The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CANUCKS vs SEATTLE

Boudrias

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

It will be nice to have the Sonics back.  I hope they drop the super from Supersonics.  I don't think they would be a good NHL market.  It's a funny city.  Seahawks are huge....nobody cares about the Mariners.  Horrible locations too.  I have had to park miles away from Seahawk games.

Interesting post. 

When I first moved to Vancouver in 93, no one cared about the Seahawks, the Sonics were peaking, and people actually got excited about the Mariners.

A lot of people want the Vancouver/Seattle rivalry. You have to start somewhere. 

If Seattle gets an NHL team, then there will be 9 teams in the Pacific division and 7 in the central. People will say just move the Coyotes to the Central but they are in the Pacific time zone. This will be an unpopular decision but to even this out, I can see the NHL moving The Avs to the Pacific but at the same time moving the Flames & Oilers to the Central. That would give the Jets 2 Canadian divisional rivals but the Canucks will lose out on seeing the Flames & Oilers more often then they're use to.

2 hours ago, 6string said:

The name Totems might be called into question by the Social Justice Warriors, they are always looking for something to tear apart.

Less likely I think. Totems is more of a part of first nations' society rather than derogatory like Blackhawks, Indians, and Eskimos. There is a difference.

This about it this way, if it were an issue, why was the Vancouver 2010 Olympics logo of an inukshuk.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Interesting post. 

When I first moved to Vancouver in 93, no one cared about the Seahawks, the Sonics were peaking, and people actually got excited about the Mariners.

A lot of people want the Vancouver/Seattle rivalry. You have to start somewhere. 

Well part of it is the Mariners being a bad team for the last 20 years.  So many of my friends in Seattle just don't go because it's such a pain in the ass getting to and from the game, especially during the week.

19 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Less likely I think. Totems is more of a part of first nations' society rather than derogatory like Blackhawks, Indians, and Eskimos. There is a difference.

This about it this way, if it were an issue, why was the Vancouver 2010 Olympics logo of an inukshuk.

Okay thankyou PC police officer.

26 minutes ago, TheRick said:

If Seattle gets an NHL team, then there will be 9 teams in the Pacific division and 7 in the central. People will say just move the Coyotes to the Central but they are in the Pacific time zone. This will be an unpopular decision but to even this out, I can see the NHL moving The Avs to the Pacific but at the same time moving the Flames & Oilers to the Central. That would give the Jets 2 Canadian divisional rivals but the Canucks will lose out on seeing the Flames & Oilers more often then they're use to.

That would make sense if they decided to make daylight saving time permanent like Saskatchewan but they failed to pass in the provincial legislation recently.  So if they decide to make this permanent in the future, I can see them splitting up the Canucks to join with Jets in the same division as they might play same time as CST.  I would not mind Canucks losing Albertan teams in exchange for a Seattle team and play most of their away games in Pacific Time Zone.  Would be nice to see Portland as a part of NHL city someday.  Technically, Arizona is in Mountain Standard Time throughout the year with part of year merges with Pacific Daylight Time in the spring/summer.  So this is irreverent since majority of their season would be same with Mountain Time Zone.   

Depending on what schedule matrix and format they might use for a 32-team division.  I can see a 4 conferences with 2 division within, North and South for a 6-4-2 matrix, 6 games vs 3 divisional teams, 4 games vs 4 conference games and 2 games vs 24 rest of the teams in the league.  Best of them all, the total doesn't change a bit, 82 games without adding an extra games against outside conference or even within conference.  Honestly, I prefer this format for the best of the Canucks overall travel, North would be VAN, SEA, CGY, EDM then south would be LA, ANA, SJ, LV.

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I would love to see this happen as soon as possible.  With this latest development, maybe this might happen depends on what type, whether it be relocation or expansion.  I would expect Arizona to be moved despite what Gary Bettman said that they will never be moved.   If the situation does not change, owners and players will not accept this on money losing franchise and may vote Gary out and we all can hope that it might happen.   

Earliest would be the 2020/2021 season.

59 minutes ago, TheRick said:

TV will remind us of McDavid often enough...

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

Well part of it is the Mariners being a bad team for the last 20 years.  So many of my friends in Seattle just don't go because it's such a pain in the ass getting to and from the game, especially during the week.

It is a sh**show down in that area for parking. I just wish the city could get it together to make it all work. It's not like there isn't demand. Sonics never should have left and should be sharing a building with an NHL team.

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

That would make sense if they decided to make daylight saving time permanent like Saskatchewan but they failed to pass in the provincial legislation recently.  So if they decide to make this permanent in the future, I can see them splitting up the Canucks to join with Jets in the same division as they might play same time as CST.  I would not mind Canucks losing Albertan teams in exchange for a Seattle team and play most of their away games in Pacific Time Zone.  Would be nice to see Portland as a part of NHL city someday.  Technically, Arizona is in Mountain Standard Time throughout the year with part of year merges with Pacific Daylight Time in the spring/summer.  So this is irreverent since majority of their season would be same with Mountain Time Zone.   

Depending on what schedule matrix and format they might use for a 32-team division.  I can see a 4 conferences with 2 division within, North and South for a 6-4-2 matrix, 6 games vs 3 divisional teams, 4 games vs 4 conference games and 2 games vs 24 rest of the teams in the league.  Best of them all, the total doesn't change a bit, 82 games without adding an extra games against outside conference or even within conference.  Honestly, I prefer this format for the best of the Canucks overall travel, North would be VAN, SEA, CGY, EDM then south would be LA, ANA, SJ, LV.

That being the case, then Arizona can move to the Central and have a rivalry with the Jets.::D One thing I don't like about having multiple divisions is if one of the divisions is a dud, meaning the top team in that division is under 500, that sub 500 team will get a top 4 playoff spot in the conference. On the other hand if a division has all the teams over 500, then one of those teams that deserve to be in the playoffs will miss because of that sub 500 team getting in.

Houston (has a potential owner) gets expansion.

Seattle (almost certain) or Kansas City (unlikely, but they have an arena) is used as leverage (Calgary) or threat (Arizona) in the west.

Quebec City is used as leverage/threat in the east.

League tops out at 32.  If there ends up being more teams available in the west, then I see Nashville moving over to the east.  When I look at a map I would think more than St. Louis or Chicago.

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Will never happen while Bettman is permitted to destroy the sport, but if the NHL head office had a functioning brain cell somewhere in their ranks, we would see:

Carolina moves to Quebec

Arizona moves to Houston

Seattle expansion

A lot of things to dislike about the NHL. My biggest beef is that it is a eastern dominated org. IMHO the biggest threat to NHL hockey is over exposure as fans can watch multiple games daily. Burnout? Combine that with the competition of electronic media. Will actually going to a game become such a costly and physically painful exercise that fans decide to plop down on the sofa more and more? 

Is Bettman really killing hockey? I don't see that at all. Ya, he has some underperforming franchise and your suggestions for relocation sites make a lot of sense. From the business perspective the NHL is doing more than just OK. Going rate for a franchise is likely north of $700 mil. Investors are clamouring for locations.  More cost certainty is in the business with a CAP which apparently is going to $85 million. Top that with American media buying into the NHL. The NHL maximizing all areas of merchandizing and alternate revenue streams. It was not that many years ago when the NHL was almost a pure play on gate receipts. Bettman has taken the NHL to a Tier 1 sports franchise. It is no wonder he has a blank cheque from the owners. 

On the hockey development side it is all about growing the sport in the USA. Brock Boeser and his generation are the result IMHO. American teams are regularly winning world competitions. There is still much room for growth in the American market. From a Canadian perspective it might become more questionable whether Canadian franchises will be able to keep up. The revenue sharing between orgs might save them and that is a Bettman initiative. Another move I support Bettman in was his flipping the bird at the IIHO. If the NHL organizes World hockey tournaments it is a better option than supporting a corrupt international org riven by crooks.     

I'm old enough to remember the Canucks in the old Western Hockey League in the late sixties when they played against the Seattle Totems (some other teams in the league were the Portland Buckeroos, the Phoenix Roadrunners, the San Diego Gulls, the Salt Lake Golden Eagles, Denver Spurs, etc.).

It would be great for Vancouver to have a close-by rival in Seattle.  I've thought about possible NHL city alignments and I put together this list consisting of 8 divisions (4 West and 4 East divisions with 4 teams each - assuming Arizona and Carolina move).  The top two teams from each division would qualify for the playoffs.  I'm going to stick my neck out and assume that Carolina (or possibly Florida) moves to Quebec City and Arizona moves to Houston.  Here is my list:

Possible Future NHL Alignment

West or some other name

Pacific NW -  Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle

Southwest - San Jose, Anaheim, LA, Vegas

Midwest - Winnipeg, Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis

Central - Chicago, Nashville, Columbus, Detroit

East or some other name

Canadian - Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City

Atlantic (or Metropolitan) - NYI, NYR, New Jersey, Boston

Northeast - Buffalo, Washington, Philadelphia, PIttsburgh

South -  Houston, Dallas, Tampa, Florida

I'm sure Bettman would like this so he could keep as many of the Canadian teams as he can in one division :)

Archived