The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CANUCKS vs SEATTLE

Boudrias

I don't see any mention of Seattle city counsel voting for a $600 million reno of the downtown arena. Finished by 2020 it would be a NHL quality venue. This would be a huge deal for the Canucks as it puts another NHL team within 2 1/2 hours of Vancouver. Less travel and a natural rival. 

My only hope is that this will be a relocation of Arizona and not an expansion. Not likely as a $600 million price tag will be hard to pass up on an expansion sale. +/- $20 million to each NHL franchise.  

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't see any mention of Seattle city counsel voting for a $600 million reno of the downtown arena. Finished by 2020 it would be a NHL quality venue. This would be a huge deal for the Canucks as it puts another NHL team within 2 1/2 hours of Vancouver. Less travel and a natural rival. 

My only hope is that this will be a relocation of Arizona and not an expansion. Not likely as a $600 million price tag will be hard to pass up on an expansion sale. +/- $20 million to each NHL franchise.  

Back to the old Vancouver Canucks vs Seattle Totems rivalry.....bring it on!

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Like this?  :lol:

I don't think it really matters if it's relocation versus expansion.  There will still be a sizable fee.  I think either way it would be great to have another geographical rival for the Canucks.

"For a quarter, that's all it takes to move this franchise", one call in a pay phone. Well that's' what was said of Vancouver by Burke and you didn't hear the NHL shouting that down, but Arizona? Now there is a franchise that Bettman would camp out in the city screaming at the top of his lungs would not be moving.

The Coyotes saga has been going on for just about their entire tenure in that town.

With what the NHL got for Vegas and how Vegas is doing they might try for more than a 500 million fee and certainly don't want to take less for a movement fee.

I wonder if the NHL might be looking into expanding beyond 32 teams? With Seattle and Houston in the west and adding Quebec in the east?

That could be over a 2 billion dollar windfall for the NHL if franchises are sold for 700 mil each. A ludicrous number considering some franchises are worth half that if that much at all.

Arizona makes sense. As it is, the Canucks don't really have a rivalry with other teams, except maybe CGY. But CGY's rival is really EDM. It's a given that Canucks fans don't like CHI or BOS either, but that was due to a few years of battling in the playoffs. I could see both buildings (Seattle and Vancouver) just rockin' when these two teams meet. I could see Seattle stealing our colour scheme though lol Maybe they'll add that ugly neon green as trim. 

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Arizona makes sense. As it is, the Canucks don't really have a rivalry with other teams, except maybe CGY. But CGY's rival is really EDM. It's a given that Canucks fans don't like CHI or BOS either, but that was due to a few years of battling in the playoffs. I could see both buildings (Seattle and Vancouver) just rockin' when these two teams meet. I could see Seattle stealing our colour scheme though lol Maybe they'll add that ugly neon green as trim. 

Image result for seattle totems uniform

1967 uniform for Seattle Totems

24 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With what the NHL got for Vegas and how Vegas is doing they might try for more than a 500 million fee and certainly don't want to take less for a movement fee.

I wonder if the NHL might be looking into expanding beyond 32 teams? With Seattle and Houston in the west and adding Quebec in the east?

I don't believe the appetite is there for going beyond 32 teams right now.  I think what we will see is one more new team and a couple of moves.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Like this?  :lol:

I don't think it really matters if it's relocation versus expansion.  There will still be a sizable fee.  I think either way it would be great to have another geographical rival for the Canucks.

Money aside I did not want another expansion team ala Vegas. Don't want another team getting a free pick like Sbisa. Carolina and Arizona are on the ropes so I suspect a transfer unless the owners can snag some big $'s. 

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Money aside I did not want another expansion team ala Vegas. Don't want another team getting a free pick like Sbisa. Carolina and Arizona are on the ropes so I suspect a transfer unless the owners can snag some big $'s. 

But I think you are going to see both.  Maybe Arizona to Seattle, Florida or Carolina to Quebec and expansion to Houston.

It's just a prediction and I don't have a very good track record with predictions.  But I think in a few years the NHL will look a fair bit different than it does today.

It will be nice to have the Sonics back.  I hope they drop the super from Supersonics.  I don't think they would be a good NHL market.  It's a funny city.  Seahawks are huge....nobody cares about the Mariners.  Horrible locations too.  I have had to park miles away from Seahawk games.

Las Vegas was in part brought to the NHL to rival the Arizona Coyotes regionally. Bettman has poured NHL ( fans ) money to subsidize this failed Arizona franchise to hide yet another of his poor franchise decisions along with Atlanta, Florida and Carolina.

I'd love to see Seattle take this franchise and make it work, it would tie in nicely with the Pacific Division.

I would love to see this happen as soon as possible.  With this latest development, maybe this might happen depends on what type, whether it be relocation or expansion.  I would expect Arizona to be moved despite what Gary Bettman said that they will never be moved.   If the situation does not change, owners and players will not accept this on money losing franchise and may vote Gary out and we all can hope that it might happen.   

Archived