The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IOC bans Russian team from 2018 Winter Olympics

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno, when a gold in the US (in a popular sport at least) makes you millions there will be a huge market for cheating innovation. Thats why I really enjoy the "little" events, no one's retiring to an island being the best at skeleton. 

That's my whole point!  The rich athletes in the biggest Olympic sports are the ones who can afford to cheat.  It's not sponsored by the US government like the Russian scandal was.  That's what got Russia suspended in this Olympics.  It was a state-sponsored doping system.

6 hours ago, 6string said:

Both of your comments are ridiculous, doping is the benchmark in many of the Olympic events as far back as the Summer Games in 1968, please do get caught up.

BTW I gues Obama is a Muslim, Trump is a Russian spy and I'm with the KGB.

Yes facts appear to be ridiculous things to you.    

16 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

It wasn't that Russia was getting caught.  It was that a key person in the cheating squealed on them and provided proof that the Russian government itself was behind the cheating.

Once he squealed, they went back to samples that were years old and tested them with newer techniques and the dominoes began to fall when people started to pop.

In the wealthier nations in the west, the athletes have access to their own money and ready access to people who can help them cheat.  Western governments can't get involved in doping their athletes because the government officials would get arrested and tossed in jail for years, especially here in the US where the FBI would break down doors if they caught wind of it.  Countries such as China and Russia have no such worries.

Maybe because the NCAA has gobs of money, technology, and training, and trainers. They don't need to have the government get involved. 

See Clemson University Steroid Scandal, University of South Carolina Scandal. 

Marion Jones, Tyson Gay, be it baseball, football, or Olympic sports. When there is financial gain to be had by winning, there will be cheaters. 

I'd be curious to see the amount of money the Anti Doping Associations get vs. the programs that are out there. 

Canada is all too aware, because of the Ben Johnson incident. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe because the NCAA has gobs of money, technology, and training, and trainers. They don't need to have the government get involved. 

See Clemson University Steroid Scandal, University of South Carolina Scandal. 

Marion Jones, Tyson Gay, be it baseball, football, or Olympic sports. When there is financial gain to be had by winning, there will be cheaters. 

I'd be curious to see the amount of money the Anti Doping Associations get vs. the programs that are out there. 

Canada is all too aware, because of the Ben Johnson incident. 

My point exactly in my later post.  If you have the money, you can cheat on your own.  In the US and other rich western countries, the money is available to cheat.

22 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

My point exactly in my later post.  If you have the money, you can cheat on your own.  In the US and other rich western countries, the money is available to cheat.

I don't know how many times you have to repeat this for people to get it.

Vladimir Putin will not boycott the 2018 Olympics, allowing athletes to compete under a neutral flag.

"Without any doubt we will not declare any kind of blockade," Putin said. "We will not block our Olympians from taking part, if any of them wish to take part as individuals."

"They have been preparing for these competitions for their whole careers, and for them it's very important."

10 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

I don't know how many times you have to repeat this for people to get it.

I was wondering that myself.  :lol:

I think that some people just skimmed the lengthier posts that I made trying to explain the whole big picture.  No biggie though.

5 hours ago, 6string said:

Evidently you have issues with yourself, your weak submissions are self defeating.

Let it go cowboy.

nothing to let go.  Doping came into prominence during the cold war where many countries or sporting organizations did it on a systematic basis.  But the cold war is over and for the past 20 years plus there has been a crack down on state sponsored doping.  There is no example in recent years that is comparable to the Russian case - show where? The extent of it has not been denied by Putin himself.  Your suggestion that it is the norm in sport is completely out to lunch.  In fact you don't as far as I can see really have any point at all.  I think it was something like it is a hypocrisy because there has been doping since 68.   Your suggestion that it is a hypocrisy makes it very clear that you don't know in any detail what the Russian olympic officials were doing and clearly caught doing.   

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

nothing to let go.  Doping came into prominence during the cold war where many countries or sporting organizations did it on a systematic basis.  But the cold war is over and for the past 20 years plus there has been a crack down on state sponsored doping.  There is no example in recent years that is comparable to the Russian case - show where? The extent of it has not been denied by Putin himself.  Your suggestion that it is the norm in sport is completely out to lunch.  In fact you don't as far as I can see really have any point at all.  I think it was something like it is a hypocrisy because there has been doping since 68.   Your suggestion that it is a hypocrisy makes it very clear that you don't know in any detail what the Russian olympic officials were doing and clearly caught doing.   

Yawn.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176993-ranking-the-15-most-disgraced-athletes-in-last-25-years-of-us-olympic-history

2 hours ago, 6string said:

That was too easy to find, China is even easier...

From SI https://www.si.com/olympics/2017/10/24/chinese-doping-scandal-1980s-1990s-ard-broadcast

I said for the past few decades I gave that time  because of the Chinese scandals.  But China, as well documented, has cleaned up its various sporting organizations.  So your point is a non point with me. As for your American example those are individuals and the bleacher report is not exactly a credible source.  There is no case of sporting organizations in the US deliberately helping players cheat by providing them with drugs or helping them cheat tests.   Again your comparison are way off.    You seem to not understand what systematic means.    

Yes, it is easy to find info on google, but as you show very difficult to know which info is credible or not.   That takes critical thinking skills.    You are showing your age.    

White House says no decision made yet on US participation in Winter Olympics

Nikki Haley said yesterday it was an 'open question' but no one really took that seriously. Now the White House said no decision has been made.

The US has security fears due to the high tensions between North and South Korea (where the Olympics will be held)

If Russia and the US pull out of the Olympics, there would be a lot of flag waving in Canada. France has also said it won't send a delegation if it's worried about security.

http://www.forexlive.com/news/!/white-house-says-no-decision-made-yet-on-us-participation-in-winter-olympics-20171207

Doesn't have to do with Russia but it's relevant. Figured I'd dump it in this thread.

Canada and other smaller western countries are going to seriously gobble up Olympic medals if both the US and Russia are not in the games.  Unless of course the athletes instead decide to compete independently under the Olympic flag.  Even then, a good number won't be able to afford their own way to the games, not to mention their coaches.

14 hours ago, samurai said:

I said for the past few decades I gave that time  because of the Chinese scandals.  But China, as well documented, has cleaned up its various sporting organizations.  So your point is a non point with me. As for your American example those are individuals and the bleacher report is not exactly a credible source.  There is no case of sporting organizations in the US deliberately helping players cheat by providing them with drugs or helping them cheat tests.   Again your comparison are way off.    You seem to not understand what systematic means.    

Yes, it is easy to find info on google, but as you show very difficult to know which info is credible or not.   That takes critical thinking skills.    You are showing your age.    

Yet another of Samurai's farcical one-man shows.

Are you working on a series?

Archived