do it for $9.5 to $10 million maybe, as it would only be a 2-2.5 million increase on his current salary but after that....

Arizona, Buffalo, Florida.  Pick a team with a glut of quality prospects and futures and ship him off in his last year.  He'd be worth an absolute ransom in return and while he MIGHT help turn around a floundering franchise, the likelihood of the return in multiple 1st round picks and quality blue chip prospects would help Ottawa much more in the long term

Dorion would be foolish to not seriously start thinking of the return on EK.  Especially with the way he was talking about me, my, mine, I the way he was

It reads like he's gonna test the market. Ottawa being the tightwad capital of Canada better pony up and match the inevitable 11-12m offer he's going to get from at least 15 teams.

If JB managed to land Karlsson with the twins expired contracts. I'd probably cry every morning as I stared into the mirror at the massive tattoo of JB I'd get on my chest. (it would be the eyes bugging out on draft day image)

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I read the article about Karlsson in today's paper. I know he wants to get paid, but the way he talks, the Sens mean nothing to him, it's all about the money. Sounds like he has zero allegiance to any team, as long as they make him the highest paid D in the league. Great player, but I lost respect.

This exactly. I felt the same way. I'd feel kinda betrayed if I was a Sens fan.

On the note of his payday, I could see Karlsson getting around a $10M cap hit kind of deal wherever he lands, perhaps even closer to $11M.

For those wondering, here's the Karlsson article being referenced:

Erik Karlsson made it crystal clear that he will be paid top dollar in the summer of 2019, whether that’s by the Ottawa Senators or one of the NHL’s other 30 clubs.

“When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going,” Karlsson told the Ottawa Sun Thursday in Brooklyn.

Questions about the two-time Norris Trophy winner’s unrestricted free agency, which looms in the summer of 2019, were spurred by an interview fellow star defenceman Drew Doughty gave to The Athletic‘s Craig Custance earlier this week.

Both decorated D-men are represented by Newport Sports Management. Both should eclipse P.K. Subban’s league-high cap hit of $9 million at the position, regardless where they sign in 19 months.

“I know I’m going to talk to Karlsson back and forth, kind of see what money he’s looking for,” Doughty told Custance. “I’ll kind of look at what money I’m looking for. I don’t know if he’s going to re-sign with Ottawa. I don’t know if I’ll re-sign with L.A. You just never know what’s going to happen.”

Karlsson’s assertion that he won’t be taking a hometown discount to remain with the club he led to the 2017 Eastern Conference final comes at a nervous time for Senators fans.

Ottawa is mired in a seven-game losing streak, and Karlsson — who is still recovering from ankle surgery — has failed to register a point during that slump.

The small-market Senators, who operate on a budget below the league’s cap, already traded away No. 1 centre Kyle Turris this season in part because they didn’t believe they could match Turris’s asking price in free agency.

“I think it’s time to realize that when we go to the table, it’s business on both parts, not just [owners],” Karlsson said. “That’s the business part of it. That’s the way every player has been treated ever since this league has started, and I think the players have been a little bit on the other side of things when it comes to negotiations.”

Karlsson, 27, has two more seasons remaining on his current six-year, $45.5-million contract. He currently carries the 11th-highest cap hit among all NHL defencemen at $6.5 million.

Since the NHL instituted a hard cap, players of Karlsson’s talent don’t hit the open market in their prime. The right-shot defenceman has 473 points through 574 games.

Karlsson’s contract does not include trade protection. In theory, the Senators could extend their captain for eight more years as early as July 1, 2018, but they also need to re-sign star forward Mark Stone (RFA) this summer.

The team simply cannot afford to let a player of Karlsson’s calibre walk away for no return.

“I like it here, I’m comfortable here, I’ve been here my whole career,” Karlsson said. “It’s something that I invested all my time in and something I would like to see all the way through. But at the end of the day, when it comes down to it, if it’s not the right fit and it’s not going to work out business-wise, then you’re going to have to look elsewhere because that’s what [owners] are going to do, as well.”

Ottawa faces arena uncertainty, rumours (denied by CEO and president Tom Anselmi) of a potential ownership change, and the club covered 1,500 seats at Canadian Tire Centre this summer due to lack of ticket demand.

Karlsson agreed that he would converse with Doughty before making a decision on his asking price for 2019-20 and beyond.

“We’re in a fairly similar boat, and again, when it comes down to it, I’m sure we’re going to have discussions about what we’re thinking and what we’re going to do,” Karlsson said.

“We [need to] get treated like we’re a business, and we’re going to treat everybody else like it’s a business, too.

I mean, he's not wrong here. It's a $&!#ty thing to put out there though if you value your fans at all, especially for the captain of the hockey team. Keep it to yourself, or to an inner circle. Pretty weak actions.

How many teams can afford to drop 10+ million on a defenceman? It wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa moves him for some serious pieces this upcoming deadline should they continue to struggle as they are.

edit: every time I paste an article now it auto adds like 5 spaces between paragraphs...

TO(league cash cow) had horrid contracts in Kessel, Pha9, Clarkson, et al...

- They bring in a cast of league-lackeys to Torrana, to rehabilitate(play hero); including a retirement pkg for Lou Lamo(payback for Kovy-fiasco?)

- What was the price for Ott to take Pha9's Nonis-albatross? Did the league promise to full-court press on a new building?(using media-pressure, Gov't connections..whatever?)

- Today them dirty journo-wh*res AGAIN mentioning a tarp covering 1500 seats..oh the humanity! Watch any games south of border lately, you mealy-mouthed f***ers?

Said it many times. Fine call me a consp-theorist..whatever.

Cdn teams are a lower-tiered f***ing farm, feeder-system for 8 or 10 chosen US markets, top of the pyramid.

Get excited about lotto-wins, or something silly. bc that's all this rigged deck will pay

Karlsson to US market..book it.

Yes, Karlsson will get paid, and will most likely go to a contender. Strange, him being Swedish, he has the opposite attitude the Sedins have. I would be so choked if Horvat blabbed to the press about how he wants a huge raise and how he's willing to play for whatever team ponies up.   

22 minutes ago, luckylager said:

It reads like he's gonna test the market. Ottawa being the tightwad capital of Canada better pony up and match the inevitable 11-12m offer he's going to get from at least 15 teams.

If JB managed to land Karlsson with the twins expired contracts. I'd probably cry every morning as I stared into the micro at the massive tattoo of JB I'd get on my chest. (it would be the eyes bugging out on draft day image)

L2, We'd best steer clear of this starry-eyed, Americanized numbskull. Hell with it - best grow our own.

Karlsson is gone as UFA, they might even trade him for a huge haul before next year's tdl if they feel he's walking. 

During Duchene trade press conference OTT mgmt even said they have 2 years left with Karlsson and they want to try to make a run at Cup in that time. OTT knows he's gone as UFA. He wants to win a couple of Cups. 

I think he goes to the Leafs. That team is perfect for him, offensive up tempo style with lots of talent. 

No one bring up cap issues,,,,, Any team would make necessary moves to make cap space if they could sign Erik Karlsson. 

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Karlsson is gone as UFA, they might even trade him for a huge haul before next year's tdl if they feel he's walking. 

During Duchene trade press conference OTT mgmt even said they have 2 years left with Karlsson and they want to try to make a run at Cup in that time. OTT knows he's gone as UFA. He wants to win a couple of Cups. 

I think he goes to the Leafs. That team is perfect for him, offensive up tempo style with lots of talent. 

No one bring up cap issues,,,,, Any team would make necessary moves to make cap space if they could sign Erik Karlsson. 

Obviously, otherwise why would he and Doughty be making all these comments to the press...

Melnyk's a cheapskate, blahx3

They're at 73 mill cap-expenditure(only 1.7 mill space).

- Stone is a summer RFA, in 2018

- The whole bloody roster looks to be UFA, following summer!(except the two ugly albatrosses, that can't skate)

Forgettabout'it Sophia! Cosmetic surgery can only do so much when in yer 80's!

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Obviously, otherwise why would he and Doughty be making all these comments to the press...

GB,  I think of these team caps as 31 different, 7.5 litre pails. Eventually you've gotta figure all the damned things will be nearly full of sloshing liquid cap. I think this is why the top cats try to get ahead with their early press-negotiating.

Eventually I wonder if this'll become some type of generational-war, between last contract-vets, bridgers & upscale(soon to re-sign) ELC's? The agents appear the overpaid stiffs paid to worry about such bunk; increasingly I wonder if media is the public hill they choose to fight/kill/die upon?

This keeps the press feeling relevant, & the NHL pleased that they can publicly strut about in such a short skirt.

Analogies abound..but I wanted to be a mere hockey fan, not an accounting, calculating F***ing Friedman-keynesian!

Honestly, if Karlsson has even the slightest of interest in coming here, you give him what he wants and don’t think twice about it. He is far and away the best defenseman in the NHL and I would not have a problem giving him upwards of 7 years, $98 million. 

@Nuxfanabroad That war began long ago when the 24 or whatever % rollback happened to guys under contract, then the guys on expiring ones cashed in the following years to make the rollback look as bogus as it was. Salaries probably were getting out of control, but controlling them sure didn't last long. Time for these big names to cash in before the next lockout where who knows what will happen. 

Archived