The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson (discussion)

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Bet ya Ottawa fans boo him in that scenario.

So what if they boo him couple times a year when he's there, I don't even think they will boo him. He's an all time great they know he has to go win a Cup. He'll be on a winning team having the time of his life, Leafs have more fans and they'll be cheering him 41 times per year  in a packed house. build statues of him and name streets after him in Toronto when he wins a Cup. 

He's vastly underpaid on his current contract so OTT fans shouldn't be upset. It's like we had Burrows at 2 mill, EK should be making a lot more than he is and OTT has greatly benefited from that. 

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Why the assumption that EK will sign somewheres? If even bright minds like Poile(Suter to Minny) can get burned by the UFA staring-contest, isn't it possible Dorion may move first?

If they're not in a PO spot, they should take the 5 or 6 assets for this guy. That's what I'd do.

For some reason Dorion wouldn't pony up Melnyk's money for Turris' new contract so they moved him for Duchene, who is also slated to come off the books when Karlsson's contract ends, but we're to believe he'll shell out twice as much for Karlsson? Maybe. He probably should try and retain his franchise defenceman, but if he wants to go all in for the Cup before Karlsson potentially leaves then his window is very small. He basically has this season only to win the Cup with Karlsson or he risks losing him for nothing should he be on the roster post 2018 deadline.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I have nothing to get over. You are the one complaining about fans getting shafted. Its a freaking business. Goodwill has nothing to do with it. This is his last big contract. He needs to take care of himself and his family first. 

If he signs in Toronto he'll make millions in endorsements alone. He'll be the biggest star in hockey in that market and on that offensivley talented team.  You think Leafs fans won't go to games or buy his jerseys because Karlsson left OTT as UFA?? lol. No one cares. Sens fans will be upset but it's a small market which has internal cap. HE's gone. 

That's like saying I don't want McDavid, he had shoulder surgery, or Crosby he had concussion. There isn't a pro athlete alive who hasn't dealt with injuries. THis isn't 1980's, Medical technology is so advanced now. 

Every single GM President and owner of a hockey team in the world would line up to try and sign Karlsson on UFA day. 

I bet Leafs bring in big corporations to the table for endorsements like they tried with Stamkos. If he signs in TOR he likely takes less than he could get in different market. But  he'll more than make up for it in endorsements. 

goodwill has everything to do with it, its what fan bases are built on. If fans think they are going to just get screwed over how long do you think support will last? Its a stupid thing for Doughty to have started in the media, and for Karlsson to yap over. 

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

For some reason Dorion wouldn't pony up Melnyk's money for Turris' new contract so they moved him for Duchene, who is also slated to come off the books when Karlsson's contract ends, but we're to believe he'll shell out twice as much for Karlsson? Maybe. He probably should try and retain his franchise defenceman, but if he wants to go all in for the Cup before Karlsson potentially leaves then his window is very small. He basically has this season only to win the Cup with Karlsson or he risks losing him for nothing should he be on the roster post 2018 deadline.

The premise I've been running with is they've already botched the whole deal in acquiring Pha9, coupled with that monstrosity Ryan-contract.

EK is smart enough to see this poisons the well. Even if he got his filthy lucre, they'd have no space to sign other talent.

SOLUTION!

Trade Karlsson to Dallas(they've got 25 mill coming off books, next 2 summers).

For: Heiskanen, Honka(R & L handed, great young Finnish D), 2018 1st(they p*ssed away on Duchene), 1 contract(for cap) & another prospect.

If Ottawa has 3 great D-prospects(the two Finns & Chabot), it's something to write about. They can then easily handle the two albatrosses, & re-sign fwds up for raises(Stone, Hoff, etc...)

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

goodwill has everything to do with it, its what fan bases are built on. If fans think they are going to just get screwed over how long do you think support will last? Its a stupid thing for Doughty to have started in the media, and for Karlsson to yap over. 

Did you stop being a Canucks fan when they traded Linden? I don't think you did, you're on the boards. 

Or when NAslund signed with NYR as UFA. 

Support for who? I haven't read anywhere that Sens fans are protesting and boycotting games. And I doubt Leafs fans or Jets fans or Rangers fans would stop going to games if EK signed on there team as UFA. 

Some people live in a fairly tale make belief world removed from reality,  NHL is a business, mutli billion dollar business. Players change teams all the time, in every sport. He'll have a lot more fans if he signs in a bigger market, he'll sell a lot more jerseys and he'll make millions in endorsements. I'm not sure who will stop supporting him except few thousand OTT fans who will be upset for a few months. In the grand scheme of things that means absolutely nothing. 

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Escrow creates a false cap.  

So how does that afect Karlsson, He pays same escrow on any team, 

Or are you suggesting he will make more if his salary is tied to endorsement deals. So 10 mill salary 3 mill endorsements in Toronto vs 13 mill salary in Carolina. He pays escrow on 10 mill vs 13 mill? Makes sense he'll save half mill or so. 

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Did you stop being a Canucks fan when they traded Linden? I don't think you did, you're on the boards. 

Or when NAslund signed with NYR as UFA. 

Support for who? I haven't read anywhere that Sens fans are protesting and boycotting games. And I doubt Leafs fans or Jets fans or Rangers fans would stop going to games if EK signed on there team as UFA. 

Some people live in a fairly tale make belief world removed from reality,  NHL is a business, mutli billion dollar business. Players change teams all the time, in every sport. He'll have a lot more fans if he signs in a bigger market, he'll sell a lot more jerseys and he'll make millions in endorsements. I'm not sure who will stop supporting him except few thousand OTT fans who will be upset for a few months. In the grand scheme of things that means absolutely nothing. 

yah your underlying premise that they are all just a bunch of mercenaries isn't holding up. Linden came back. He made it clear he didn't want to go. He built a life here after the game. The Sedin's left money on the table to stay. Lots of players choose to stay in certain places vs. just going for the buck. PK gave a Montreal hospital 10 million ffs  and then that loser Bergevin moved him. 

Of course the elites will get market value. But for Doughty and EK to yap like this is disrespectful to the fans. If I was in LA I'd say move that a-hole for someone who wants to be there. 

oh and I didn't buy a ticket during the Keenan year btw, it pissed me off too much. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yah your underlying premise that they are all just a bunch of mercenaries isn't holding up. Linden came back. He made it clear he didn't want to go. He built a life here after the game. The Sedin's left money on the table to stay. Lots of players choose to stay in certain places vs. just going for the buck. PK gave a Montreal hospital 10 million ffs  and then that loser Bergevin moved him. 

Of course the elites will get market value. But for Doughty and EK to yap like this is disrespectful to the fans. If I was in LA I'd say move that a-hole for someone who wants to be there. 

oh and I didn't buy a ticket during the Keenan years btw, it pissed me off too much. 

How the heck is it disrespectful to you if EK want's to get paid market value. That makes zero sense. It's his job, i'ts a business. You are living in a fantasy world dude. Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

Lots of players leave every year as UFA. This is part of the business. 

Are you suggesting no one will got to Leafs games and EK won't have any fans if he leaves OTT to sign with the Leafs? What exactly are you saying will happen if he signed as UFA on different team for lots of money?

I don't get how you are disrespected by a man who wants fair pay for his work on his next contract.  A man who's currently underpaid and has been for years. 

Players used to sit out and not play because they wanted to re negotiate their contract before they changed the CBA to stop that.  no one stopped going to games. 

If EK leaves to play for different team he'll have more fans because OTT is a small market team. 

22 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The premise I've been running with is they've already botched the whole deal in acquiring Pha9, coupled with that monstrosity Ryan-contract.

EK is smart enough to see this poisons the well. Even if he got his filthy lucre, they'd have no space to sign other talent.

I guess, like everything being discussed in here, that depends on what he decides he wants to make. If you consider a few million dollars being close then the Sens have spent to or near the cap for the past multiple seasons. They probably moved Turris to make sure they kept room for the raises guys like Hoffman and Stone will get, and ensure that if they make Karlsson a fair offer they'd be able to keep him too. The Turris for Duchene deal didn't really change anything cap wise, it just added a top forward for extra year. If the Bobby Ryan contract never happens Turris would likely still be a Senator.

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I read the article about Karlsson in today's paper. I know he wants to get paid, but the way he talks, the Sens mean nothing to him, it's all about the money. Sounds like he has zero allegiance to any team, as long as they make him the highest paid D in the league. Great player, but I lost respect.

Oh no, what will he ever do? Karlsson is leaps and bounds better than Subban. 

Archived