*Buzzsaw*

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

THE PHENOMS

- Daniel and Henrik Sedin

THE ROOKIE SENSATION

- Boeser

THE YOUNG GUNS

Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Gaunce, Goldobin

THE MISFITS OF HIGH HOPES PAST (OUT TO PROVE THEY'RE STILL VERY GOOD AFTER BEING TRADED MORE THAN ONCE)

- Vanek, Gagner, Eriksson, Sutter, Burmistrov, Del Zotto

FORTIFICATION

- Markstrom, Nilsson, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson

YOUNG MOBILE DEFENDERS

- Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot

FUTURE STARS

- Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko

Benning has assembled a nice looking team so far. He's a great drafter, but he's also made some nice trades to get Baertschi, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, and Pouliot.

Best looking group I've ever seen. Should make a movie.

7 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Is this how HF boards reconcile Jim making a great move?  Rutherford was feeling sorry for him?

I call shennanegans.  You’re trolling.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Im putting you on ignore list for claiming I made troll post. Clearly we are on different levels of thinking. No point in getting each other's way. 

Haha, now you've done it.  I've called him out several times for trolling us and he claims he "ignored" me too, yet says he can see if I quote him... and won't stop PMing me now.  Says I'm stalking him, lol.

Yeah, issues.  Oh look, he just PM'd again!

Creepers gon' creep.

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think JB has a good rep with the league and teams will listen to his trade talks. 

Plus Trev too. I think if there's deal out there,  they can at least get to the table for offers, because of their professionalism and reputation.

Analogous to good gardening practice, of maintaining rich, fertile soil.

Contrast with the case of Gillis, arranging a decent deal was like planting the crop on a shifting sand dune.

49 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Haha, now you've done it.  I've called him out several times for trolling us and he claims he "ignored" me too, yet says he can see if I quote him... and won't stop PMing me now.  Says I'm stalking him, lol.

Yeah, issues.  Oh look, he just PM'd again!

Creepers gon' creep.

sounds remarkably familiar.

Only trade I had a problem with was the Shink trade, mostly cause I feel like we never gave him a fair shot but that is looking like I was in the wrong in a big way. But with that said I loved the Baer, Goldy, Dahlen, Pouliot trades instantly. Obviously Goldy and Dahlen was out with the old in with the new, I can't imagine anyone had a problem with those trades. Lol.

6 hours ago, gerry35 said:

It's amazing to me when people have so much invested in being negative that they actually come up with far fetched ideas like that. The words "I was wrong" are very hard for some to say, it's easier to believe a lie than say those 3 little words.

Logged in just so I could + you.

HF Boards is cancer

It's funny because someone went through a LOT of trouble to rank every GM in the league only a few months ago and Benning was ranked dead last.
https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/05/03/the-2017-nhl-gm-report-card-part-2/ )

31. Jim Benning – Vancouver Canucks

GM Score (out of 5): 2.3
Best Attribute: Extensions
Worst Attribute: Player Development
Change in total GAR: -45%
Max GAR Ranking: 17th

It’s hard to discern whether Benning has been hamstrung by ownership, but no team has deteriorated more since 2013. The Canucks have gotten younger recently, but it’s unlikely guys like Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser are going to be enough to turn the team around. While Benning did make some savvy trades at this year’s deadline, with the weight of his tenure stacked against him, it’s highly doubtful he’ll be able to see the Canucks’ rebuild through.

I totally disagree with this and I'm pretty sure I can defend my stance.
Let me give it a shot......:

Not see the rebuild through? Not only will he, in all likelihood he'll be the first General Manager in franchise history to lift a Stanley Cup. The guy has singlehandedly done more in that position, in just 3 years (entering 4th), than any other GM has accomplished in the teams entire history.

As far as drafting, I'm listing all picks, but only commenting on those who are either ripping it up in their respective leagues, or are already in the NHL.
The rest are players still in junior and/or in college/overseas not playing top tier.

Year 1:
Virtanen    / 6th
McCann    / 24th
Demko      / 36th
Tryamkin   / 66th
Forsling     / 126th
Petit           / 156th
Stewart      / 186th 

ALL of those players, save for the last 2, are either NHL players or on the way to becoming NHL players. 

Year 2:
Boeser       / 23rd
Brisebois    / 66th
Zhukenov   / 114th
Neil             / 144th
Gaudette    / 149th
Jasek          / 174th
Olsen          / 210th

Boeser is a stud who was 8 picks away from being a 2nd rounder. Brisbois made the jump to pro this year and they are high on him. Zhukenov also made the jump to pro (KHL), and Gaudette is ripping it up with 20 points in 15 games in likely his last year at NU before turning pro next season.

Year 3:
Juloevi       / 5th
Lockwood  / 64th
Candella    / 140th
Stukel        / 154th
Abols         / 184th
McKenzie  / 194th

Juolevi is a polarizing topic, but he's now got 13 points in 18 games and a +6 in the Finish Elite League and is TPS Turko's #1 Defenceman - as a 19 year old. 
Lockwood honorable mention with currently 11 points in 14 games and a +5 @ U of Michigan. 

Year 4:
Pettersson     / 5th
Lind               / 33rd
Gadjovich      / 55th
DiPietro         / 64th
Rathbone      / 95th
Gunnarsson  / 135th
Palmu            / 181st
Brassard        / 188th

Petersson is the real deal. Made the jump to the Swedish Elite League and has 31 points in 24 games and a +9 playing against men.
He leads his team (Vaxjo HC) in scoring by a full 10 points despite being (barely) 19 years old. The 2nd leading scorer on the team is 30 years old.
Lind is ripping it up for Kelowna with 34 points and a +12, in 21 games.
Gadjovich has 25 points in 19 games for Owen Sound. Likely his last year of junior as he's eligible to play in the AHL next season (turns 20 in October) and has the size to do it at 6'2" 210lbs.
DiPietro 16-7-0 and a .918 SV% has him on Hockey Canada's radar (see further notes below) 
Palmu... all 5'6" 175lbs of him! Has 15 points in 29 games as Juolevi's teammate for TPS Turko / Finish Elite League. Also just 20 years old.

4 drafts = 28 players.
5 are NHL players in Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Forsling and Tryamkin. (yes I'm counting him even though he left because he's definitely an NHL caliber player, and a high one at that)
5 more are knocking hard on the door in Gaudette, Juolevi, Petterssn, Lind, Gadjovich. Pettersson especially is in elite company. (see note re: Dahlen below) 
*It's not a stretch in any conversation to say that all 10 of these players will have NHL careers of some length. 
10 out of 28 = 36% 
Or, more than 1 out of ever 3 players Benning has drafted over 4 years, turns into an NHL player. 

That was just draft picks. How about transactions? 
- Janick Hansen for Goldobin, who now seems to be a fixture in our top 6. 
- Boucher off waivers
(note: Boucher and Goldobin singlehandedly turned the offence around for Utica this year leading the team in scoring by more than a point per game each)
- Jonathan Dahlen for Burrows. Dahlen is ripping it up in Sweden 1st division. Leading his team in scoring with 22 points in 18 games as a 19 year old.
- Chatfield signed as a free agent from under Detroit's nose. Currently in Utica. 21 year old 1st year pro defenceman. 
- Dorsett for a 3rd rounder
- Baertschi for a 2nd rounder
- Lack to Carolina for a 3rd AND 7th rounder
- Shinkaruk for Granlund.
(Granlund has 40 points in 112 games since, and broke out last year with 19 goals. Shinkaruk has 2 points in 14 games total for the Flames. He's an AHL player)
- Ryan Miller for 3 years which probably saved us from breaking records, and not good ones.
- Vrbata for 2 years. Got 90 points out of him.
- Bonino and Clandening for Sutter. (I cancelled the picks out) And Sutter has been every bit the "foundational player" Benning said he would be. 
- Vanek is exactly the kind of free agent player and character guy this team needed. On pace for 53 points @ $2 Million
- Eriksson...... LOTS of money and term.... but looks like Greener lit a fire under him and he's turned it on and also kick started the Sedins, which was the plan from the beginning.

- I'm probably missing some and obviously didn't include any deals that fell flat, because my point is to show what he did do that helped, and look where we are now because of it. You can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs eh!

ALSO OF NOTE: 
Hockey Canada released their 2018 World Junior Selections today. 

Gadjovich, Lind, and DiPietro were all invited.
That's THREE selections to the highest level junior hockey tournament in the world representing Canada out of 8 picks, in one draft class. 

(full list here:  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/watch-live-hockey-canada-announces-2018-wjc-selection-camp-roster/  )

In conclusion, the link I posted above regarding Jim Benning being the worst GM in the NHL is complete horse%$*!, so disregard it. 

Sincerely,
darkpoet

[ bows to the crowd. walks away, lifts leg and farts]

2 hours ago, billabong said:

Benning trade abilities are underrated

Yes, vey for 2nd was a dud 

and jury is still out on gudbranson 

but the rest are pretty solid off the top of my head

Theres other gm’s who have made 10x worse trade than a 2nd for vey 

His biggest blunder to date may have been Forsling for Clendening. Not too bad for JB all around.

5 hours ago, Whorvat said:

And if this is your only gripe with JB, well, I think I'll leave it at that.

Juolevi over Tkachuk.  $36 million for Loui.  Trading a young first-round pick for a d-man who has some of the worst stats in the entire league (and drags everyone he plays with down with him).  Then, calling him (and Sutter) 'foundational' players.  Looking back on it now, we basically got nothing-of-value for Kesler, one of the best defensive forwards in the league.  He intentionally threw last-season into the trashcan, literally threw an entire year away (and got nothing but a 5th overall out of it).  We had Tryamkin, a giant of a man who was destined to be the d-man we've always dreamed of - and the horrible mismanagement he received pissed him off so badly that he basically quit the NHL.  Firing Gilman (one of the dumbest moves the Canucks have ever made) - and, oh look, all of a sudden we have contract/cap-issues!  Keeping our scouting staff for years (although, granted, Benning eventually learned how awful they were and canned their asses).  Letting Sbisa go in the expansion draft for nothing (we should have traded two eligible players for one mid-season to prevent that from happening).  He picked up just-enough decent players to guarantee we don't get a decent draft-pick in June, but not enough to ensure we end up better than like 15th in the league.  Etc...

Oh, and it wasn't just me.  Benning was recently ranked dead-last amongst NHL GM's.  Now, I wouldn't rank him anywhere near last.  But, then again, I wouldn't rank him anywhere near first either...

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

This is not remotely true... and I was someone who wanted the Canucks to draft Nylander and thought it was painfully obvious that Nylander was the better pick. That said.... you're cherry-picking stats. He scored 39 points in 39 games as one of the youngest players out there.

He was drafted first overall in the WHL entry draft FFS. Stop making up a background story that has no factual basis. Should the Canucks have taken Nylander over Virtanen? Yes. Was there sufficient evidence at the time of the draft to know this? Yes. Was JV "only a decent hockey player for like 1.5 seasons"? No. That's some dumb talk right there. He had very good tournaments at both the U17 and U18 and at the WCC-16. In fact, regarding the latter, nobody scored as many goals as JV did in the history of that tournament.

So, I say he only had 1.5 decent seasons - and you say I'm wrong, because he played great at two tournaments that just so happened to occur DURING the middle of those 1.5 seasons???

Oh, and I like how you say he was the youngest player out there - when the two players who outscored him on his own team were the same age as him!  As were a bunch of players on other teams (who also outscored him that year).  And, you say I'm cherry-picking!

EDIT:  Oh, and what on earth are you talking about that Ehlers and Nylander weren't dominant throughout their careers.  Here, go look.  You'll notice that both players were either playing way above their weight-class, or dominating.

55 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Juolevi over Tkachuk.  $36 million for Loui.  Trading a young first-round pick for a d-man who has some of the worst stats in the entire league (and drags everyone he plays with down with him).  Then, calling him (and Sutter) 'foundational' players.  Looking back on it now, we basically got nothing-of-value for Kesler, one of the best defensive forwards in the league.  He intentionally threw last-season into the trashcan, literally threw an entire year away (and got nothing but a 5th overall out of it).  We had Tryamkin, a giant of a man who was destined to be the d-man we've always dreamed of - and the horrible mismanagement he received pissed him off so badly that he basically quit the NHL.  Firing Gilman (one of the dumbest moves the Canucks have ever made) - and, oh look, all of a sudden we have contract/cap-issues!  Keeping our scouting staff for years (although, granted, Benning eventually learned how awful they were and canned their asses).  Letting Sbisa go in the expansion draft for nothing (we should have traded two eligible players for one mid-season to prevent that from happening).  He picked up just-enough decent players to guarantee we don't get a decent draft-pick in June, but not enough to ensure we end up better than like 15th in the league.  Etc...

Oh, and it wasn't just me.  Benning was recently ranked dead-last amongst NHL GM's.  Now, I wouldn't rank him anywhere near last.  But, then again, I wouldn't rank him anywhere near first either...

you got the wrong number.

HF boards is over there ---------->

you sound like an 'analytics' guru.  go ahead and elaborate on those claims.  And while you're at it, think about how ironic it is that you're whining about losing Sbisa (after all the B.S. 'analytics' directed at him) in the context of your comments about Gudbranson and Sutter.  You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

19 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

So, I say he only had 1.5 decent seasons - and you say I'm wrong, because he played great at two tournaments that just so happened to occur DURING the middle of those 1.5 seasons???

Oh, and I like how you say he was the youngest player out there - when the two players who outscored him on his own team were the same age as him!  As were a bunch of players on other teams (who also outscored him that year).  And, you say I'm cherry-picking!

EDIT:  Oh, and what on earth are you talking about that Ehlers and Nylander weren't dominant throughout their careers.  Here, go look.  You'll notice that both players were either playing way above their weight-class, or dominating.

1st overall draft pick in the WHL draft means he played at an extremely high caliber before all of those tournaments I discussed. So the Calgary Hitmen and their paid staff know less than you? OK there bud. 

And WTF are you talking about saying that I indicated EHlers and Nylander weren't dominant? Log off.

18 hours ago, oldnews said:

Pittsburgh dealt Jordan Staal to Carolina for Sutter and the 8th overall, with which they took Pouliot.

Vancouver dealt Bonino, Clendening and pick 55 (Gustavsson)  to Pittsburgh for Sutter and pick 64 (Lockwood)

Vancouver deal Pedan and 4th 18 to Pittsburgh for Derrick Pouliot.

So they've effectively gotten both pieces Pittsburgh received in the Jordan Staal deal. 

Pitt got Bonino, Clendening, Pedan, a 4th (and 9 spots up from 64 to 55)

Similarly....

Vancouver dealt Kesler, 3rd, for Bonino, 1st/McCann, Sbisa, 3rd/Dorsett.

Bonino and Clendening became Sutter

McCann, 2nd became Gudbranson.

Sbisa buffered Van in the expansion draft - enabled them to retain Gaunce.

Kesler became the principal in both the Sutter and Gudbranson deals.

Funny thing -

Sutter, Gudbranson, Pouliot for Kesler, 2nd, 4th.

Some of us actually debated the possibility of Kesler to Pittsburgh for Sutter, Pouliot and a third piece at the time Kesler was otb.

So essentially Rutherford has traded both Sutter and Pouliot (8th OA) twice and both to the same team at separate times. 

JB hoped to get Sutter and Pouliot for Kesler, 3 years later and a whole lot of moves he has Sutter and Pouliot. 

Thats two determined GM’s, Rutherford apparently wants nothing to do with Sutter and Pouliot and JB was dogged in getting both.  

Strange days.  To think if Kesler has gone to Pits, he’d have two cups by now. 

EmW

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

So essentially Rutherford has traded both Sutter and Pouliot (8th OA) twice and both to the same team at separate times. 

JB hoped to get Sutter and Pouliot for Kesler, 3 years later and a whole lot of moves he has Sutter and Pouliot. 

Thats two determined GM’s, Rutherford apparently wants nothing to do with Sutter and Pouliot and JB was dogged in getting both.  

Strange days.  To think if Kesler has gone to Pits, he’d have two cups by now. 

EmW

Nah, Pitt only won those Cups because they had Bonino.

And Rutherford only traded Pouliot to Vancouver because....Bonino lol.

Anyhow, yeah, there are some strange roundabouts involved and a good point you make that Rutherford dealt those players twice.

Rutherford is one of the most over-rated GMs in the game imo.  The original Staal deal was a horrible move for Carolina.   Any GM could have won Cups in Pittsburgh with that winfall of assets he inherited.  They are the definition of accidental champions.

I welcome the prospect of Benning continuing to deal with him.

2 hours ago, darkpoet said:

It's funny because someone went through a LOT of trouble to rank every GM in the league only a few months ago and Benning was ranked dead last.
https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/05/03/the-2017-nhl-gm-report-card-part-2/ )

I totally disagree with this and I'm pretty sure I can defend my stance.
Let me give it a shot......:

Not see the rebuild through? Not only will he, in all likelihood he'll be the first General Manager in franchise history to lift a Stanley Cup. The guy has singlehandedly done more in that position, in just 3 years (entering 4th), than any other GM has accomplished in the teams entire history.

As far as drafting, I'm listing all picks, but only commenting on those who are either ripping it up in their respective leagues, or are already in the NHL.
The rest are players still in junior and/or in college/overseas not playing top tier.

Year 1:
Virtanen    / 6th
McCann    / 24th
Demko      / 36th
Tryamkin   / 66th
Forsling     / 126th
Petit           / 156th
Stewart      / 186th 

ALL of those players, save for the last 2, are either NHL players or on the way to becoming NHL players. 

Year 2:
Boeser       / 23rd
Brisebois    / 66th
Zhukenov   / 114th
Neil             / 144th
Gaudette    / 149th
Jasek          / 174th
Olsen          / 210th

Boeser is a stud who was 8 picks away from being a 2nd rounder. Brisbois made the jump to pro this year and they are high on him. Zhukenov also made the jump to pro (KHL), and Gaudette is ripping it up with 20 points in 15 games in likely his last year at NU before turning pro next season.

Year 3:
Juloevi       / 5th
Lockwood  / 64th
Candella    / 140th
Stukel        / 154th
Abols         / 184th
McKenzie  / 194th

Juolevi is a polarizing topic, but he's now got 13 points in 18 games and a +6 in the Finish Elite League and is TPS Turko's #1 Defenceman - as a 19 year old. 
Lockwood honorable mention with currently 11 points in 14 games and a +5 @ U of Michigan. 

Year 4:
Pettersson     / 5th
Lind               / 33rd
Gadjovich      / 55th
DiPietro         / 64th
Rathbone      / 95th
Gunnarsson  / 135th
Palmu            / 181st
Brassard        / 188th

Petersson is the real deal. Made the jump to the Swedish Elite League and has 31 points in 24 games and a +9 playing against men.
He leads his team (Vaxjo HC) in scoring by a full 10 points despite being (barely) 19 years old. The 2nd leading scorer on the team is 30 years old.
Lind is ripping it up for Kelowna with 34 points and a +12, in 21 games.
Gadjovich has 25 points in 19 games for Owen Sound. Likely his last year of junior as he's eligible to play in the AHL next season (turns 20 in October) and has the size to do it at 6'2" 210lbs.
DiPietro 16-7-0 and a .918 SV% has him on Hockey Canada's radar (see further notes below) 
Palmu... all 5'6" 175lbs of him! Has 15 points in 29 games as Juolevi's teammate for TPS Turko / Finish Elite League. Also just 20 years old.

4 drafts = 28 players.
5 are NHL players in Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Forsling and Tryamkin. (yes I'm counting him even though he left because he's definitely an NHL caliber player, and a high one at that)
5 more are knocking hard on the door in Gaudette, Juolevi, Petterssn, Lind, Gadjovich. Pettersson especially is in elite company. (see note re: Dahlen below) 
*It's not a stretch in any conversation to say that all 10 of these players will have NHL careers of some length. 
10 out of 28 = 36% 
Or, more than 1 out of ever 3 players Benning has drafted over 4 years, turns into an NHL player. 

That was just draft picks. How about transactions? 
- Janick Hansen for Goldobin, who now seems to be a fixture in our top 6. 
- Boucher off waivers
(note: Boucher and Goldobin singlehandedly turned the offence around for Utica this year leading the team in scoring by more than a point per game each)
- Jonathan Dahlen for Burrows. Dahlen is ripping it up in Sweden 1st division. Leading his team in scoring with 22 points in 18 games as a 19 year old.
- Chatfield signed as a free agent from under Detroit's nose. Currently in Utica. 21 year old 1st year pro defenceman. 
- Dorsett for a 3rd rounder
- Baertschi for a 2nd rounder
- Lack to Carolina for a 3rd AND 7th rounder
- Shinkaruk for Granlund.
(Granlund has 40 points in 112 games since, and broke out last year with 19 goals. Shinkaruk has 2 points in 14 games total for the Flames. He's an AHL player)
- Ryan Miller for 3 years which probably saved us from breaking records, and not good ones.
- Vrbata for 2 years. Got 90 points out of him.
- Bonino and Clandening for Sutter. (I cancelled the picks out) And Sutter has been every bit the "foundational player" Benning said he would be. 
- Vanek is exactly the kind of free agent player and character guy this team needed. On pace for 53 points @ $2 Million
- Eriksson...... LOTS of money and term.... but looks like Greener lit a fire under him and he's turned it on and also kick started the Sedins, which was the plan from the beginning.

- I'm probably missing some and obviously didn't include any deals that fell flat, because my point is to show what he did do that helped, and look where we are now because of it. You can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs eh!

ALSO OF NOTE: 
Hockey Canada released their 2018 World Junior Selections today. 

Gadjovich, Lind, and DiPietro were all invited.
That's THREE selections to the highest level junior hockey tournament in the world representing Canada out of 8 picks, in one draft class. 

(full list here:  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/watch-live-hockey-canada-announces-2018-wjc-selection-camp-roster/  )

In conclusion, the link I posted above regarding Jim Benning being the worst GM in the NHL is complete horse%$*!, so disregard it. 

Sincerely,
darkpoet

[ bows to the crowd. walks away, lifts leg and farts]

Tip of the hat, slow clap of mad respect. Post of the week and a bitch slap to the naysayers on the CDC. 

Well done dark poet. 

Think you were being a tad conservative with your draft percentage... I see 14 NHLers out of 28 or 50%. 

Whether it’s only for a cup of coffee or longer, I will put money on Lockwood, Brisbois, Dipietro and one of either Palma, Gunnerson or JB’s FA prospect signings in Chatfield and MacEwan making appreances in Vancouver. 

(I consider an unsigned or drafted player like that later to be the product of scouting so similar value as a late round pick.). 

EmW

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Tip of the hat, slow clap of mad respect. Post of the week and a bitch slap to the naysayers on the CDC. 

Well done dark poet. 

Think you were being a tad conservative with your draft percentage... I see 14 NHLers out of 28 or 50%. 

Whether it’s only for a cup of coffee or longer, I will put money on Lockwood, Brisbois, Dipietro and one of either Palma, Gunnerson or JB’s FA prospect signings in Chatfield and MacEwan making appreances in Vancouver. 

(I consider an unsigned or drafted player like that later to be the product of scouting so similar value as a late round pick.). 

EmW

I got news I was getting renovicted Tuesday (before the game) so I'm a bit on edge.

Honestly, i only intended to make a quick reply..... but one thing led to another and it turned into a bit of a welcome afternoon obsession/distraction.
I love hockey, but right now, I *$# hate people. 

Go Canucks!
And to the vindictive female POS living upstairs that finally, after 2 years, found a way to have me evicted, good on you. Merry Christmas. 
Someday maybe you'll be faced with a similar circumstance during the holidays , and it'll be your turn to find a new home to live in that you can afford with a 1% vacancy rate, while dealing with a BS denied Ei claim, trying to provide for yourself and 2 dependents, and no work on the horizon for 3 months.

/rant

glad you enjoyed my post 

Archived